• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Measurements of Gustard P26 Preamplifier

yllanos

I'm interested in purchasing a P26. But it annoys me that even after a few years in the market, there is so little information about this device. Literally no content on youtube. And I cannot find any written reviews with pictures.

As someone who is not able to try equipment, I always have to rely on opinions. But in this case is a total shot in the dark.

CleanSound

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm interested in purchasing a P26. But it annoys me that even after a few years in the market, there is so little information about this device. Literally no content on youtube. And I cannot find any written reviews with pictures.

As someone who is not able to try equipment, I always have to rely on opinions. But in this case is a total shot in the dark.
This thread is a review. Are you looking for a long term functional review?

yllanos

This thread is a review. Are you looking for a long term functional review?

Yes. I went through the whole thread already but I just cannot rely on a single source of information, not a good idea for me.

To me, measurements are only part of the equation, they don't provide me all I want to know.

CleanSound

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes. I went through the whole thread already but I just cannot rely on a single source of information, not a good idea for me.

To me, measurements are only part of the equation, they don't provide me all I want to know.
Where are you located? I have return policies where I just have to pay for return shipping.

CleanSound

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Colombia (the country, not the state)
So I got mine.

- Very well built - The entire case and all of it's buttons and knobs are made of metal.

- The version I got, has switchable DIP 8 opamp. Supposedly the newer version, you can't but I asked the retailer if this version you can, they told me yes. So not sure if I got a new, but old stock.

- The power button is a push button switch and you can't control on/off with the remote (I'm not a fan)

- The volume control uses relay switches, so you will hear clicking sound when you turn the volume up or down. And if you hold the button, it will continuously click the volume level you want. (I'm not a fan)

-You can dim the LCD display, but can't completely shut it off (I'm ok with that).

-Awesome feature where you can increase the gain of both input and output by +6db.

-Sound is transparent as it should be given the excellent measurement.

EDIT:
-And obviously, as you already know, it's not 430mm wide, instead it's 330mm wide. So it doesn't match with my other equipment. But 330mm is probably the widest for a Chinese brand, where they (Topping, SMSL, Denafrips, etc.) are usually much narrower.

-Remote is basic but functional. Doesn't matter to me because I use an universal learning remote that I control with my phone.

-Haven't used all the other inputs so far. Will test some more later. But so far, it's a keeper, I will be getting a Apollon amp in the next few months, so I do need a preamp and this does the job. Just wished I can turn it on and off with the damn remote.

Last edited:

yllanos

So I got mine.

- Very well built - The entire case and all of it's buttons and knobs are made of metal.

- The version I got, has switchable DIP 8 opamp. Supposedly the newer version, you can't but I asked the retailer if this version you can, they told me yes. So not sure if I got a new, but old stock.

- The power button is a push button switch and you can't control on/off with the remote (I'm not a fan)

- The volume control uses relay switches, so you will hear clicking sound when you turn the volume up or down. And if you hold the button, it will continuously click the volume level you want. (I'm not a fan)

-You can dim the LCD display, but can't completely shut it off (I'm ok with that).

-Awesome feature where you can increase the gain of both input and output by +6db.

-Sound is transparent as it should be given the excellent measurement.

EDIT:
-And obviously, as you already know, it's not 430mm wide, instead it's 330mm wide. So it doesn't match with my other equipment. But 330mm is probably the widest for a Chinese brand, where they (Topping, SMSL, Denafrips, etc.) are usually much narrower.

-Remote is basic but functional. Doesn't matter to me because I use an universal learning remote that I control with my phone.

-Haven't used all the other inputs so far. Will test some more later. But so far, it's a keeper, I will be getting a Apollon amp in the next few months, so I do need a preamp and this does the job. Just wished I can turn it on and off with the damn remote.

Wow, thanks. This is really helpful for me.

A few questions:
  1. Temperature handling: does it get hot when in operation? (A concern of mine)
  2. I've noticed the screen in quite small, can you see it from let's say, 3 meters away? (This is my only real complaint)
  3. How's the remote? is it heavy? light? how does the buttons feel?
  4. Also about remote: does it have a wide operation angle or do you have to point straight from the front of the unit?
  5. I understand about the relay switching, but how loud does it go when altering volume? Were you able to listen to it when in use?
  6. How long did it take to arrive? (assuming you purchased via Shenzhen audio)

CleanSound

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Wow, thanks. This is really helpful for me.

A few questions:
  1. Temperature handling: does it get hot when in operation? (A concern of mine)
So far, no. Not even warm.

