• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

M1s balanced headphones

Jaysz

I have a shanling m1s dap.
And am looking for a set of headphones that can be balanced as the dap outputs more power balanced.
Not much clear info about on what headphones can be used.
Looking at the hd560s

oleg87

Any headphone with a removable cable and 2-pin connectors on each cup or a 4-pin connector on one cup can be wired with a balanced connector, including the HD560s. Not sure why you'd bother though - hard to imagine the difference between being able to reach a painful ~117dB SPL or an even more painful ~123dB SPL would be meaningful.

OP
J

Jaysz

From reviews I have seen even with the double output of balanced a lot of daps can’t run all full size headphones so would unbalanced be the same output.
The 560s doesn’t have input on each cup or a 4 pin connecter.

So do I need to find dual input and change the connector or find 4 pin input on cups and change the jack.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
The HD560S itself has a 4 pin connector and is wired in such a way that it can be used balanced but you need an aftermarket cable for that as Sennheiser does not supply one.

Balanced will give you (up to) 6dB more output power.

When you have sensitive ear/headphones you do not need balanced out. Balanced out could be handy when using less sensitive headphones and you want to play them loud.

OP
J

Jaysz

Ok
Going to try unbalanced first and if I need a balance lead is this ok.

Shows less poles can end
Also was looking at the hifiman HE400Se but looks like they need more power to use.

Attachments

• IMG_1864.jpeg
    IMG_1864.jpeg
    85.3 KB · Views: 22

solderdude

Grand Contributor
if I need a balance lead is this ok.
Its probably this one in which case it will work fine:

It will allow you to increase the max loudness by 6dB.
You will not need it if you can already make it sound loud enough now without making the sound turn 'nasty' at max. volume setting.

Last edited:
Top Bottom