• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Maple Wood: Improves Your Sound

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
"Get Better Sound From Your System Without Replacing Electronics

MaplePlatform-DEPT-5.jpg
Our Amish-crafted, solid maple platforms are an integral part of the Mapleshade Vibration Control System that has transformed the sound of thousands of audiophile systems over the years. Here's a link to a detailed description of Mapleshade's Vibration Control System.

Mounting your audio gear on a really good platform transforms the sound. Our painstaking R&D tests proved that maple platforms sound warmer, clearer, punchier and more detailed than granite, slate or glass (all are edgy and bass-killing), hi-tech damped composites (very dead sounding), and myrtle or exotic hardwoods (more colored and less detailed). Thats confirmed unequivocably by more than a decade of head-to-head shootoffs by skeptical customers. Using brass footers to drain vibration out of your gear into the maple doubles the good effect"

Taken from: http://shop.mapleshadestore.com/Maple-Platforms/departments/46/

I have to admit, I had no idea I was missing all this.

Can I just buy a maple cutting board from Amazon?

Or is the key part that it's made by Amish?

And I won't need to upgrade the ratty Scott preamp shown?

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Their platform is face glued maple. Good cutting boards have end grain exposed because it is tougher.

FTVF0SUIBGCSJ0J.MEDIUM.jpg

No idea which is better in this application.

I have read a lot of people who believe in this stuff buying generic cutting boards for the same use.

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
I started by buying bamboo chopping blocks ( butchers blocks) then got a kitchen work top company to make me what I wanted .

That was when my madness was mainly focused on audio..

Iv even got African hardwood resonators and beach tree ( maybe birch can't remember) cable lifters :D

Can't beat a good hardwood ...

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
For better or worse, Maple always gives you that syrupy smooth sound. ;)

Phelonious Ponk

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Are they trying to isolate from or generate vibrations? Because if isolation is the purpose (and it should be), plywood, or composite would be better. Maple is resonant. Is it desirable to have your tubes vibrating at the resonant frequency of what you sit them on? I wouldn't think so. Of course, given the mass of that maple block, it probably has no resonance to speak of, so it's a moot point. And that's the bottom line; pointless, at any price.

OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Are they trying to isolate from or generate vibrations? Because if isolation is the purpose (and it should be), plywood, or composite would be better. Maple is resonant. Is it desirable to have your tubes vibrating at the resonant frequency of what you sit them on? I wouldn't think so. Of course, given the mass of that maple block, it probably has no resonance to speak of, so it's a moot point. And that's the bottom line; pointless, at any price.

Right, maple is highly resonant, as are most natural solid woods. Which is why they're great for instruments, bad for speaker enclosures.

Kitty litter, on the other hand, is great.

DiN

Old post, but I came across this company, Mapleshade, this week in 2023. Their Samson equipment rack systems cost (in 2023) $1.1k-$6.1k+ with various options & shelving size/quantity, they also sell individual pieces. This is deeper than most audiophiles choose to go in the physics of sound. There does exist perfect platforms to set various playback equipment upon to reproduce the original sound waves as recorded from the source--or just to optimize the sound to your own ears as the end-user. Sound is made from the vibrations of molecules in the air, liquid or solid in which sound waves propagate through. In outer space--no sound, because there are no molecules close enough for sound waves to propagate through. The most complex wave patterns are produced in solids, and the less-homogeneous the solid the more complex those sound waves become with internal refractions, reflections, and/or attenuations.

Mapleshade's testing has lead them to believe the Ambrosian Maple they use, naturally-grown, close-grain, air-dried 3-6 years (not kiln-dried), and solid-only (no glues like butcherblocks use), is that ideal material. But the Maple wood is just 1 part of their system--they also use the threaded Steel posts with Brass connectors & footers to stabilize the entire system directly to the floor. Their primary selling point (besides the beauty of their systems) is the system doesn't sway at all, side-to-side or front-to-back.
They also say:
1.) The 3/4" shelving of most racks aren't thick enough,
2.) That you can hear a difference between the 3/4", 2" & 4" thick shelves.
3.) That 4" shelving is better than 2", but 2" shelving with a 4" platform is better than 4" shelving alone.
4.) Don't use IsoBlocks under speakers (that would allow movement of the speaker, especially muddying bass.)

Their sales pitch sounds legit. I don't have the time to test all the woods, mounts, footings, so I'll just take their research as correct, until I find data proving otherwise. I also don't have the funds to buy their top-end SAMSON system, mainly because my own stereo probably cost less then that shelving system to sit upon. But I do like their ideas (& how the finished product looks), so I was going to attempt to build my own shelving using their ideas. However, in 2023, even using maple wood might be too expensive for my own build, so I might have to use Douglas Fir (4"x12") or Southern Yellow Pine (2"x12"), but even those 12"depths are too short with some 17"-deep pieces like amps, or 16"-deep CD changer. but I'll use their solid-threaded 1-1/4" steel rod post design, & buy my own connectors/footers in brass if it fits my budget, or another metal. I'm in the research stage to determine what materials I can afford/should use.

