• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Measurements & Preview of Holo Audio Spring 3 DAC / wPreamp (Prototype)

Music1969

Major Contributor
I have not really compared the sound that way, and anyway any subjective views are unwelcome here anyway (as per this forum, everything sounds the same). I replaced Spring 1 with the new Spring 3 on my office loudspeaker system. Spring 2 is still in my home headphone system (Schiit Jotunheim + Sennheiser HD800). Office headphone system is T+A HA 200 + Solitaire combo.

All running at DSD256 from ASDM7EC modulator.

Hi @Miska

Does Holo designer use HQPlayer?

Have you discussed with Jeff Z about if he used your open source design when designing the DSD section of his Holo DACs?

https://www.signalyst.com/hardware.html

Miska

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Audio Company
Does Holo designer use HQPlayer?

I don't know...

Have you discussed with Jeff Z about if he used your open source design when designing the DSD section of his Holo DACs?

No I haven't... Output behavior looks similar though.

Miska

Audio Company
When you look inside, does the design look similar too?

I can't imagine you haven't opened and looked :D

I haven't opened... But I've seen many pictures of the inside, so I don't have to. In those pictures I see a resistor array that could be configured in a similar way.

I'm just happy about these discrete bit-perfect implementations (T+A, Holo, etc) and how well they perform.

Miska

Audio Company

saich

Yes, it also performs well. But note that my measurements apply to the first generation with AK4490EQ DAC chip! ADI-2 is not anymore available with AKM D/A chips and thus the measurements are not applicable anymore either.

Just out of curiosity, will you be measuring the Spring3 like you did with the previous models? ;)

Miska

Audio Company
Just out of curiosity, will you be measuring the Spring3 like you did with the previous models? ;)

Yes, I did already...

MaxBuck

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, it also performs well. But note that my measurements apply to the first generation with AK4490EQ DAC chip! ADI-2 is not anymore available with AKM D/A chips and thus the measurements are not applicable anymore either.
Very true, but RME has established itself as a highly competent supplier. I'd be shocked if the audible performance has diminished with the new chipset.

saich

Yes, I did already...

Saw it, must've missed it. Thanks for the great work! May I ask what made you go with the L2 instead of L3, given that (I assume) you'd be using USB most of the time, and L3 got the enhanced USB module?

Miska

Audio Company
Saw it, must've missed it. Thanks for the great work! May I ask what made you go with the L2 instead of L3, given that (I assume) you'd be using USB most of the time, and L3 got the enhanced USB module?

I've been sticking to L2 since the first generation. Since I have not seen justification for special PSU transformers or other L3 stuff.

I have not seen clear reasoning which way the L3 USB module is "enhanced". I'm very happy with the current USB module performance. The one in Spring 3 L2 seems to be the same or similar one used in Spring 2 L2 as well.

saich

I've been sticking to L2 since the first generation. Since I have not seen justification for special PSU transformers or other L3 stuff.

I have not seen clear reasoning which way the L3 USB module is "enhanced". I'm very happy with the current USB module performance. The one in Spring 3 L2 seems to be the same or similar one used in Spring 2 L2 as well.

Thanks again for the insight!

Maybe not exclusive to USB, but Jeff says that Spring 3 has the same PLL found on May, hence is one of the biggest upgrades.

As to how the L3 USB module is 'enhanced', here are the photos of the L2 and L3 available on Wildism (see link). Looks like the Titanis module to me, so I take it to be some kind of data handling and/or galvanic isolation? Pure speculation though.

Kenmoreira85

Thanks again for the insight!

Maybe not exclusive to USB, but Jeff says that Spring 3 has the same PLL found on May, hence is one of the biggest upgrades.

As to how the L3 USB module is 'enhanced', here are the photos of the L2 and L3 available on Wildism (see link). Looks like the Titanis module to me, so I take it to be some kind of data handling and/or galvanic isolation? Pure speculation though.
Hmm seems like the module is twice the size on the 3

garbulky

Major Contributor
All the dacs we represent sound identical because they are properly engineered and this is reflected in their measurements, customers choose on aesthetics and mainly the features they require, digital is done.
Keith
Hmm me thinks they choose on measured performance. Have you asked them for is this an assumption?

Miska

Audio Company

There shouldn't be any reason to have a PLL on USB interface. Should be only necessary on S/PDIF and AES/EBU. I rather not have a PLL on USB, just a plain simple high quality oscillator.

What exactly is "Titanis module"? Both seem to have galvanic isolation as before. You can see the isolation chips over the air gap on board.

sq225917

Major Contributor
Given that the l3 usb has one of the lowest measured jitter ever, I'll take that upgrade. Its easy to assume data just goes input socket usb receiver clock dac ladder output, obviously its more complex than that in this case and the extra cajoling yields measured improvements?

Miska

Audio Company
Given that the l3 usb has one of the lowest measured jitter ever, I'll take that upgrade. Its easy to assume data just goes input socket usb receiver clock dac ladder output, obviously its more complex than that in this case and the extra cajoling yields measured improvements?

As I have not seen measurement results for Spring 3 L3 anywhere, I'm just curious about the jitter levels. Here's results for my L2 which are good enough for me.

HoloSpring3_Jtest24_DSD256_1.png

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks! I'm waiting for Roon to work with Primephonic . I'm also waiting for Spotify to go lossless or Qobuz to become more reliable. Don't think I'll hunger strike for these things though. Change takes time.
Qobuz become more reliable? What are you referring to??

saich

There shouldn't be any reason to have a PLL on USB interface. Should be only necessary on S/PDIF and AES/EBU. I rather not have a PLL on USB, just a plain simple high quality oscillator.

What exactly is "Titanis module"? Both seem to have galvanic isolation as before. You can see the isolation chips over the air gap on board.

I don't have any experience witht the Titanis. FWIW here's what it does according to Kistune:

The two main functions of Titanis.
  1. Regeneration of USB power. Power from the computer USB ports are very noisy with a level higher than several mV. Titanis inverts and processes power from the USB source. The regenerated power noise level is only 8 uV, rendering the Noise level reduced by about 1/1000th.
  1. Rebuilding the signal from the USB port. In the computer, the signal consists of a large amount of interference and jitter due to the complicated EM environment and power supply conditions. Titanis receives the signal from USB and puts it in a local buffer, with the use of a local high quality clock, regenerates the USB signal and sends it to output.
The Spring 3 L3 is said to be equiped with the 'Titanis USB Turbo' module.

Top Bottom