• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Master Thread: Are measurements Everything or Nothing?

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I could be wrong, but I don't think it is about "understanding" the test results. It is more about believing there are things that affects the so called sound quality to the ears, that, or cannot even be measured. It is just another one of those posts/comments/opinions that are obviously subjective based, to the point there is no way minds can be changed regardless. He said the Marantz 8801 did the best...., yet after I got the Denon AVR-X4400H, I demoted my AV8801 to one of my 2 channel setup and eventually gave it away. Funny he also mentioned MRX, well, last year I replaced my Denon with the AVM70, and while I do prefer the AVM70 as it seems to sound different (better I guess) with movies, yet they both sound very good with music listening. If we sample 100 people, we can be sure opinions would be all over the map. Many people believe in trust the ears is the best policy, that pretty much close the door to any other suggestions, let alone counter points.:D
Yes, I think you are correct. I was replying to the comments as follows. :D
First and foremost i respect this site and what it provides. However most of this information from these readings are false or have no bearing on sound. Your ears are what matter, not what electrical current chart show.

kjasey

In reply to Doodski, its not fair to claim the AVR390 isnt a worthwhile receiver based on electric tests rather than listening. Im here for the comments and try to steer people in the proper direction based on my real world experience. When he tests his gear on the bench, is the gear connected to a power conditioner? Any kind of power spike can throw these measurements off. And to answer your question...No. i dont know most of what these measurements mean. Im not an engineer but the people who designed Arcam for the last 50 years are and im quite sure they have better equipment then Audio Science guy.

I agree with Peng. Nice reply sir. May i ask what amps you were using with the marantz 8801? I loved the surround capabilities of the MRX series, however i found them to be glitchy. Loud pops between changing bitstream and PCM audio formats.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
In reply to Doodski, its not fair to claim the AVR390 isnt a worthwhile receiver based on electric tests rather than listening.
Fully agreed!

Im here for the comments and try to steer people in the proper direction based on my real world experience.
I respect your opinion based on your real world experience, but I don't know about "in the proper direction", as mentioned often, once own experience based on one's subjective observations/impressions are subjective, hard to know if that could, or should be considered proper without defining what proper means.
When he tests his gear on the bench, is the gear connected to a power conditioner? Any kind of power spike can throw these measurements off. And to answer your question...No. i dont know most of what these measurements mean. Im not an engineer but the people who designed Arcam for the last 50 years are and im quite sure they have better equipment then Audio Science guy.
That might have been a valid point, but Amir measured so many devices so if something like that would have thrown those measurements off he would know it, even we, who have looked at almost every single AVRs/AVPs he measured, would know, as least know to suspect the results and asked him about it.

Amir did mention that the one he reviewed was a refurbished unit so may be there was some issues right there. Interestingly, the relatively poor measured performance on the were based on HDMI input, but in pure direct mode using analog inputs, the performance jumped to 92 dB SINAD, that's excellent!

Not that on that same chart, the Denon AVR-X3500H wasn't too far behind, so I was not surprised to find my AVR-X3400H (returned it for the X4400H after 2 weeks) and AVR-X4400H performed better than my Marantz AV8801. If your Denon sounded the way it was to you, I would suspect there could other reasons, such as setting, or whatever, the might have escaped your noticing at the time if you only compared the two briefly. I never doubted the Arcam can sound really good, but I do doubt the Denon would sound so much less good.

Even the relatively poor performance when HDMI input was used, SINAD of 81 dB, or 0.009% THD+N still would put it in the below audibility threshold so we should not be surprised we find this AVR nice sounding.

index.php

I agree with Peng. Nice reply sir. May i ask what amps you were using with the marantz 8801? I loved the surround capabilities of the MRX series, however i found them to be glitchy. Loud pops between changing bitstream and PCM audio formats.
In my HT application I was using it with the Anthem MCA20, Outlaw M2200 (for the LCR), and Marantz MM8003 (for the surround/height channels). After I demoted it to my second, or third stereo systems I had tired it with at least 3 or 4 of my power amps including the Halo A21, Bryston 4B SST, a buckeye amp and a Purifi amp made by VTV.

