• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Low-frequency Hum in my house.

MrPeabody

Addicted to Fun and Learning
If there is low-frequency fluctuation in water pressure, plumbing will respond if there is air trapped anywhere within. If you tried everything else you can think of and can't pin it down, it might be worthwhile to shut off the water outside the house. Similarly with natural gas, if you have natural gas, which isn't liquified but is highly compressed and fluctuation in the gas pressure can cause those pipes to vibrate. Also shut off the hot water heater and leave it off for a day to allow it to reach room temperature, to see whether this does anything.

Whatever it is I hope you find it.

OP
C

CBM

If there is low-frequency fluctuation in water pressure, plumbing will respond if there is air trapped anywhere within. If you tried everything else you can think of and can't pin it down, it might be worthwhile to shut off the water outside the house. Similarly with natural gas, if you have natural gas, which isn't liquified but is highly compressed and fluctuation in the gas pressure can cause those pipes to vibrate. Also shut off the hot water heater and leave it off for a day to allow it to reach room temperature, to see whether this does anything.

Whatever it is I hope you find it.
Thank you. I turned off the breaker and the noise was still there. We could hear it and my RTA app on my phone showed the same 45 & 80 Hz peaks. I tried to get video sound but there was just a hiss. Next is the water.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Where do you live?

Wombat

Master Contributor
Neighborhood pool pumps?

OP
C

CBM

Those usually whine. Plus we can't hear it outside.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
OP
C

CBM

Stick your mic out a window and see what you read.
Inside
Ashampoo_Snap_2021.03.09_18h44m29s_001_.png

Outside
Ashampoo_Snap_2021.03.09_18h47m38s_002_.png

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Is that "inside" now, or a copy of earlier?

spacevector

Forum Donor
OP, you used 'we' in the first post but I want to confirm that you and members of your household are all hearing it and not just you?

Reactions: GDK

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
It's a new one. I took a measurement inside and walked out the door nearby for the outside.

I would have expected the outside and inside to have similar frequency peaks.

Of course, it keeps changing.

Outside noise does that as different sources find a path to you as the atmospherics change.

At Audio Buddy's house, who lives 1/2 mile from a busy expressway, on an otherwise quiet evening, while standing on the porch, sometimes every vehicle passing by is heard, and other times we hear none at all, depending on the microclimate of the moment.

1615341330389.png

https://rosap.ntl.bts.gov/view/dot/40318/dot_40318_DS1.pdf

Don Hills

I have no suggestions for the source of the sound, just a suggestion for anyone who might find themselves with a requirement for using a smartphone for recording. Smartphone microphones aren't optimised for full-range recording. I use a cheap lapel microphone with a smartphone plug - it has the same plug as a smartphone handsfree earplug / microphone set. They are also available with USB-C plugs if you have a recent phone with only USB-C. It has wider frequency range, more sensitivity and lower hiss than the built-in microphone.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Do you have 12 foot ceilings thru out the house. or is the main floor about 12.5 feet over a basement? The 44 hz corresponds to something resonating at 12.5 feet spacing or a 25 ft wave.

I have a long listening room and the longest dimension is not quite 34 ft. So it has a resonance of 17 hz. You can see in noise peaks of 17 hz, 34 hz and 51 hz. I don't have any particular source at any of those frequencies, but I take it low frequency pinkish noise excites those resonances. Those peaks grow higher when a train rumbles down a nearby track because it injects more random noise into the structure for it to resonate.

Another possibility is AC ductwork running down the center of your house and each vent branches off going 12 feet or so to the vent and all those ducts the same length resonate. If so it should be worse with AC running, but will still resonate at low levels with the AC off.

rdenney

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I still think you have a motor running in the house you don’t know about. Do you have a sump pump in your basement? A condensate pump in your air handler? A radon mitigation fan? An attic or laundry room ventilation fan? A leaky Sleep Number mattress? A muffin fan with a bad bearing on the NAS stuck in the office cabinet? All of those have made low-level mystery roars for me at one time or another. If it sits on a hard floor or is screwed to a wall, it can resonate the whole structure.

This can get weird. The ceiling fan in our den was an old cheapie installed by the previous owner (and we moved here 19 years ago), and the rubber damper ring rotted and the fan-blade assembly dropped to the floor. I put it out on the porch while I looked for the part (which I never found). Several weeks later, my wife complained of a low-level noise. Took an hour to localize it. When the blade assembly fell, it pulled the pull switch and the fan motor was happily spinning away, turning only its narrow mounting hub, too quiet to be obvious but not silent.

Rick “who has heard several of these through the pillow at night, at least before CPAP” Denney

Somafunk

Major Contributor
Any fracking or other such industrial sites nearby?, given the perfect weather and atmospheric conditions sound can manifest in very strange ways.

Failing that I guess the logical conclusion is your house is built on an Indian burial ground, I’d smash your tv’s up just to be safe and beware of creepy preachers skulking around.

Last edited:
Top Bottom