• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Measurements and sibilance

Doobrey

I have noticed with a few different dacs I own and tried that some seem to exaggerate or dull sibilance. It’s made me wonder what’s going on to cause this issue, is it as simple as the digital filter type or is there something deeper within the measurements that would make sibilance such an issue on some dacs?

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Were these side by side comparisons and did you match levels? Level differences can make sibilince seem more or less. Yes, depending upon the filter that might influence it as well.

nerdemoji

I have noticed with a few different dacs I own and tried that some seem to exaggerate or dull sibilance. It’s made me wonder what’s going on to cause this issue, is it as simple as the digital filter type or is there something deeper within the measurements that would make sibilance such an issue on some dacs?
please tell us each one and what you think you are hearing with each.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Sibilance is usually something between 6-10 khz. So differences in frequency response could cause a difference in what is heard. An early and slow roll-off filter might be heard this way if one were to key on sibilance in the upper part of that range.

Sokel

Master Contributor
If too many DACs do that I would look at the speakers,their placement,room,etc.
DACs are ruler flat for decades now,this 4-10Khz range who causes this problems must be observed carefully before buying speakers,to some people (me amongst them) this is a torture ,specially an elevated 4-6Khz and more so combined with a thin midbass which strangely seem to correlate.

Top Bottom