• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Measurements of RME ADI-2 DAC and Headphone Amp

ShiZo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Ive talked with rme USA by phone and US suppliers and they seem to think end of dec beginning of jan.

Last edited:

th0m

I have been playing with my new ADI for a couple of days now. I have a couple of questions though; those of you who are using Windows own UAC2 driver, does 16, 24 and 32 all show up as available bit depths in Windows sound settings? For me, all sample rates from 44.1 to 384 show up, but the only available bit depth is 32. Also, when using Tidal in "exclusive mode" my former DAC changed sample rate depending on whether a hi-res album was playing and so on, indicating bit-perfect playback, but the ADI just keep showing the Windows default. Is it that way for everyone?

Schackmannen

Forum Donor
I have been playing with my new ADI for a couple of days now. I have a couple of questions though; those of you who are using Windows own UAC2 driver, does 16, 24 and 32 all show up as available bit depths in Windows sound settings? For me, all sample rates from 44.1 to 384 show up, but the only available bit depth is 32. Also, when using Tidal in "exclusive mode" my former DAC changed sample rate depending on whether a hi-res album was playing and so on, indicating bit-perfect playback, but the ADI just keep showing the Windows default. Is it that way for everyone?
My ADI-2 DAC is back home in another country but IIRC 32 bit was the only available bit depth in the sound settings, which is what you should use anyways. As for when using exclusive mode I don't remember if I ever checked the windows sound settings while playing something other than 44.1 kHz material, but I remember the sample rate indicator on the display of the ADI-2 DAC would change if I played something with a higher sample rate, does it do that for you?

ShiZo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Should i use the windows or rme driver? I see a lot of people using the windows driver.

Tks

Major Contributor
My ADI-2 DAC is back home in another country but IIRC 32 bit was the only available bit depth in the sound settings, which is what you should use anyways. As for when using exclusive mode I don't remember if I ever checked the windows sound settings while playing something other than 44.1 kHz material, but I remember the sample rate indicator on the display of the ADI-2 DAC would change if I played something with a higher sample rate, does it do that for you?

With ASIO/WASAPI or the driver provided by RME, yes the sample rate changes if that is the output the software is making use of. For any other playback, the windows sampler is doing the conversion down to the established option you have in the Sound Settings for the device in the Windows Control panel, so you wouldn't see sample rate changes naturally that deviate from anything other than the sample rate specified by you.

Hilton

Has anyone tested SQ face-to-face with one of those flagships mobile DAP like DX220, or M11 or even one A&K please?? Is it far far away??
Hi @Nango

The below was meant to be a shorter comparison but ended up being a mini-review... anyway on with it..

I have a lot of different equipment and headphones that I've done many many A/B sessions with different combinations.
My favourite is the ADI-2 DAC with Fostex TH610's with +3.5db bass at 65hz and +1.5db 6.5kHz w/ sharp filter using Roon for playback.

The sound is effortless, transparent, powerful without being bloated with a very sweet and extended high-end that's not brittle or harsh.

I would say the ADI-2 DAC is very natural and neutral sounding and the most musical and involving. I can listen for hours without any fatigue and at higher levels than any other combination.

You have to be careful about this, the sound is so clean, smooth and powerful you can easily forget how loud you're listening, which is obviously not good for long-term hearing!

For Comparison I have:
iBasso DX220 with AMP1mkii (stock) AMP8 (balanced 4.4) and AMP9 (Korg Nutube)
FiiO Q5 with AM3A (stock) AM3B (balanced 4.4) and AM5 (high power 3.5)
RME ADI-2 DAC fs (Gen1)

I use them with;
Sennheiser HD600 w/ litz pure silver balanced 4.4mm and litz pure silver 3.5mm cable
Sony MDR-1A DAC Phones in passive mode w/ stock cable bypassing Sony DAC
Campfire Audio Andromeda w/ litz pure silver balanced and stock litz 3.5mm cable
Fostex TH610 w/ litz pure silver balanced 4.4mm, litz silver 3.5mm and stock 6.5mm cable
Sony WH-1000xm3 and Samsung Galaxy buds for travel

https://flic.kr/p/2gq8gRK

The DX220 is a very good DAP - The AMP modules are also all very good with there own sound signatures but I think the dual Sabre 9028Pro DAC implementation still has a little bit of that Sabre Glare that people talk about which is not a problem on any of the head phones except the Fostex TH610 which brings that glaring Sabre top-end out a bit too much. The stock AMP1mkii module (unbalanced) having less power than AMP8, is not able to drive the TH610 as well or the HD600 either.

