• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Loxjie P20 Subjective Review

Martin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
201811281143377121.jpg

I purchased a red Loxjie P20 because I like the way it looks and could not pass up the opportunity to buy a balanced tube headphone amplifier for $100. (My wife says it’s cute.) I bought it from Hi-Fi Express and it took a full month to arrive. They never provided a tracking number and did not respond to the three emails I sent them. I will not do business with them again; I recommend buying from any seller on AliExpress.

I read before my purchase that the 1.67A 12V SMPS was under powered and got very hot in use so I bought a $12 5A 12V SMPS on Amazon. I also read the included Chinese 6N3 tubes sucked so I bought a pair of NOS $8 JAN G.E. 2C51 tubes on eBay. I spent $127.96 all in.

I am driving it via balanced XLR from my Topping DX7 Pro DAC. The amplifier sounds surprisingly good through the balanced output on both my Focal Clear and Audeze LCD-3 headphones. It has plenty of power to drive both to deafening levels. I cannot hear any obvious distortion or harmonics. I think it’s a keeper.

I may send it to Amir to test after he finishes with the red DAART Yulong Aquila II I have being sent to him now.

Martin

Last edited:

bunkbail

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
OP
Martin

Martin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

pirxel

Got mine here (used) too, also upgraded tubes to some russian ones that are plenty here in the EU and a ifi ipower 12v power supply. It is my daily driver and I really like it. The balanced output sounds much more "alive" than the single ended in my smsl m500.

[EDIT] Btw, I used them mostly with my audioquest nightowls, sharing the room with my wife, but I pop the sennheiser hd6XX when I can and feel like it.

Last edited:

Veri

Master Contributor
I'm surprised you like it with the sensitive Focals. Output impedance is approximately 50ohm SE 100ohm balanced so using it balanced with the Clear could cause some serious mid bass hump. Which can make them sound, well, less clear.

westyjeff

I used the P20 with my Elex, sounded sublime, I was pleasantly surprised.

Helicopter

Major Contributor
Mine sounds great with Sylvania JAN tubes and Focal Clears.

But I usually use my Schiit Magnius.

Moderate Dionysianism

Anyone knows the input impedance of this thing? I've got one arriving in a couple of days, and was planning to pair it with an SMSL SU-9. Per the DAC measurement, I need at least 3.7k Ohm for the XLR, but I can't find this piece of data for the P20. Wanted to be sure before pulling the trigger on the DAC.

OP
Martin

Martin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
After owning this headphone amp for several months I wanted to follow up on my subjective review...

I find myself consciously choosing to listen to my Topping DX7 Pro over the Loxjie P20. I cannot put my finger on the problem. There is simply something intangible about the Loxjie that I do not like. It is like it physically drains me to listen to it for extended periods that does not happen with the DX7 Pro. Just my 2¢ - YMMV - etc.

Martin

trl

Major Contributor
King of Mods
That post is almost 2 years old. I wonder if he lost it? It is pretty small. :p I’ll remind him about it as I remind him to complete the testing of the Aquila II within my 30 day return window. :cool:
Hi @amirm, it would be nice to see how tubes inside P20 sounds and measures now, just before Christmas, so people might choose a new headamp. Thank you!

trl

Major Contributor
King of Mods

magicscreen

I'm surprised you like it with the sensitive Focals. Output impedance is approximately 50ohm SE 100ohm balanced so using it balanced with the Clear could cause some serious mid bass hump. Which can make them sound, well, less clear.
Less clear, it is true. But who cares when it has magic sound?

"SMPS was under powered and got very hot "

This is not true. My SMSP is only a little warmish.

"It is like it physically drains me to listen to it for extended periods "

Yes, I know this problem with the Loxjie P20. LOL

raif71

Major Contributor
Just bought a used p20 few weeks back just to try a tube amp though it is a hybrid unit. Connected to Audio-gd r2r-r11 dac in fixed volume (dac mode) using rca to xlr cable. I tried the r11 in variable volume but at the max scale of the volume, I detected distortion in the music but dac mode is already good enough. Personally I like the P20 as is delivers quite a punch ie enough power for me but honestly if I were to AB this with another amp, it would be hard for me to tell the difference. I'm mulling to change the tube to a GE and perhaps the power supply but I guess I'll wait until one or both of them goes kaput :)

Last edited:

shaney777

This one is on sale Black Friday for $99. No Amir review still?! :cool:

shaney777

Top Bottom