• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Measurement and Review of Schiit BiFrost Multibit DAC

icefirex

Have the tests been done with the USB Gen 5 board ? Will that improve the results ?

icefirex

Would SPDIF always be the preferred input? I assumed USB would have better results?

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Would SPDIF always be the preferred input? I assumed USB would have better results?
In Schiit DACs with less than "Gen 5 USB" the USB interface is not well implemented and S/PDIF does better.

Dana reed

In Schiit DACs with less than "Gen 5 USB" the USB interface is not well implemented and S/PDIF does better.
Or the modi 3, which afaik doesn't have "Gen5" USB, just a much better implementation of the cmedia receiver.

Jimster480

Major Contributor
Or the modi 3, which afaik doesn't have "Gen5" USB, just a much better implementation of the cmedia receiver.
I believe it is Gen5.
Gen5 is just a better implementation of the C-Media USB receiver.
There are no other chipsets running on Schiit products right now as far as I have seen.

rebbiputzmaker

Major Contributor
I believe it is Gen5.
Gen5 is just a better implementation of the C-Media USB receiver.
There are no other chipsets running on Schiit products right now as far as I have seen.
The Modi 3 is not Gen 5 is you read the specs.

Dana reed

Yes, I think the way they implemented the electrical isolation in the Gen5 USB was not amenable to the smaller DACs due to the space required to do it. So the modi 3 isn't Gen5, nor are the add-in 4490 or multibit cards for the Jotunheim and Lyr3.

MusicNBeer

Forum Donor
Oh man this thread is fun to read. The subjective audiophools will defend anything with the most rediculus rationale. Warm up for days for best performance? LMAO. How did they design it if it keeps changing performance over days?:facepalm::facepalm:

MusicNBeer

Forum Donor
The good new is anyone with a PC sound card can validate these results.:D

kman1211

I have the Lyr 3 Multibit and while I'm happy with the amp I'm honestly I'm finding the DAC just plain sucks; it's soft, veiled, lacking clarity, depth, and dynamic range. After hearing it, it doesn't surprise me the Schiit Multibit DAC's measures so poorly; had to go back to my old DAC and the amp actually sounds like it should now. My mistake for not reading up on the measurements ahead of time. Thank you for posting these measurements, the DAC does really does seem to sound as bad as it measures.

MusicNBeer

Forum Donor
Hi Kman,
Did you conclude the Dac was bad prior to, or after, you saw the terrible measured behavior here? I ask because the mind can massively alter your perception. Just a thought, as many think these multi bits sound great, even with the poor design engineering. A DBT of these mixed with a proper design would be really interesting.

kman1211

I researched the DAC's measurements afterwards, I was wondering why it was so dull sounding. It's very smooth sounding though and does seem to pair well with some gear so I can understand why people like it. I'll spend more time with it though and see if my impressions change any compared to other DACs, maybe I am jumping to conclusions and letting bias from previous experience influence my views as it's definitely different sounding.

Last edited:

shanecoughlan

Forum Donor
Nah. You get an A+ for helping create good information for future purchasers. Much appreciation for loaning it to me. :)

Exactly! @Sylafari, thank you so much for providing this unit for review. It’s so valuable to dig into the good and not so good results we get from devices.

PLB

These measurements don’t seem to be the same as John Atkinson got in his measurement tests.

Jimster480

Major Contributor
These measurements don’t seem to be the same as John Atkinson got in his measurement tests.
JA did get some bad measurements with Schiit products. But he specifically downplayed the horrible measurements that he got; likely due to a nice payment from schiit.
If you check his reviews and measurements of other products; he condemned them for poor measurements when they still measured better than some schiit products.
ALthough as @Dana reed mentioned; I think he measured the AKM 4490 version of the bifrost which does measure better than the multibit version.

PLB

Hmmm... I think the review I read was for the Bitfrost #2 , which he said the measurement was very good for the price range. I’m not sure if that’s the same as the AKM 4490? I’m presently in the market for a new dac, and have been reading up. I thought I had it narrowed down between the mojo and the bitfrost based on the reviews I been reading, but I may have to re think that. Currently have an Arcam Irdac, so lm looking for something better.

majingotan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hmmm... I think the review I read was for the Bitfrost #2 , which he said the measurement was very good for the price range. I’m not sure if that’s the same as the AKM 4490? I’m presently in the market for a new dac, and have been reading up. I thought I had it narrowed down between the mojo and the bitfrost based on the reviews I been reading, but I may have to re think that. Currently have an Arcam Irdac, so lm looking for something better.

Own both like I do since they serve a completely different purpose and if you really need Mojo as desktop DAC, just remove the battery and run from mains.

The Bifrost 2 uses the AD5781ARUZ DAC chip instead of AKM 4490

On a side note, what made you interested in the Bifrost 2 or Mojo? Is it sound upgrade? Hate to break it to you but Bifrost 2 and Mojo won't improve your sound one bit. It would be wise to just perform room treatment and DSP to your speakers and actually hear significant sonic upgrade

Last edited:

Dana reed

Is this a recent Stereophile reviewing Bifrost 2 that's not online yet? I don't subscribe.

Top Bottom