So far my project design based on Mapleshade's original Samson design:
1.) Solid wood shelves (either Maple, Cherry, Douglas Fir, SYP, Oak, or Mahogany).
1a.) 12-18" deep (I need 10.5" at least in depth for the distance between the front & back feet of the amp.)
1b.) If I can't find solid shelves of desired depth, I can join two to three individual narrower shelves into a single one, using a non-glued method, perhaps bolts/key-holes (which will of course affect the sound vs a single solid piece of wood, but hopefully not as much as glue would dampen sound).
2.) Threaded steel solid posts
3.) Metal connectors (perhaps Brass) to attach shelves to post.
4.) Metal footers (perhaps Brass)

5.) The key seems to be passing the vibrations from the equipment to the ground as solidly & directly as possible. Obviously it's better to totally isolate pieces with continually moving electric or physical components, such as PCs(fans), CD/LP-players, or high-power amps.

5a.) Primary shelving unit: DACs, streamers, pre-amp, EQ, USB-cleaners (few if any actively moving internal parts).

5b.) Secondary(+) shelves: CDs, LPs, Tapes, these units can sit together on the same shelving units since typically not used at the same time (although ideally players vs recorders should likely be on separate shelving units.)

5c.) Amps: separate platform set directly on floor (as long as flooding, pets, children aren't issue.)

5d.) PCs: any computer-type device with moving fans shouldn't sit on any of the above shelving units, PCs should be treated like AMPs, on a separate platform, far enough from the primary shelving unit to not cause interference, far enough from listener to not cause audible noise interference(fans), but close enough to the primary shelving unit to allow use of the optimal 2m(6.5') USB cable when required (longer will degrade signal.)

I also like their "ROOTED BUTTRESS" speaker stand design, so I'll try to make those for myself as well.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
5.) The key seems to be passing the vibrations from the equipment to the ground as solidly & directly as possible. Obviously it's better to totally isolate pieces with continually moving electric or physical components, such as PCs(fans), CD/LP-players, or high-power amps.
The real key is to avoid using gear that is highly susceptible to vibrations both physical and airborne, very old technology gear such as tube gear and turntables are the worst culprits.

DiN

It does??
Yes, if Mapleshade actually did test all the various woods for shelves & metals for posts/connectors/footers as they say they did, and without other data to refute their claims, I'm taking their claims at face value as being honest, based on other research I've done online to date. Now, if I was going to give them $1.1k-$6k+ for an audio rack, then I'd do some actual real-world listening/testing first with their system vs similar system vs basic shelves.

However, since:
1.) I'm just building a rack somewhat based on their designs for myself, &
2.) My room(s) acoustics are far from ideal, &
3.) My system is portable(needs to be rollable) between 2-rooms (I'd design it to move off the rollers to footer-points when in place), this is between my bedroom & living room (living room is 3x larger than my bedroom). It's just a 2-channel audio music-only setup, 7-components, not used for movies.

Considering those 3 factors, most of my personal wood/metal choices for my build will be based more on budget & availability. I won't worry about whether Maple would sound 1.3% better, when I likely wouldn't be able to hear that difference given my poor room acoustics, let alone between 2-different rooms.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Their Samson equipment rack systems cost (in 2023) $1.1k-$6.1k+ with various options & shelving size/quantity, they also sell individual pieces. This is deeper than most audiophiles choose to go in the physics of sound.

Do they show any test results to demonstrate improvement? Seems more like effective marketing than advanced physics.

They also say:
3.) That 4" shelving is better than 2", but 2" shelving with a 4" platform is better than 4" shelving alone.
4.) Don't use IsoBlocks under speakers (that would allow movement of the speaker, especially muddying bass.)

People say a lot of things. I'm more interested in the evidence behind those claims. I'll start holding my breath now.

notsodeadlizard

But this is beautiful audio furniture only, and nothing more.
This doesn't come cheap.
Although... For a 4" thick large natural wood stand, the price doesn't seem that scary.
The good one 1.5" maple butcher block (cutting board) very suitable for the same task will cost about $100. Plus some legs (damped or not).
They have quite normal prices.
And, yes, when the equipment is beautiful and stands on beautiful furniture, it is perceived better than when it is dusty and stands on "anything".
This is the focus of "improving the sound" (however, a massive damped stand will not hurt the turntable).

OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Yes, if Mapleshade actually did test all the various woods for shelves & metals for posts/connectors/footers as they say they did, and without other data to refute their claims, I'm taking their claims at face value as being honest, based on other research I've done online to date. Now, if I was going to give them $1.1k-$6k+ for an audio rack, then I'd do some actual real-world listening/testing first with their system vs similar system vs basic shelves.

However, since:
1.) I'm just building a rack somewhat based on their designs for myself, &
2.) My room(s) acoustics are far from ideal, &
3.) My system is portable(needs to be rollable) between 2-rooms (I'd design it to move off the rollers to footer-points when in place), this is between my bedroom & living room (living room is 3x larger than my bedroom). It's just a 2-channel audio music-only setup, 7-components, not used for movies.

Considering those 3 factors, most of my personal wood/metal choices for my build will be based more on budget & availability. I won't worry about whether Maple would sound 1.3% better, when I likely wouldn't be able to hear that difference given my poor room acoustics, let alone between 2-different rooms.

