• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Mac Mini replacement

boneman

Hi all! New to the forum and first post. Been considering a NAIM core to replace my Mac Mini as it is now the weak link in my digital setup. Looking for something to replicate the mini to just do music with the best quality out to my DAC as possible. Presently going to the digital in on my CD player. Love the sound of the CD player and it does have a good DAC inside so thought I would stick with it. Saw the core the other day but don't know anyone that has used one. Seems like it would fit the bill and allow for future expansion into other streaming avenues if I wanted to go there. Any experiences? Suggestions in other directions? Thanks in advance for any insights.

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
why is it the weak link?? lack of storage?

Daverz

Major Contributor
If it's an Intel-based Mac Mini, it should still be quite capable.

GDK

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I use a 2009 Mac Mini as a Roon server and have not had any reason to update it as yet *touch wood*.

OP
boneman

boneman

why is it the weak link?? lack of storage?
It's a 2012 Mini. Storage is OK as I've installed the data doubler. The USB out is noisy and of course the internal power supply even worse. I could continue on with mods but from my research a moderately priced streamer would best it pretty handily. We thinking of a Digione as well but then I have to get into the whole NAS thing hence the Naim. Seems like it ticks all the boxes: quality power supply, clean spdif out and I can change the disk inside easily as requirements change. In addition if I want higher res than 24/192 in the future it becomes a very quiet NAS.

paulraphael

If noise over USB is making an audible impact, then the weak link is probably your DAC. Any decent DAC should make that stuff irrelevant. Or are you using the built-in audio circuitry?

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
you are hearing noise?

OP
boneman

boneman

If noise over USB is making an audible impact, then the weak link is probably your DAC. Any decent DAC should make that stuff irrelevant. Or are you using the built-in audio circuitry?
I'm not specifically hearing noise. When I say noise I'm talking jitter, RFI etc. I can just tell when a CD is in the player it sounds better than when I'm playing the same track via the Mini/iTunes into the same DAC in the CD player. I'd like the sound from the Mini to be as good as the CD at the very least.

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'd do a blind test to be sure - it's a LOT cheaper than anything else...

Daverz

Major Contributor
I'm not specifically hearing noise. When I say noise I'm talking jitter, RFI etc. I can just tell when a CD is in the player it sounds better than when I'm playing the same track via the Mini/iTunes into the same DAC in the CD player. I'd like the sound from the Mini to be as good as the CD at the very least.

I would suggest searching for some of Amir's post on the topic of USB noise and jitter. Archimago also has some good posts on this topic. The TL;DR summary is that this is a non-issue.

paulraphael

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
the mac mini has a pretty good DAC built-in; OP could just use that to test with

Top Bottom