• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Mark Porzilli ‘The Note’ Line Array

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
I am intrigued by these Mark Porzilli’s Line Arrays, I believe he designed the ‘Pipedreams loudspeakers?
Are they good are they bad what are their advantages disadvantages?
Benchmark used them for Axpona so…
Thanks,
Keith

ErVikingo

Its a great concept but I have not heard them. They are priced out of my range.

LearningToSmile

From the stereophile article, something that caught my eye:
Screenshot 2023-04-21 at 17-53-58 Impressive Sound from Benchmark and Laufer Teknik.png

Not that there's anything wrong with SVS but there's something funny to me about selling a pair of fancy $32k bespoke speakers with an included good value bang-for-the-buck subwoofer from a completely unrelated brand. I'm sure it works great but I'd imagine it raises an eyebrow or two among the target audience.

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Benchmark are a no nonsense design/measurement led, they used A DEQX device for crossover/room correction , to use a fit for purpose seems to make sense in the context of the room.
Keith

MKR

Major Contributor
I heard these at AXPONA … meh, not impressed, but nice soundstage, as you would expect. And wasn‘t aware of the cost. Sorry, but $32k for these? That is ridiculous

Grotti

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
What is this ? A lot of cheap 2inch chinese fullrange?
Could be these:

Grotti

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I heard these at AXPONA … meh, not impressed, but nice soundstage, as you would expect. And wasn‘t aware of the cost. Sorry, but $32k for these? That is ridiculous
Yes indeed: the price seems to be ridiculous. Is there anything more to it than screwing 50 drivers on top of each other?

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
What did they sound like?
I am still wondering about a, their advantages in a domestic setting and b, what are the differences between the straight ‘Note’ design and the Don Keele/ @Bjorn curved CBTs?
Keith

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
From the stereophile article, something that caught my eye:
View attachment 280683

Not that there's anything wrong with SVS but there's something funny to me about selling a pair of fancy $32k bespoke speakers with an included good value bang-for-the-buck subwoofer from a completely unrelated brand. I'm sure it works great but I'd imagine it raises an eyebrow or two among the target audience.
It looks like a CBT array Don Keele used to talk about.

notsodeadlizard

Well ... if you are interested in this... It was a long time ago but there is such a wonderful master, for example:

The multi-year project is beautifully documented, there are tons of information and measurements.
Enjoy it.
If there is some sense in the "high end" words, this project is the sense.

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What is this ? A lot of cheap 2inch chinese fullrange?

Based on the specs Aura Whisper is a possibility.

These drivers are actually more advanced than most “hifi” drivers: underhung voicecoil with long throw, novel suspension for the inverted dome, neo-radial motor. They’re not great on the tippy top, and obviously too large to avoid beaming. A killer app for them is car audio, where the top octave is swamped by noise anyway.

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Thanks for posting that Linkwitz link Sarum very informative.
Keith

tomtoo

Major Contributor
How did they handled the typical line array problems?

From my point of view for some nice to look at. But not more.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

MKR

Major Contributor
I am still wondering about a, their advantages in a domestic setting and b, what are the differences between the straight ‘Note’ design and the Don Keele/ @Bjorn curved CBTs?
Keith
Nice soundstage (that typical line array wall of sound) and image, midrange was nice, but lacking detail and dynamics. I actually think the room was just too small, needed some room to breath.

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
MKR you liked the Credo line arrays didn’t you?
Just wondering how different or rather what was different from the ‘Notes’ ( apart from 6x price)
Keith

Bjorn

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Keith
If it's traditional line array the drivers will not sum, which leads destructive inteference. With the CBT technology the drivers do sum up to a certain point in frequency depending on the driver size.

We can see this in some comparison simulations.
Unshaded straight line array at 3m and 18m.jpg

Legendre shaded CBT circular at 3m and 18m.jpg

Unshaded straight line array polar 800 Hz and hKz.jpg

Legendre shadee CBT circular polar 800 Hz and hKz.jpg

Line array vs CBT.png

It's also worth mentioning that a very narrow cabinet will have a very high baffle step. This leads to more energy going around the cabinet and sensitivity on-axis is thus lowered.

Top Bottom