I have organically grown, native seaside vine and big leaf maple that is decades old.

I'd be willing to have things fabricated to sell to ASR members at a 30% discount to those prices.

;)

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
Yes, if Mapleshade actually did test all the various woods for shelves & metals for posts/connectors/footers as they say they did, and without other data to refute their claims, I'm taking their claims at face value as being honest, based on other research I've done online to date.

Am I wrong in assuming that research consists of countless marketing blurbs from manufacturers, presenting their "evidence" in the form of sighted listening tests with zero controls to minimize cognitive bias?

Galliardist

Major Contributor
Old post, but I came across this company, Mapleshade, this week in 2023. Their Samson equipment rack systems cost (in 2023) $1.1k-$6.1k+ with various options & shelving size/quantity, they also sell individual pieces. This is deeper than most audiophiles choose to go in the physics of sound. There does exist perfect platforms to set various playback equipment upon to reproduce the original sound waves as recorded from the source--or just to optimize the sound to your own ears as the end-user. Sound is made from the vibrations of molecules in the air, liquid or solid in which sound waves propagate through. In outer space--no sound, because there are no molecules close enough for sound waves to propagate through. The most complex wave patterns are produced in solids, and the less-homogeneous the solid the more complex those sound waves become with internal refractions, reflections, and/or attenuations.

Mapleshade's testing has lead them to believe the Ambrosian Maple they use, naturally-grown, close-grain, air-dried 3-6 years (not kiln-dried), and solid-only (no glues like butcherblocks use), is that ideal material. But the Maple wood is just 1 part of their system--they also use the threaded Steel posts with Brass connectors & footers to stabilize the entire system directly to the floor. Their primary selling point (besides the beauty of their systems) is the system doesn't sway at all, side-to-side or front-to-back.
They also say:

Their sales pitch sounds legit. I don't have the time to test all the woods, mounts, footings, so I'll just take their research as correct, until I find data proving otherwise. I also don't have the funds to buy their top-end SAMSON system, mainly because my own stereo probably cost less then that shelving system to sit upon. But I do like their ideas (& how the finished product looks), so I was going to attempt to build my own shelving using their ideas. However, in 2023, even using maple wood might be too expensive for my own build, so I might have to use Douglas Fir (4"x12") or Southern Yellow Pine (2"x12"), but even those 12"depths are too short with some 17"-deep pieces like amps, or 16"-deep CD changer. but I'll use their solid-threaded 1-1/4" steel rod post design, & buy my own connectors/footers in brass if it fits my budget, or another metal. I'm in the research stage to determine what materials I can afford/should use.

So far my project design based on Mapleshade's original Samson design:
1.) Solid wood shelves (either Maple, Cherry, Douglas Fir, SYP, Oak, or Mahogany).
1a.) 12-18" deep (I need 10.5" at least in depth for the distance between the front & back feet of the amp.)
1b.) If I can't find solid shelves of desired depth, I can join two to three individual narrower shelves into a single one, using a non-glued method, perhaps bolts/key-holes (which will of course affect the sound vs a single solid piece of wood, but hopefully not as much as glue would dampen sound).
2.) Threaded steel solid posts
3.) Metal connectors (perhaps Brass) to attach shelves to post.
4.) Metal footers (perhaps Brass)

5a.) Primary shelving unit: DACs, streamers, pre-amp, EQ, USB-cleaners (few if any actively moving internal parts).

5b.) Secondary(+) shelves: CDs, LPs, Tapes, these units can sit together on the same shelving units since typically not used at the same time (although ideally players vs recorders should likely be on separate shelving units.)

5c.) Amps: separate platform set directly on floor (as long as flooding, pets, children aren't issue.)

5d.) PCs: any computer-type device with moving fans shouldn't sit on any of the above shelving units, PCs should be treated like AMPs, on a separate platform, far enough from the primary shelving unit to not cause interference, far enough from listener to not cause audible noise interference(fans), but close enough to the primary shelving unit to allow use of the optimal 2m(6.5') USB cable when required (longer will degrade signal.)

I also like their "ROOTED BUTTRESS" speaker stand design, so I'll try to make those for myself as well.
Where can we see their published test results?

Where have they described their methods?

Do we have graphs or statistical results demonstrating the superiority of their wares?

Where are the randomised double blind test results?

Or did they just plonk an amp on a few planks and blocks and “use their ears” as usual?

Every single one of the materials they reject is used for supports by other companies making exactly the same claims for their products in what actually appears to be an evidence-free space for the most part.

I can quite believe that some components interact with their supports, especially turntables and I have a couple of anecdotes in that area myself.

But… if they want to make those claims they really should back them up thoroughly.

Galliardist

Major Contributor
Am I wrong in assuming that research consists of countless marketing blurbs from manufacturers, presenting their "evidence" in the form of sighted listening tests with zero controls to minimize cognitive bias?
Only when they seem to have bothered to do that much.

If you’re considering entering the market, I’d recommend researching something much more important than your product, and that’s how to market it.

Top Bottom