2pin2mmcx-th610 by Hilton, on Flickr

With the AMP1mkii running out of puff (unbalanced), the AMP8 steps that up, but in doing so also has a little more sparkle that can get fatiguing on the TH610, though with HD600 it is fine and it drives them cleanly and easily. The Andromeda's sound wonderful with their very sweet top end and powerful low-end on just about anything, the only thing that varies is the amount of low end bass and hiss and maybe a slight variation in midrange but that's probably just because different DAC/AMP combinations roll-off or boost the two extremes of the frequencies.

The DX220 sounds a little more energetic and dynamic at first, but I still prefer the ADI-2 DAC with a light bass and treble boost (as noted above) which brings a little more of a more natural dynamic back without making it harsh or fatiguing.

DX220 with AMP9 Korg nutube is a very interesting combo.... It obviously adds a little bit of tube distortion and rounds off the sabre glare really nicely. With Andromeda's the hiss is definitely present on AMP9. Not a problem with IEM on the ADI-2 DAC. Andromeda's are just about my favourite phones right now with the TH610 a very close almost tie. Problem with IEM's as they get a little fatiguing and sore ears after a while, where as the TH610 or HD600 you can wear for hours. The TH610s arent as tight as the Andromeda's in the bass region but sound is more like a good pair of full range speakers cranked up.

I haven't spoken much about the HD600 or MDR-1As.... The HD600 are just wide, deep, clean and smooth and natural on the DX220 w/ AMP8 or ADI-2 DAC. They lack the bottom end of course but for orchestral or acoustic and vocal Jazz there's not much better out there.

The Sony MDR-1A are just fun POP headphones with that Sony house sound that exaggerates the midbass and they are actually very forgiving. They are not particularly resolving but for highly compressed loudness wars type pop music they just groove along nicely.

The FiiO Q5 with stock amp is a very good clean amp, it's also using a dual AK4490EN DAC setup that sound very similar to the ADI-2 DAC.
In fully balanced mode with the AM3B AMP module it's my second favourite combo and again there is a little more punch and sparkle but I think that's due more to the AMP module than the DAC.

So you probably noticed I talked more about the headphone sounds a lot and that's because the headphones make way more difference than the source, DAC or AMP.

Having said that though, it is clear the ADI-2 DAC is a level above the DX220 AMP8 / Q5 AM3B combos.
ADI-2 fs by Hilton, on Flickr

I would go so far as to say the ADI-2 DAC fs is "perfect" and it's exceeded my expectations by a long way.
I started out with HD600's 20 years ago with Sony high-end ES Receivers (yes the same pair I use today that are in as new condition with new pads)

Music has never felt more real and in the moment than with the ADI-2 DAC with TH610 pumping along and I enjoy the combo more than my home system for the first time ever.

For reference I still use a Sony DA5200ES receiver with 6 x floor standing Sony SS-X70ED mains/surrounds and SS-CNX70ED w/ 2 x Velodyne 10" subs that I love the sound of in 2 channel direct mode or in 2.1 and the TH610 with ADI-2 DAC sounds the closest to the speaker system sound that I prefer but cleaner and punchier obviously because you're not dealing with room 'modes' and influences.

In-wall speaker back together! by Hilton, on Flickr

Here's my room corrected sound of my home system to give you an idea of what I like sound wise. I believe in touching the signal as little as possible with DSP and just taming room modes and blending the Subs in nicely with the mains.

I use JRiver with hand crafted DSP correction based on REW measurements.

1-24th-smoothing by Hilton, on Flickr

TH610 response from Innerfidelity.

TH610-innerfidelity-FR by Hilton, on Flickr

I want to say a special thanks to @amirm for all the extensive testing and retesting of the equipment on the forum, I've found it very interesting and I've read both of the ADI-2 DAC threads from start to finish. You're also a top lot here!

I would also say that the empirical evidence stacks up very nicely with what I prefer/hear, though I'm obviously subject to confirmation bias, I love the ADI-2 DAC as a desktop solution, something the DX220 did very poorly due to lots of issues with the XMOS usb drivers being unstable and lots of dropout issues. But for an all-in-one portable solution the DX220 is rock solid. The ADI-2 DAC is very robust on USB even through a USB hub.

My Samsung Tab S4 and S10+ phone don't drive any of the headphones particularly well which is why I have the DX220.

The ADI-2 DAC also works very well with Android tablet OTG using USB Audio Player Pro giving full samplerate/DSD support as well as full Tidal support via USBAPP.