1. I've noticed the screen in quite small, can you see it from let's say, 3 meters away? (This is my only real complaint)
That's a trick question! Depends on how good vision you have, but it's a very simple preamp, there's really not much to read.

1. How's the remote? is it heavy? light? how does the buttons feel?
Cheap, but functional. All plastic and black in color. Again, I don't use it, I have a whole house IR learning remote that's wifi capable.

1. Also about remote: does it have a wide operation angle or do you have to point straight from the front of the unit?
Don't know, b/c I learn the function and put it back in the box.

Here, this is what I use:

1. I understand about the relay switching, but how loud does it go when altering volume? Were you able to listen to it when in use?
Not loud, but you can hear it. However when the music is playing, you don't really hear it that much.

1. How long did it take to arrive? (assuming you purchased via Shenzhen audio)
I got it from Aoshida Audio, bc they have it in silver and they have the model with switchable DIP8 opamps. Took less than 7 days from Hong Kong to US.

yllanos

So far, no. Not even warm.

That's a trick question! Depends on how good vision you have, but it's a very simple preamp, there's really not much to read.

Cheap, but functional. All plastic and black in color. Again, I don't use it, I have a whole house IR learning remote that's wifi capable.

Don't know, b/c I learn the function and put it back in the box.

Here, this is what I use:

Not loud, but you can hear it. However when the music is playing, you don't really hear it that much.

I got it from Aoshida Audio, bc they have it in silver and they have the model with switchable DIP8 opamps. Took less than 7 days from Hong Kong to US.

Great info.

Yeah, the volume level display is a big one for me. I like to disable any volume leveling on source but also have a reference on how loud music gets from one song to another. This is still my biggest turnoff if I wouldn't be able to see it. I use glasses all the time, so in a way I am basically a 20/20 lol. I'm also considering Musician Monoceros, but it is more expensive, and I hate its remote (too big, bulky and too many buttons)

I do own a Logitech Harmony that I used in the past for my home theater, right now is collecting dust on a box somewhere. Controlling from my smartphone is a hard no. Part of the story in my case is to disconnect from it while I am listening to music.

Aoshida actually distributes to my location, so this will be my first choice as well.

Thank you so much for taking the time to answer my questions though, I really appreciate it.

alitomr1979

The rumor of Topping new Preamp is more clear than before - which probably will have 4 XLR and 2 RCA input / output, but without bypass for AVR . Hopefully will see it in market by this year end. Anyway, it is a good thing, a real preamp with competitive price is quite difficult to be found today.
I don't understand how a preamp "does not have horn theater bypass". I have the topping pre90 with the extension and I have my AVR connected to one of the RCA inputs. I set the input to 0.0gain and ran room correction. The pre90 remembers the last volume of each input, which means that when I go to that input it is effectively working as a HT bypass.

If a preamp remembers the volume level of each input it works as a HT bypass. Does the P26 not remember the volume of each input?

How does it compare to the pre90? My only gripe with the pre90 is the terrible reach of its controller. Other than that it is quite awesome. I need (want, actually) another preamp for my living room system.

massimodec

I was looking for a device that could receive balanced XLR from a professional turntable (obviously analog) and give out rca, because of all other devices of my setup.
XLR should be necessary, not only phisically because of the source, but also because of hummings that a very low turntable signal cable can trap from tube transformers and so on.
Maybe it is a bit too expensive for a 'converter', but maybe not ofr a 'good working converter'.
So this one or some Schiit ones...
Any advice would be appreciated. Thx

misterdog

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Topping Pre amp.

raif71

Major Contributor
I don't understand how a preamp "does not have horn theater bypass". I have the topping pre90 with the extension and I have my AVR connected to one of the RCA inputs. I set the input to 0.0gain and ran room correction. The pre90 remembers the last volume of each input, which means that when I go to that input it is effectively working as a HT bypass.

If a preamp remembers the volume level of each input it works as a HT bypass. Does the P26 not remember the volume of each input?

How does it compare to the pre90? My only gripe with the pre90 is the terrible reach of its controller. Other than that it is quite awesome. I need (want, actually) another preamp for my living room system.
Yes, it does not remember the volume of each of its input but only the last level and it will be same for all inputs. For example if you were listening using input xlr 1 and your last setting is 40, when you off and switch back on the unit, all inputs will have the volume level 40.

godmax

Anyone here notices audible transformer hum once the P26 is turned on (regardless if other devices connected to the inputs/outputs or not)?

Top Bottom