• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Loxjie D30 Review (DAC & Headphone Amp)

Got the same problem.
I was hoping that someone could clarify this doubt for me, because in the video that I leave below that doesn't happen. I think my Loxjie D30 may have some kind of problem, and if that is the case, I wanted to send it back for warranty purpose.

escape2

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Hello.

I Recently bought a Loxjie D30, and I have a little issue with it.
I use the Loxjie on the PC with MusicBee.
My playlist has about half of the songs sampled at 44.1KHz and half at 48KHz.
Regardless of the format, FLAC or MP3, whenever music is playing, if the next track has a different sample rate, I go about 2 seconds without hearing the beginning of the track.

Ex: I'm listening to a track with a sample rate of 44.1KHz and I switch to a song with 48KHz, I don't hear about 2 two seconds of the beginning of the track at 48KHz,
the same happens if I switch back to a 44.1KHz track...

If I test different sample rates in the Windows audio properties, the same thing happens.
I tried it on foobar2000 and the same thing happens.

I had a Topping D10 for more than a year and that never happened, it switched to different sample rates and the songs played continuously.

Can anyone please tell me if this is normal on the Loxjie D30?
Are you saying it's cutting off the first two seconds of the track or it's just pausing for 2 seconds between tracks?

Mine seems to be pausing for about a second between tracks with different sample rates, and there is a slightly audible "pop" sound, but it does not cut off the beginning of the track.

I'm using Foobar2000 with Output set to WASAPI (event).

Are you saying it's cutting off the first two seconds of the track or it's just pausing for 2 seconds between tracks?

Mine seems to be pausing for about a second between tracks with different sample rates, and there is a slightly audible "pop" sound, but it does not cut off the beginning of the track.

I'm using Foobar2000 with Output set to WASAPI (event).
In my case is cutting the first two seconds, not pausing, the track is playing, but I can't hear the first two seconds.
I´m using WASAPI too.

escape2

Strange.

Here is my driver and device info, if that helps.

My windows 11 output format is set to 44100 Hz, 32-bit.

1654793156199.png

1654793172845.png

Propheticus

I was hoping that someone could clarify this doubt for me, because in the video that I leave below that doesn't happen. I think my Loxjie D30 may have some kind of problem, and if that is the case, I wanted to send it back for warranty purpose.

Are you running the latest version of Foobar2000? There was a patch at some point fixing some first second(s) silence issue.
Also, when using WASAPI out, you no longer need a separate component. It's now a default feature.

Strange.

Here is my driver and device info, if that helps.

My windows 11 output format is set to 44100 Hz, 32-bit.

View attachment 211797

View attachment 211798

My Windows 10 output format is the default, set to 24 Bits 48000 Hz.

Loxjie D30.jpg

You are using the driver from Loxjie download page right? It was the first one I tried, then I found a more recent one on the S.M.S.L page, but with both drivers my problem persists.
My Loxjie have a different revision, maybe a different firmware version? But on Loxjie's page there is no firmware for download...

Are you running the latest version of Foobar2000? There was a patch at some point fixing some first second(s) silence issue.
Also, when using WASAPI out, you no longer need a separate component. It's now a default feature.
I´m using the last version of MusicBee, just tried Foobar2000 to see if the same problem happened and it did.
I will download the latest version of Foobar2000 and try again to see if there's any difference. Thanks.

Propheticus

But on Loxjie's page there is no firmware for download
That's because the A30 doesn't need a (USB) driver.

From the product description:
32bits 384KHz USB audio with driverless technology.
But you're using optical I see. For optical you don't need a driver anyway. It's a standard SPDIF signal.

The switching issue could just as well be at the optical sending (onboard) soundcard side.
I suggest trying USB to see if the issue happens then as well to confirm it's the A30's doing.

Can't really comment further on the A30, you'd be better of in a topic about that device. All I can say is my D30 only clicks softly on switching rates and does not skip the first seconds.
I can make a random guess it might be related to the amp section doing an off / soft on to prevent loud speaker pops. So the player is running, the DAC receives it, but the AMP is taking a second to come back on.

But you're using optical I see. For optical you don't need a driver anyway. It's a standard SPDIF signal.
Maybe I haven't mentioned it yet, sorry, but I'm using my Loxjie D30 via USB.

I can make a random guess it might be related to the amp section doing an off / soft on to prevent loud speaker pops. So the player is running, the DAC receives it, but the AMP is taking a second to come back on.
As I mentioned in a post earlier, I had a Topping D10 for more than a year and that never happened, it switched to different sample rates and the songs played continuously.
Both were connected to the same receiver through RCA.

Propheticus

Maybe I haven't mentioned it yet, sorry, but I'm using my Loxjie D30 via USB.

As I mentioned in a post earlier, I had a Topping D10 for more than a year and that never happened, it switched to different sample rates and the songs played continuously.
Both were connected to the same receiver through RCA.
Sorry, I thought the video you posted of the A30 was yours. Hence the remarks related to details from that video like optical and Foobar. Now I get the video isn't yours...the search continues.

There are indeed different revisions of the D30.
Let's hope for you and other owners this isn't an inherent behaviour of the v2 of the D30 (ESS dac chip, blue/colour display). This could explain why some others like me don't have it. I own a v1 (AKM dac chip, monochrome display).

escape2

My Loxjie have a different revision, maybe a different firmware version? But on Loxjie's page there is no firmware for download...
It's likely a different hardware version. Mine is the original V1 (AKM chip), monochrome display. I'm guessing yours is the newer ESS-based version with color display?

It's likely a different hardware version. Mine is the original V1 (AKM chip), monochrome display. I'm guessing yours is the newer ESS-based version with color display?
Yes, mine is the V2 with the ES9068AS, and has a color display.
Didn't know that there were changes in the hardware on the different revisions...

escape2

Didn't know that there were changes in the hardware on the different revisions...
FWIW, here is the review thread for the original (V1):

And here is an old Loxjie page with the specs of the original D30:

Nevermind_ekb

if the next track has a different sample rate, I go about 2 seconds without hearing the beginning of the track
I have a similar problem. Own Loxjie D30 v.2.

There are no problems when playing PCM, even when changing the frequency of tracks. But when playing DSD / SACD, the first track is always "lost" for 2-3 seconds, the rest are not, but only when playing sequentially. In MQA files, the first few seconds always disappear, although playback is on.

I turned to the DAC developer with this problem and received an answer: the loss of the first seconds is not a bug. This is how the device software works. This is done in order to avoid clicking when changing formats or frequencies. Alas, they will not change this algorithm in any firmware.

PS. I also asked the manufacturer to tell me more about which components are used in the device and which transformer is installed. I also asked to send a photo of the insides of the DAC. To which I received an answer: the scheme and the changed components are a trade secret and are not subject to disclosure. They refused to send the photo.

PS-2. Which DAC can you recommend to replace the D30? Such that it is not inferior in sound, and at the same time has no problems with "dropouts" in the DSD and MQA.

PS-3. I apologize for my English.

ohnonotagain

If you want to know what’s inside you can always open it up and take a look, they can’t stop you. :)

Nevermind_ekb

If you want to know what’s inside you can always open it up and take a look, they can’t stop you. :)
Yes, but I prefer not to get into factory devices, especially the product is under warranty. On the other hand, such secrecy on the part of the manufacturer is a little alarming.

Top Bottom