• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Meizu Hifi USB-C Headphone Adapter Review

staticV3

Master Contributor
assuming the meizu hifi could switch between 1v and 2v, does headphones sound different at 1v vs 2v ( volume change to get same listening level) ? i am worried/interested about this cable hack : if cirrus logic or meizu engineers detect the headphone impedance and choose 1v instead of 2v, they must have a good reason no ? (lower power consumption, lower noise level, more precise volume control on the volume slider)
Both versions max out at slightly above 1.7VRMS. 2VRMS is out of the question. As for how well they perform at both output levels, please have a look at this review: https://zhuanlan.zhihu.com/p/94991395

amanieux

I really don't know what problem you are trying to investigate /solve. Does the meizu give clean sound at a good volume into your headphones of choice?

If yes, there is no problem. You seem hung up on the volume number between different applications. You know they are at best pretty arbitrary, don't you? If the headphone is the same SPL on 2 different apps but they are at different "volumes", you know its not a fault with the device? The The Spinal Tap amps go to eleven.
i of course never compare volume % across different app, i always compare volume inside the same app pluging/unplugging my iem between the meizu jack and the phone jack while staying in the app
the problem i am trying to solve is 1/practical: i bought an external dac to improve sound over my phone internal dac (bqeyz spring1 iem is supposedly needing an amp to sound good) but i get no improvement in sound quality in a dedicated bit direct audio app or in system audio (youtube spotify etc.. ) 2/intellectual: how can a 100mW dac be at 75% when my internal phone dac that must be around 20mW is at 90% ( android "media volume" slider is linear and not exponential like in uapp proprietary volume slider) so as both aspects are incomprehensible, i am trying to understand if my phone is incompatible with meizu hifi pro.

Last edited:

staticV3

Master Contributor
the problem i am trying to solve is 1/practical: i bought an external dac to improve sound over my phone internal dac but i get no improvement in sound quality in a dedicated bit direct audio app or in system audio (youtube spotify etc.. ) 2/intellectual: how can a 100mW dac be at 75% when my internal phone dac that must be around 20mW is at 90% ( android "media volume" slider is linear and not exponential like in uapp proprietary volume slider) so as both aspects are incomprehensible, i am trying to understand if my phone is incompatible with meizu hifi pro
Your phone needs to provide two things to the Meizu dongle for it to work: power and data.
To make sure that the data you send is as it's supposed to be you can use either UAPP or Hiby and make sure that bit-perfect is enabled.
On the power side of things the Meizu expects and needs a stable 5V DC supply. You can use a USB power meter ($5-15 on Ali) to test that.
If both aspects are where they're supposed to be then the Meizu dongle is compatible with your phone and works as intended.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
the problem i am trying to solve is 1/practical: i bought an external dac to improve sound over my phone internal dac but i get no improvement in sound quality in a dedicated bit direct audio app or in system audio (youtube spotify etc.. ) 2/intellectual: how can a 100mW dac be at 75% when my internal phone dac that must be around 20mW is at 90% ( android "media volume" slider is linear and not exponential like in uapp proprietary volume slider) so as both aspects are incomprehensible, i am trying to understand if my phone is incompatible with meizu hifi pro

I reiterate my first question. Does the Meizu plugged into your Sony phone and headphones of choice deliver clean sound at an appropriate volume? Same question for just the headphones plugged into your phone? Forget numbers on volume sliders or apps used. If answer to both questions is yes, then both devices work fine and the Meizu is "compatible" with your Sony phone.

You set out from the presumption your phone output was sub -standard. I suggest that isnt the case. Or at least not audibly so. So how can an external DAC/ amp improve matters audibly? Now, if either device was actually underpowered/ too high output impedance for your headphones, that would be a different question but doesnt seem to be the case.

As for the power outage of both, without actually measuring said outputs with appropriate measuring tools, I would humbly suggest you are chasing your tail.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Your phone needs to provide two things to the Meizu dongle for it to work: power and data.
To make sure that the data you send is as it's supposed to be you can use either UAPP or Hiby and make sure that bit-perfect is enabled.
On the power side of things the Meizu expects and needs a stable 5V DC supply. You can use a USB power meter ($5-15 on Ali) to test that.
If both aspects are where they're supposed to be then the Meizu dongle is compatible with your phone and works as intended.

