• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Master Thread: Are measurements Everything or Nothing?

Plcamp

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Important alert!

After 365 pages, I have decided that YES, measurements are, in fact, everything.

Whew!

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
I wanted to ask, it looks like you have a setup for room equalization. How do you like the Behringer for doing that? I wanted to do the same thing with REW.

The Behringer was a cheap analog to digital converter, replaced now with a Focusrite. It was/is not part of room correction.

Correction is in the digital domain with a miniDSP OpenDRC-DI and, if automated, AcourateDRC to create the filters.

Count Dacula

I'm not sure how much this would contribute to the discussion but a flat eq is not how we hear. In mixing the curve of human frequency sensitivity has a name I just can't remember it.

Right, my EE friend who actually worked at Bell Labs, also owned a nightclub where I had done a semi-amatauer sound install. He had a "tech" come in to "do the DEW" or whatever it was called before DSP. They did it in an echo-y empty room, and my friend was snarky about it with me....claiming that I could not eq it as well as they could.

I bit my tongue and waited until the room was filled with screaming meatsacks, it sounded weak and flat. No highs, no lows...but it was a nice flat EQ earlier in the day! Even the DJs complained. I fixed it up the next day, and it was never mentioned again. In my mind, it wasn't possible to have too much sparkly highs, nor too much organ-liquifying bass. A strict EE tech didn't understand this by being told about it, he had to be shown.

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Right, my EE friend who actually worked at Bell Labs, also owned a nightclub where I had done a semi-amatauer sound install. He had a "tech" come in to "do the DEW" or whatever it was called before DSP. They did it in an echo-y empty room, and my friend was snarky about it with me....claiming that I could not eq it as well as they could.

I bit my tongue and waited until the room was filled with screaming meatsacks, it sounded weak and flat. No highs, no lows...but it was a nice flat EQ earlier in the day! Even the DJs complained. I fixed it up the next day, and it was never mentioned again. In my mind, it wasn't possible to have too much sparkly highs, nor too much organ-liquifying bass. A strict EE tech didn't understand this by being told about it, he had to be shown.
Can you sell the screaming meatsacks as room treatment?

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The Screaming Meatsacks? I think I saw them at the 9:30 club years ago.

/;)

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Rja4000

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Grolsch 330ml bottle. Very low "distortion". Not often used as a musical instrument. Not much character there.

index.php
I love this one !
Thanks !

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Top Bottom