I'm flying in and out for work every week and the ADI-2 DAC comes along for the ride in my carry on and is setup in my hotel with Android tablet driving it perfectly. It also gets used for gaming and whenever at my PC.

At some point I'll get around to setting it up with a couple mono blocks as a dac/pre for 2-channel in media room and w/ my desktop speakers w/ mono blocks.

I use the DX220 in the office and occasionally when out and about with Andromeda's or on the plane with Sony 1000xm3 in LDAC mode.

I use FiiO Q5/AM3B around the house mostly when moving about and doing things as opposed to being in my office/media room. (bluetooth to mobile or sometimes OTG stacked in pocket)

Overall if I could only choose one device now, I would definitely save up for the ADI-2 DAC it's a marvelous piece of engineering easily surpassing all my portable gear. Measurements prove that out, and to my ears it's also pretty clear that the top-end is much sweeter and the bottom-end more natural.

Last edited:

Hilton

I should also say I looked at and auditioned Benchmark DAC3, Brooklyn DAC+ and Marantz HD-DAC1, IFI Pro IDSD and Sony TAZH1ES before settling on the RME ADI-2 DAC fs. Sure I miss full MQA decode on the RME (only first unfold to 88.2 or 96khz from player) but I'm not completely sold on MQA and would rather have DSD and 192khz FLAC. (Plus the remote and all the other DSP features along with that cool understated but serious professional look of the ADI-2 DAC)

Oh and I also have an Audient iD14 that I was using for desktop DAC/AMP duties but it couldn't deliver enough current at higher volumes for the TH610s and not enough voltage for HD600s. The line and mic inputs on this are amazing though. :)

With decent DAC design and filters with a good AMP the advantage of MQA are pretty questionable except for streaming benefits and I have full MQA unfold in the DX220 anyway which is the best use case for MQA.

I also would like to say the TH610 headphones embarrassed many so called high-end closed-back phones.

Tried the Sony Z7m2 and Z1R but they were both a real let down - The 7Zm2 no matter which AMP i used just sound hollow and way too laid back in midrange, Z1R was fuller and warmer but just too bloated in midbass.

Focal Elegia - wow how bright do you like your mix.. they have a clearly elevated top end that doesnt bite as such and it's a bit tamer on AMP9 but with AMP1m2 and AMP8 they'd become fatiguing pretty quickly.

LCD 2 Closed actually sound quite good, but they are very bulky, heavy and ultimately the top end wasnt as smooth as I was expecting with a sibilant S on male and female vocals.

Fostex 900mk2 - wow that's a lot of bottom end (way too much) and I was surprised how sibilant they were too - TH610 is much closer to neutral with a better top-end.

Senn HD820's - yes they have that Sennheiser sound, wide wide imaging, luscious midrange, nicely present and airy treble, present low-end, nothing competes with the combined imaging and midrange and bottom end balance but are they worth $2400??. The bottom end was also a bit lacking compared to TH610.

The Focal Stellia - OMFG!!!! How many unicorns, dolphins and dragons did they slay to create the ingredients for these?? Again I say OMFG!!! These are the real deal, end-game closed backs for sure, no doubt about it... and their price surely shows it, @ $4500 AU that's even a bit rich for me. While I can afford it, I just can't justify it - @ $3500 sure I'd snap them up in a heart beat, so I think Ill just have to wait and be patient until prices start to drop.

Last edited:

Cortes

I should also say I looked at and auditioned Benchmark DAC3, Brooklyn DAC+ and Marantz HD-DAC1, IFI Pro IDSD and Sony TAZH1ES before settling on the RME ADI-2 DAC fs. Sure I miss full MQA decode on the RME (only first unfold to 88.2 or 96khz from player) but I'm not completely sold on MQA and would rather have DSD and 192khz FLAC. (Plus the remote and all the other DSP features along with that cool understated but serious professional look of the ADI-2 DAC)

Oh and I also have an Audient iD14 that I was using for desktop DAC/AMP duties but it couldn't deliver enough current at higher volumes for the TH610s and not enough voltage for HD600s. The line and mic inputs on this are amazing though. :)

With decent DAC design and filters with a good AMP the advantage of MQA are pretty questionable except for streaming benefits and I have full MQA unfold in the DX220 anyway which is the best use case for MQA.

I also would like to say the TH610 headphones embarrassed many so called high-end closed-back phones.

Tried the Sony Z7m2 and Z1R but they were both a real let down - The 7Zm2 no matter which AMP i used just sound hollow and way too laid back in midrange, Z1R was fuller and warmer but just too bloated in midbass.