HA- just posted similar

amanieux

I reiterate my first question. Does the Meizu plugged into your Sony phone and headphones of choice deliver clean sound at an appropriate volume? Same question for just the headphones plugged into your phone? Forget numbers on volume sliders or apps used. If answer to both questions is yes, then both devices work fine and the Meizu is "compatible" with your Sony phone.

You set out from the presumption your phone output was sub -standard. I suggest that isnt the case. Or at least not audibly so. So how can an external DAC/ amp improve matters audibly? Now, if either device was actually underpowered/ too high output impedance for your headphones, that would be a different question but doesnt seem to be the case.

As for the power outage of both, without actually measuring said outputs with appropriate measuring tools, I would humbly suggest you are chasing your tail.
yes the bqeyz spring1 sounds almost identical on my phone internal dac (sony xz premium), my laptop internal dac (macbook white) and the meizu dac so i am about to conclude as you just did that this iem needed no extra amp and that my phone and laptop dac are as clean as meizu dac.the only little problem with that empirical fact is that contradicts most reviews and customers comments i read about internal phone/laptop dac being worse sounding than a dedicated external usb dac, it would also contradict 12 out of 13 reviews of the spring1 saying that it needed extra amp over phone/laptop to sound cleaner. maybe my hearing is not good enough or trained enough to catch such subtle sound difference but what prevent me from concluding this is that i can clearly hear that my phone dac/audio pipeline is a bit bit bass boosted compared to my lapop dac or meizu dac).

Last edited:

staticV3

Master Contributor
yes the bqeyz spring1 sounds almost identical on my phone internal dac (sony xz premium), my laptop internal dac (macbook white) and the meizu dac so i am about to conclude as you just did that this iem needed no extra amp and that my phone and laptop dac are as clean as meizu dac.the only little problem with that empirical fact contradicts most reviews and customers comments i read about internal phone/laptop dac vs external usb dac, it would also contradict 12 out of 13 reviews of the spring1 saying that it needed extra amp to sound cleaner. maybe my hearing is not good enough or trained enough to catch such subtle sound difference but what prevent me from concluding this is that i can clearly hear that my phone dac is a bit bit bass boosted compared to my lapop dac or meizu dac).
Have you tried the Meizu dongle on PC? If it sounds the same there then that's another good indicator that nothing's wrong with your phone.

amanieux

Have you tried the Meizu dongle on PC? If it sounds the same there then that's another good indicator that nothing's wrong with your phone.
if did a/b testing between pc internal dac and and meizu dac plugged in the pc but i did not do a/b testing between meizu in phone vs meizu in pc, i will do, thanks.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
if did a/b testing between pc internal dac and and meizu dac plugged in the pc but i did not do a/b testing between meizu in phone vs meizu in pc, i will do, thanks.
Just be careful with the volume slider on pc! Needs to be low!

staticV3

Master Contributor
Just be careful with the volume slider on pc! Needs to be low!
yeah, the volume slider on PC is linear I believe. 10/100 is already pretty loud with my 350Ω HD600 when using foobar.
That is with the Meizu Pro (can't find the non Pro right now), but I believe they're equally as loud at high impedances.

staticV3

Master Contributor
Theoretically, yes. Practically, don't worry about it unless you go down to -70dB or so.

Benpowell

assuming the meizu hifi could switch between 1v and 2v, does headphones sound different at 1v vs 2v ( volume change to get same listening level) ? i am worried/interested about this cable hack : if cirrus logic or meizu engineers detect the headphone impedance and choose 1v instead of 2v, they must have a good reason no ? (lower power consumption, lower noise level, more precise volume control on the volume slider)
I would say your problem would come with something like akg 702 with an Impedance of about 60 ohms ish would trigger low Impedance mode but really not enough volume or power for akg therefore sounds better when tricked into high gain. perhaps not such an issue with 32ohm or 16ohm headphones but the extra drive can make a difference to sound or perceived sound best thing to do is experiment yourself and see which you prefer and you are correct volume adjustment are far to big on high gain lowest volume is to loud on sensitive iems. Something like hd 280 pro or akg 702 sound weak on low gain.

amanieux

assuming they both have enough power for the iem/headphone does the meizu hifi non pro sound different from the pro version ? i often read we mostly hear the difference in amp rather than the difference in dac so is the internal amp of the CS43131 in the non pro very different sounding from the combination CS43131+OPA1622 in the pro ( opa1622 which i guess cannot be overriden by a software toggle, unless the high/low gain toggled by the impedance detection bypasses opa1622 in the pro version ?)

