• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Looking to upgrade from Yamaha HS50 (Alpha 50 Evo, 8030C).

Boy_Narf

Hello Everyone,

I'm a musician and do engineering/mixing for my band (garage/punk) and solo projects (post rock/metal). I've been using a set of HS50's for ages now and I'm looking for something less harsh with a bit more low end extension. I believe the HS50 starts rolling off in the 70's and I have troubles hearing the low end. I tried adding an HS8S a few years back but I really struggled to get it balanced and went back to just the monitors within a few days.

I spent a few hours over two days at L&M shooting out speakers. The top contenders for me are:

Focal Alpha 50 Evo.
Genelec 8030c (over budget).

I initially planned to get the Alpha 50 Evo's as they don't hit -3 until 45 hz and sound pretty balanced (kinda boring if I'm honest). The trouble is when I turned on the 8030c it sounded like a subwoofer was engaged (they assured me they didn't have one hooked up). I'm confused now as there was so much more low end presence/punch with the 8030c. I read both of the ASR in depth reviews and while the 8030c is flatter they both seem to drop off around the same place 45-47hz. Now this is curious to me because in person the 8030c has an incredible low end punch, almost to the point it makes it hard to hear the mids on some busier songs. On the Alpha 50 Evo the kick drum could be heard but didn't really punch through. Can anyone explain this? Frequency charts are saying one thing, but my ears over multiple days are saying another. I checked the back of the 8030c and all the dip switches were set normal (no corrections). I was told the Alpha 50 Evo was set flat but forgot to check. Is this just an example of slightly different room placement having a massive impact on sound reproduction? One was on the top shelf and the other on the middle. I was standing at the same distance and adjusted my height so I was in proper alignment with the woofers during the tests.

Can anyone who has had a chance to shoot these out in person provide some of their thoughts? Compared to every monitor I tried the 8030c seems to have a very hyped low end which is not what testing/reviews have said at all.

***The Alpha 50 Evo's were on Auralex pads***

Thanks.

Last edited:

Rick63

I believe you made a good choice and that you'll be very pleased!

I'm thinking about trying a pair myself so I'm anxious to hear your thoughts after you put them through their paces.

dfuller

Major Contributor
Well after near constant research since posting I think I'm going with a set of the Alpha Evo 65's.
How are you liking them so far?

OP
B

Boy_Narf

I decided in the end there wasn't much point for me to upgrade (plus the store was out of stock). I flipped the -2 midrange switch on the HS50's to smooth out some harshness and after a week or so my ears got used to them. I've been doing some light mixing, gaming, and general media consumption on PC and they are doing the trick (I don't miss my hyped up Logitech surround at all). The 50's are light in the low end for sure but I appreciate that the bass frequencies from my PC don't reverberate through the house anymore. Much less bothersome to my wife while she is working from home since I don't always like to wear headphones.

I don't think there is much point to upgrade while I'm in the small temporary office. I will take another look down the road once we have out living situation sorted out.

I did reach out to Focal and interestingly enough they suggested that the Alpha 50 Evo's need a sub and that I should go straight to the 65's.

Sorry I wasn't more help.

Top Bottom