Focal Elegia - wow how bright do you like your mix.. they have a clearly elevated top end that doesnt bite as such and it's a bit tamer on AMP9 but with AMP1m2 and AMP8 they'd become fatiguing pretty quickly.

LCD 2 Closed actually sound quite good, but they are very bulky, heavy and ultimately the top end wasnt as smooth as I was expecting with a sibilant S on male and female vocals.

Fostex 900mk2 - wow that's a lot of bottom end (way too much) and I was surprised how sibilant they were too - TH610 is much closer to neutral with a better top-end.

Senn HD820's - yes they have that Sennheiser sound, wide wide imaging, luscious midrange, nicely present and airy treble, present low-end, nothing competes with the combined imaging and midrange and bottom end balance but are they worth $2400??. The bottom end was also a bit lacking compared to TH610.

The Focal Stellia
- OMFG!!!! How many unicorns, dolphins and dragons did they slay to create the ingredients for these?? Again I say OMFG!!! These are the real deal, end-game closed backs for sure, no doubt about it... and their price surely shows it, @ $4500 AU that's even a bit rich for me. While I can afford it, I just can't justify it - @ $3500 sure I'd snap them up in a heart beat, so I think Ill just have to wait and be patient until prices start to drop.

I've never listened seriously to closed headphones, because I thought closed was just a liability, an added problem. Are they competitive with the best open headphones?.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I've never listened seriously to closed headphones, because I thought closed was just a liability, an added problem. Are they competitive with the best open headphones?.
I haven't hear the best ones yet, but so far my anser is no, regarding quality of bass and openness of soundstage. Having a HD800 both characteristics may be very hard to beat.

Hilton

Hi there

The short answer is - kind of competitive but different... The longer answer....

Focal Stellia and HD820 come closest to HD800S for openness and soundstage from my auditioning but the physics of a closed back are pretty difficult to overcome.

The TH610 also isn't too bad but simply cant compete with open-back designs for imaging and depth and width of soundstage. It's just a different sound and just as pleasing to me when you're talking top-end closed-back or semi closed-back.

They have their place in noisy environments or where the comfort of others is concerned and they also definitely have their own sound signature that I really enjoy now I've found a pair I like. The closed backs also handle EQ better if that's your thing.

For example, lots of people apply EQ curves to HD600/650 to boost the bottom end, the problem with this is the driver isnt designed to really handle those frequencies without introducing distortion. It's a trade off like all things Audio. Closed backs handle EQ a little better because they arent free resonant like open-back. Similar how a sealed box speaker is tighter down lower and has more control, but it needs significantly more power to drive to the same level as a ported speaker once you start adding EQ.

TH610 are fully closed but there are others that have external ports or classified as semi-closed. The benefit of semi-closed is it helps minimise internal/external noise while allowing less resonance to improve imaging and staging. It also allows pressure to escape when putting them on and allows general tuning. Some semi-closed even allow closing down or opening up the port area to change bass and some resonant frequencies.

Here's a comparison of HD800S to HD820 to illustrate > https://www.rtings.com/headphones/1-3-1/graph#669/3161/290

This is also an interesting read> http://www.brentbutterworth.com/headphone-voicing.html

Last edited:

Spocko

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

The Focal Stellia - OMFG!!!! How many unicorns, dolphins and dragons did they slay to create the ingredients for these?? Again I say OMFG!!! These are the real deal, end-game closed backs for sure, no doubt about it... and their price surely shows it, @ $4500 AU that's even a bit rich for me. While I can afford it, I just can't justify it - @ $3500 sure I'd snap them up in a heart beat, so I think Ill just have to wait and be patient until prices start to drop.
Since we're talking neutral headphones for pro use, what do you think of the open back Beyer DT1990Pro?

th0m

Has anyone been using REW with their ADI-2? I can't seem to be able to make it work. I need to use the Java drivers in REW's soundcard preferences instead of ASIO to be able to use my UMIK-1, but since the ADI-2 only works with 32-bit bit depth when you use the standard Windows driver, REW complains that the device isn't compatible with 16-bit output and won't let me proceed.

Am I missing something? What must I do to make it work?

Last edited:

Willem

Major Contributor
I had no problems at all. umik into laptop usb input and laptop usb output into the adi.

th0m

I had no problems at all. umik into laptop usb input and laptop usb output into the adi.
Could you describe what settings you used? And what drivers did you use with the ADI? Windows? RME? ASIO4ALL?

paradoxical3

After lusting after one of these for a while now I put in a preorder on sweetwater for a the FS version. I hope they arrive soon!

Will be using it with a HD650 and possibly a Stellia.

Top Bottom