Last edited:

Benpowell

assuming they both have enough power for the iem/headphone does the meizu hifi non pro sound different from the pro version ? i often read we mostly hear the difference in amp rather than the difference in dac so is the internal amp of the CS43131 in the non pro very different sounding from the OPA1622 in the pro ( which i guess cannot be overriden by a software toggle unless the high/low gain toggled by the impedance detection bypasses opa1622 in the pro version ?)
The believe on this forum is that dacs sound the same unless they are flawed. however I do not believe this so many factors affect the sound of a dac the power supply has a huge effect on output amongst other things. Not to mention in subjective tests not involving measurements most people tend to prefer the slightly warmer smoother tone of chord and schiit multibit dacs despite quite poor measurements. I have an old jvc Walkman from the 80s probably has 1 of the old Philips chips. I enjoy the sound immensely. And enjoying music is what it's all about so listen with your ears. If you are on a budget go with the standard version. Should be plenty powerful enough. I dont think you can override op amp in pro version to the best of my knowledge.

Veri

Master Contributor
Not to mention in subjective tests not involving measurements most people tend to prefer the slightly warmer smoother tone of chord and schiit multibit dacs despite quite poor measurements.
What makes chord or schiiit 'warm' or smoother sounding? They have literally nothing in common. That alone makes such a sentiment or statement entirely baseless. Can't even tell what makes them warm sounding, lol. "Uh-huh".

Benpowell

What makes chord or schiiit 'warm' or smoother sounding? They have literally nothing in common. That alone makes such a sentiment or statement entirely baseless. Can't even tell what makes them warm sounding, lol. "Uh-huh".
All I ment is that people perceive those products to have slightly more bass and slightly less bright treble. I have no evidence whatsoever to substantiate that claim apart from hearsay and speculation. However it is the way I hear it personally as do many others.

amanieux

comparing meizu hifi pro on macbook white (2009) and on sony xz premium (2017), meizu sounds similar in both device but i notice my regular listening level is 55% when plugged in macbook vs 45% when plugged in sony phone, so volume management is different on different platforms.
my macbook internal dac listening level is 25% so meizu in low gain mode on my 43 ohms iem delivers 2x less power than my macbook internal dac, no big deal as it gives me finer volume control because there are only 16 steps on mac volume slider (still i don't have access to meizu 100 steps on mac, is there a utility/driver i can install on mac os to get 100 steps volume control ?)

meizu compared to macbook internal dac: meizu has more bass and voices are less nasal, soundstage is more centered and closer so sounstage is smaller on meizu (not night and day difference that will let you tell which one is which when listening from scratch (as when i pick my spring1 vs zs10 pro) but still noticeable in a/b testing, so in conclusion i would not really recommend to spend $40 on meizu pro when your device still has 3.5mm audio jack, invest these $40 in a better iem, it will be more noticeable)
meizu vs sony xz premium internal dac was not noticeable, i guess dac made noticeable progress between 2009 and 2020 but not much progress between 2017 and 2020)

Last edited:

Sinquito

Having read three or four threads about the best dongles reviewed here in the last few days (now that I'm about to start living the dreaded dongle life) made me realize that Android vendors didn't get their shit together before getting rid of the good ol' trusty 3.5 mm jack. On one hand I blame Apple for this, but on the other hand, Android vendors should have known better (like LG still does), but at least Apple doesn't have interoperability issues with their own dongles and those are pretty great. The Apple USB type C on Windows 10 sounds great even on my HD600, literally plug and enjoy. Only wish they charged $19 and gave us a better wire, this thing is going to break just by looking a it, let alone unplugging a headphone.

Top Bottom