• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Loxjie D30 Review (DAC & Headphone Amp)

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
This is a serious question: why do you prefer inbuilt PSU on a small unit? A heavy cable that is used with an IEC connector is pretty inconvenient on tge desktop as it’s stiff. Whereas a wall-wart PSU feeding out a light cable ended on a small & light plug is much more convenient on the desktop and clearer desktop.

Helicopter

Major Contributor
This is a serious question: why do you prefer inbuilt PSU on a small unit? A heavy cable that is used with an IEC connector is pretty inconvenient on a desktop. Whereas a wall-wart PSU feeding out a light cable ended on a small & light plug is much more convenient on the desktop and clearer desktop.
I prefer it because it reduces clutter either behind the desk or at the power strip. Also, easy to store the device as the only external parts are standard cords... the power supply can't get lost without the rest of the thing. Oh, and the cord will be more durable most of the time.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I prefer it because it reduces clutter either behind the desk or at the power strip. Also, easy to store the device as the only external parts are standard cords... the power supply can't get lost without the rest of the thing. Oh, and the cord will be more durable most of the time.
A wall-wart wouldn’t cause clutter but I understand the issue with storage.

However, in my experience IEC plugs gets disconnected easily when used on a small box where the cable can pull the plug away.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
A wall-wart wouldn’t cause clutter but I understand the issue with storage.
There is another benefit in that external power supplies are on all the time. The internal ones with AC mains disconnect, shut completely off. I always feel guilty leaving those supplies plugged in when I am not using the connected device.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
This is a serious question: why do you prefer inbuilt PSU on a small unit? A heavy cable that is used with an IEC connector is pretty inconvenient on tge desktop as it’s stiff. Whereas a wall-wart PSU feeding out a light cable ended on a small & light plug is much more convenient on the desktop and clearer desktop.
Who was the wise fellow who quipped "1 picture=1k words"?
[NOTE: No photoshoping was attempted]

202110_WallWartz.jpg

We should not even discuss Switching versus Linears…

WallWartZ tally behind DeskTopPC >> 27" Monitors(2x) +*Router + *PoEswitch + *PreAmp + *NAS + *VoIP + *Cordless Phone + SiriusXM

Last edited:

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Who was the wise fellow who quipped "1 picture=1k words"?
[NOTE: No photoshoping was attempted]

View attachment 159715
We should not even discuss Switching versus Linears…

WallWartZ tally behind DeskTopPC >> 27" Monitors(2x) +*Router + *PoEswitch + *PreAmp + *NAS + *VoIP + *Cordless Phone + SiriusXM
I was specifically talking about wall-warts which are PSU integrated into the plug, not inline PSU, which feeds a monitor or laptop. As it is clear from the picture a wall-wart doesn’t take any more space than a mains plug.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I was specifically talking about wall-warts which are PSU integrated into the plug, not inline PSU, which feeds a monitor or laptop. As it is clear from the picture a wall-wart doesn’t take any more space than a mains plug.
A la cart delivery, updated per correction:
Then, you also have to account for the excess cordage left over, and then you got a rat's nest like mine. Cables: Argh!
Linears are cool and I use custom open cage PS for Vdc (19V, 12V, 5Vdc) needs in the main audio room. which get routed thru some serious EMI filtering.

Last edited:

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
A la cart delivery, updated per correction:
Then, you also have to account for the excess cordage left over, and then you got a rat's nest like mine. Cables: Argh!
The amount or even length of the cable will not change with integrated PSU, they will simply be thicker and hence be even more difficult to manage/tidy.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
... I always feel guilty leaving those supplies plugged in when I am not using the connected device.
I think EU has been in discussions for this exact problem but more emphasis on the amount of smartphone wall-wartz, which are also waste-disposal and environmental nightmares.
202110_WallWartzStash.jpg

Here is my stash of excess wall-wartz and the hoarders among us all got such a stash ("1 picture=1k words"?)...

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Here is my stash of excess wall-wartz and the hoarders among us all got such a stash ("1 picture=1k words"?)...
I have probably 100 external supplies. I keep them around as often I run into a box whose power supply I can't find. But yes, it is a big problem with so much waste.

The onerous regulatory certifications is one of the key reasons for external power supplies. With mains operated gear you have to jump through expense hoops to get safety certifications. Use an external supply and you avoid that. Regulators should look at this area to reduce the source of the problem.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
There is another benefit in that external power supplies are on all the time. The internal ones with AC mains disconnect, shut completely off. I always feel guilty leaving those supplies plugged in when I am not using the connected device.
Technology exists to completely shut-off the power consumption of a wall-wart when using switch-mode PSU. See this very detailed report which analysis the issue in great detail. I copied the main chart below from page 5 (PDF page 11). You can see that a sizable number of models consume no power when in stand-by. You can have a wall-wart that completely shuts off.
2n4Xl.png

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Greenies probably want me (audiophiles?) doxx'd because I try to avoid pwm/ClassD but soon I may be forced to erect my own wind-turbine with a solar panel on top.

josiah

Would this be enough to power HifiMan Sundara's without any issues? I currently have a D50s/Atom combination, and if this wouldn't have any noticeable sound difference, I would like to make the switch. More worried about using the amp than anything. I would really like to go down to one unit.

Clancy1994

@amirm Would you recommend this updated model of the D30 or the Topping DX3 Pro +? Looking for a budget DAC and AMP combo to drive a pair of HD800S?​

josiah

@amirm Would you recommend this updated model of the D30 or the Topping DX3 Pro +? Looking for a budget DAC and AMP combo to drive a pair of HD800S?​

I don't know about the HD800s; however, the AMP didn't seem powerful enough to open my Sundara's. I have returned mine and am ordering the Topping DX3 Pro+. I want a combo unit to get rid of my current GSX1000, D50s, and Atom combo. So I do have something nice to compare it to. The DAC with the Atom was good, but as a solo unit it was missing...

Clancy1994

I don't know about the HD800s; however, the AMP didn't seem powerful enough to open my Sundara's. I have returned mine and am ordering the Topping DX3 Pro+. I want a combo unit to get rid of my current GSX1000, D50s, and Atom combo. So I do have something nice to compare it to. The DAC with the Atom was good, but as a solo unit it was missing...
That's disappointing, I shall go with DX3 Pro+, always strange that the higher cost item isn't always the better! What is the OHM of the Sundara?

DACslut

Unfortunate that S.M.S.L didn't incorporate a headphone amp and this much superior DAC section in their otherwise excellent AO200. Have no use for MQA support or the added licensing costs associated with it, however.

anphex

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Wow, in terms of value/price this little guys is definetly way up there. If I hadn't settled for another DAC already, this one would probably be it. Though I kinda miss symmetrical connections.

Top Bottom