Again, funny you mentioned Anthem's, I had owned two AVM70s, the first one (4K, that I traded in for the 8K model) also had the occasional loud pops that would come anywhere but mostly on my left surround speaker and it would only do it when something's change in the content, such as when watching YT stuff, when the show returned after commercials. The second unit did it only a few times for the whole time, and I was nicely surprised. Better still, for months now it never popped again so I assume the last couple of FW updates fixed it.. If you still own one of those, you should make sure you are at the newest FW version.

Lastly, I would highlight the fact that the Arcam did not do bad at all in some measurements such as the one below:

Clearly, in direct mode, analog input, this thing had much better measurements than the Denon AVR-X4700H, infinitely better than the NAD T758V3, that also managed to impressed their owners, at least some of them.

Bottom line, distortions, if better than say even 70 dB SINAD, is not a good indicator for perceived sound quality at all. As Amir mentioned many times, measurements that are not good enough for him to put the devices in his recommended list did not mean the poorer performance in some of those tests would be "audible".

index.php

kjasey

Thanks for the info sir! Im still in the first impressions stage of the Arcam and your charts are something a can reference with. I was so impressed i bought a second unit for upstairs. It will replace the Cambridge Audio CRX200. For the record, i go through gear like crazy. Always searching for "that sound".

I did sell off my Anthems. Would buy again in the future if the bug hits me.
Lets talk Denon. I was able a few years back to buy 4 brand new units of the x6400h for cost. I sold 3 and opened one for sound testing. For some reason the sound didnt agree with me. I didnt run the mic setup but i have my own calibration tool to set the SPLs. Soundstage for me was small and less engaging from what im used to. Not to mention you can fry an egg on the unit after little use. I believe this would be the reason Denon engineered their newer receivers to have an amp shut off option. The newer 4700h which i purchased after reading Amirs review ran cool as a cucumber after several hours of use. But as mentioned before, it let me down the same way the 6400 did:(
Our ears are different, but if you can find an Arcam avr390...$500-$600 buy it and do the Dunkirk opening scene. Youve got some great amps to pair with it, Give it a shot and get back to me.

MarcT

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Thanks for the info sir! Im still in the first impressions stage of the Arcam and your charts are something a can reference with. I was so impressed i bought a second unit for upstairs. It will replace the Cambridge Audio CRX200. For the record, i go through gear like crazy. Always searching for "that sound".

I did sell off my Anthems. Would buy again in the future if the bug hits me.
Lets talk Denon. I was able a few years back to buy 4 brand new units of the x6400h for cost. I sold 3 and opened one for sound testing. For some reason the sound didnt agree with me. I didnt run the mic setup but i have my own calibration tool to set the SPLs. Soundstage for me was small and less engaging from what im used to. Not to mention you can fry an egg on the unit after little use. I believe this would be the reason Denon engineered their newer receivers to have an amp shut off option. The newer 4700h which i purchased after reading Amirs review ran cool as a cucumber after several hours of use. But as mentioned before, it let me down the same way the 6400 did:(
Our ears are different, but if you can find an Arcam avr390...$500-$600 buy it and do the Dunkirk opening scene. Youve got some great amps to pair with it, Give it a shot and get back to me.
Hmm, my 4700 will get very hot if I elect not to use ECO mode, which is why I put a set of those Infinty AC fans on top of it.

bodhi

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Don’t be daft. It’s far easier to throw about insults, slathered in hyperbole, than actually explain something calmly and logically.

This is, after all, the interweb.
The reason for that kind of argument is usually that the person is used to discuss in some kind of echo chamber where mostly everyone agrees with each other already, in this case they all know everything matters in audio. Just flinging that kind of argument to debunk some uncomfortable test is accepted at face value, given plenty of likes and everybody can just go on blabbering about power cables etc.

