• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

>Looking to get better sound out of my chromecast audio..is a DAC the answer?

OP
J

JBD

I am casting with chrome browser using plex media station..plex claims to support up to FLAC files. Someone said cast from my router..no idea how to do that and have never heard of that. Plex is software that houses all my 400+ gigs of digital music like a library. Thanks for all the input everyone. Thinking I may not need a DAC after all..

Forgot to mention speakers, they are not bad speakers, they are the EPI 120c model floor speakers from the late 70s. I like them a lot. Nice sounding speakers capable of handling all the different genres of music I listen to.

makatech

What are you streaming to your CCA? Most streaming services are limited by low bitrate audio. Nothing hardware will improve that.

?? easily fixed if this is the issue

This is year 2020 and you have services like Tidal (Hifi), Amazon HD, Qobuz, Deezer Music, Primephonic.

You don't really have to collect FLACs any longer unless hmmm you really like buying and collecting things? ;-) Not to forget the hundreds of hours of time you will save every year for downloading and ripping if you like doing that too. Also it's probably more cost efficient if you are really into music, JBD is writing he has 400+ gigs of music, purchasing all this was really expensive I assume.

Edit: I have no idea if Chromecast support the HD/lossless streams though. ;-)

Last edited:

PitCook

You can look a little at the money, and if your favorite cd costs € 1.00, then I'll rip

popaj

Hello, I have a CCA and I connected it to the amplifier with an analog cable. I also wanted to try the connection via DAC with a toslink cable, but it is not heard. I've tried on two different DACs, but no sound. It plays analog without any problems.

Willem

Major Contributor
This is odd. I have two systems that use the digital output and I have no problems.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Hello, I have a CCA and I connected it to the amplifier with an analog cable. I also wanted to try the connection via DAC with a toslink cable, but it is not heard. I've tried on two different DACs, but no sound. It plays analog without any problems.

Is the toslink cable pushed in far enough? Those mini-connectors can be harder to seat for me.

popaj

Is the toslink cable pushed in far enough? Those mini-connectors can be harder to seat for me.
Well, I pushed the cord really hard. And I noticed that when I pull the cable out of cca, the entrance still glows in red for a while.

popaj

Should we, perhaps when switching from an analogue cable to a digital cable, completely reset CCA? It's stupid, but I don't know what else to try.

Taddpole

Should we, perhaps when switching from an analogue cable to a digital cable, completely reset CCA? It's stupid, but I don't know what else to try.
Does the cable work with other things?

Does the red glow go through the cable?

popaj

Unfortunately, I don't have any other devices I could try with this cable. By the way, I bought it at an authorized store

Top Bottom