One can witness the phenomenon in many short lived visits by subjectivists: first they seem to be confused when they need to actually prove what they are claiming. Next comes accusations of hostile atmosphere, refusal to understand and then they just disappear, back to friendly territory.

kjasey

That is interesting. Im assuming your using preamp only mode. I usually shut eco mode off. Im not sure now that you mention it. Nonetheless...several hours of use yielded a less then warm to the touch. The denon wasnt in a cabinet so guess that would help too.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
its not fair to claim the AVR390 isnt a worthwhile receiver based on electric tests rather than listening.
The use of tests with repeatable results indicate some deficiencies in the design of the unit. The purpose of the tests is to provide a comparison to the models specification claims by the manufacturer. In this case some obvious design parameters are lacking. This serves many people by giving them a reference to compare and see a real life test by a independent reviewer/tester. @amirm is a established working <EE > engineer that has held prestigious and very demanding positions @ major corporations and even had a staff of I think it was 1200 engineers that he was responsible for. @amirm is a professional expert in metering equipment at a extremely high level of repeatable accuracy. You can trust his metering capability and his test results.
When he tests his gear on the bench, is the gear connected to a power conditioner? Any kind of power spike can throw these measurements off.
There is only one way to answer your question without getting really technical so I am just going to be short about this answer. With the way the audio equipment power supplies are made these days they have more than enough capability to smooth out any irregularities in the AC mains electricity. Even the Arcam tested in this review has a power supply that will smooth out all the stuff in the AC mains power. Power conditioners for realllly high end metering stuff and I don't mean audio gear I mean lab equipment metering down to parts per million or more accuracy may benefit from a AC mains dedicated supply. They are very large as in fit on a forklift pallet, cost several+ tens of thousands of dollars at least and require people that know how to use one. The power conditioners that you see for audio gear are not that. They are near all of them snake oil because they don't provide a measurable benefit or a audible benefit. If somebody has taught you to want a power conditioner then you have been hoodwinked. My best advise is don't waste your money and buy better speakers with that power conditioner money. As per spikes throwing off a measurement @amirm has that stuff covered in his lab. No worries we know all about this sort of stuff and you can rest assured that issue is covered.
No. i dont know most of what these measurements mean. Im not an engineer but the people who designed Arcam for the last 50 years are and im quite sure they have better equipment then Audio Science guy.
Arcam is Arcam and they have engineers although they have a budget for manufacturing gear. They took shortcuts and it shows in the test results. ARCAM is not a leader or anything like that, they are a small company, small staff budget in comparison to many big operations. I am not saying ARCAM cannot make good gear because there are people/engineers that design alone and make some of the best stuff out there. It took them years to develop and bring to market but they got everything right. Like Dan Clark Audio for example.

About the test metering gear. @amirm owns and operates the best testing gear available today. The stuff is current models and is regarded by the entire world's professionals as a standard in metering gear. ARCAM will not have anything better and even if they did/could it would look bad on them for not testing properly and seeing the deficiencies in the ARCAM 390 tested here. If you want to know about his metering gear I can help a bit but @amirm is the guy in the know and he has everything you need to know if you want that.

So... All in all I have explained simply about what is going on. I have not fluffed it up or anything like that. Just the raw goods for you. :D

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
. Im here for the comments and try to steer people in the proper direction based on my real world experience.

Most come here to get away from the kind of unsupported claims common out there in audio land, so I hope you don't mind that I moved this series of posts to this thread, where we endlessly debate the same things.

...No. i dont know most of what these measurements mean. Im not an engineer but the people who designed Arcam for the last 50 years are and im quite sure they have better equipment then Audio Science guy.

Do you know anything about your host here? Funny comment coming from someone who claims:
First and foremost i respect this site and what it provides.

Maybe slow your roll a little and do some more reading, both in this thread and the rest of the site to get a better idea of what we are about before trying to steer any more people.

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
In reply to Doodski, its not fair to claim the AVR390 isnt a worthwhile receiver based on electric tests rather than listening.
It’s completely fair. The first thing a piece of equipment has to do is meet spec. If it can’t, into the bin.

For the record, i go through gear like crazy. Always searching for "that sound".
Sorry to hear that. Measurements can really help with the speaker part of your search. Most of what you think is different in electronics comes from sources other than the electric/audio signal, as that can be measured far more sensitively than your ears, and most electronics behave reasonably well.

Last edited:

FWLarson

Forum Donor
502 Mk2 a couple of $K higher. Considering the strong opinions on this thread, I presume everyone here has heard it for comparison… or had it for audition. If not, one must be judging by measurement only (wrong IMO). Our in-system experience has been fabulous audio. It doesn’t do windows, but reveals a panoramic window into the recording itself.

Last edited:

MacClintock

Addicted to Fun and Learning
502 Mk2 a couple of $K higher. Considering the strong opinions on this thread, I presume everyone here has heard it for comparison… or had it for audition. If not, one must be judging by measurement only (wrong!). Our in-system experience has been fabulous audio. It doesn’t do windows, but reveals a panoramic window into the recording itself.
Like does every transparent measuring DAC, starting from the Apple dongle for $9 and going over several desktop devices for even below $100. No need to hear it, for a DAC, the measurements reveal everything that needs to be known.

bec143

I don't understand. Have all of the people who vote heard this thing? That seems unlikely. Ate they voting based on the review if not?

Arnas

there's a sucker born every minute...
You guys remind me of woman who believe in astrology

DrCWO

Audio Company
Forum Donor
The 502-mk2 still in everyday play here. A few cable changes since original install, but never any complaints with SQ or utility in our system. No regrets on the $$ either. I think this is a keeper.
Just get one of the cheap DACs with high SINAD and compare. If your amp is starte of the art you should be able to hear the difference :)

JayGilb

Major Contributor
The 502-mk2 still in everyday play here. A few cable changes since original install, but never any complaints with SQ or utility in our system. No regrets on the $$ either. I think this is a keeper.
The 502-mk2's specs are below the level of audibility, it's just that you pissed away several grand for no reason and that is your right to do.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
I don't understand. Have all of the people who vote heard this thing? That seems unlikely. Ate they voting based on the review if not?
A dac is a converter, you don’t need to hear a particular product ( although this is the often heard cry from the subjectivists) if the component isn’t adding audible distortion then it is transparent.
The only question is then am I prepared to pay x amount extra for a smart case/aesthetics.
Keith

rdenney

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
First and foremost i respect this site and what it provides. However most of this information from these readings are false or have no bearing on sound. Your ears are what matter, not what electrical current chart show. I own the Arcam avr390 and the Denon X4700h. I used both these devices using external amps. Arcam hands down is the winner here. Arcam has a beautiful separation in soundstage. It engulfs you in tight engaging warm sound. Its a musical with a flat response when it comes to stereo. In other words its not overly musical where you hear any sibilance. Then Denon on the other hand was dull and lifeless. I dont fell any presence in sound. For example...a doorbell going off in a movie sounds like it coming from the speaker. The same doorbell scene using the Aram sounds like there's someone at my front door. Denons boomy bass is an issue and they have an LFE volume control to turn down the LFE effects for this reason. I believe their preamp mode is a farce. The arcam doesn't have amp shut off yet it plays louder without turning up the volume near full. When you crank the Denon...it sounds worse. When you crank the Arcam...it sounds better. Thats a true test in greatness if you ask me. Both receivers have excellent Hdmi picture quality though their HDMI outs. Arcam is on another Level here.
Yes, the ears are the arbiter. So, why are the subjectivists so reluctant to depend only on their ears, which is the point of controlled (e.g. blind) subjective testing?

Rick “wondering why this point keeps getting challenged by the ears-only adherents” Denney

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, the ears are the arbiter. So, why are the subjectivists so reluctant to depend only on their ears, which is the point of controlled (e.g. blind) subjective testing?
I don't know that they are reluctant to depend only on their ears, I thought they are very willing to do just that!
Rick “wondering why this point keeps getting challenged by the ears-only adherents” Denney
??

rdenney

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't know that they are reluctant to depend only on their ears, I thought they are very willing to do just that!

??
Until you suggest they demonstrate the ability of their ears to make the distinctions they are claiming by removing their eyes from the comparison protocol.

Rick “agreeing that measurements show more precision than we can hear using only our ears” Denney

Top Bottom