• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

>Looking to get better sound out of my chromecast audio..is a DAC the answer?

JBD

Hello folks, i'm new here. I have been using a chromecast audio for several years plugged into my vintage late 80s harman kardon integrated ampand streaming a 400 gig collection of music from my latop.. I have been wondering if a DAC (have the topping e30 in mind) would improve the sound? Also, what would the logistics of connecting the chromecast audio and the e30 together into my vintage amp entail? Thanks!

anon2k2

Forum Donor
The way to connect your CCA to the DAC is with a 3.5mm Toslink cable. Apparently the native casting protocol to send music to the CCA isn’t very good, but the method that Roon uses to send music to the CCA can be very good.

OP
J

JBD

no idea who or what roon is...lol

OP
J

JBD

ok just looked it up...sounds great...but cant afford.

bigx5murf

Addicted to Fun and Learning
What are you streaming to your CCA? Most streaming services are limited by low bitrate audio. Nothing hardware will improve that.

BillG

Major Contributor
Apparently the native casting protocol to send music to the CCA isn’t very good

I don't know where you're getting that idea from. However, I've used Chromecasts for several years now, both the audio and video varieties, and I've never had a serious issue with Google Cast. It's far easier to deal with than DLNA/UPnP, and even Bluetooth on occasion, once one goes through a very simple configuration process.

There was a bug with sending 24/96 content to CCA - it would stutter intermittently - but that's been resolved for, at least, over a year now.

bigx5murf

CCA will handle content up to and including 24/96 uncompressed *.wav. Paid streaming services usually offer 320 kbps MP3 at a minimum, which is CD transparent to the vast majority users.

Keyword "paid", the amount of data being streamed by free services dwarf paid services by a large margin.

Even if most paid services stream 320kbps at the minimum, you have no idea which mastering they used, which can often affect SQ significantly.

BillG

Major Contributor
have been wondering if a DAC (have the topping e30 in mind) would improve the sound?

No, and I'm not one to spend money unnecessarily on equipment that offers no real benefit. The analog output of the CCA is already transparent to Redbook (CD) standard as shown by performance analysis conducted here on Audio Science Review.

By the way, I've run my own CCA both optical and analog into an integrated amp and there was no preceived difference in sound quality to me.

BillG

Major Contributor
Keyword "paid", the amount of data being streamed by free services dwarf paid services by a large margin.

Even if most paid services stream 320kbps at the minimum, you have no idea which mastering they used, which can often affect SQ significantly.

I don't care about the mastering. As for paid versus free, you're the one who made the unqualified statement initially. Are you trying to save face now?

Willem

Major Contributor
The inbuilt DAC of the CCA is really very good. It is nonsense that there is something wrong with the protocol. The only sound quality problem is if you stream from your Chrome browser. Just stream directly from your router or from your nas and you should be fine.
There may be a sensitivity mismatch between the output of the cca and your older amplifier. You may want to avoid the so called high dynamic range setting of the cca. It has nothing to do with dynamic range and only produces a modern 2 volt output level that may be too much for your amplifier from an age with a different standard.

M00ndancer

Forum Donor
I have been wondering if a DAC (have the topping e30 in mind) would improve the sound?
Probably not. Better speakers, room treatments, EQ, DSP(digital room correction) will improve the sound. Also what @brimble said.

bigx5murf

Perhaps English isn't your first language. However, forum arguments over something as trivial as this are of little interest to me and everyone else.

I simply stated the odds of poor sources dwarf the possibility of hardware limitations, when chasing SQ issues on CCA.

You're the one who decided this was Twitter, got nasty, and used the term "save face" (a Chinese saying). Then go and accuse me of poor English?

Last edited:

tom_tom

I'm using CCA with Topping D50S and it sounds much better to me than connected with analog out. I have no measurement to support this statement. Just " on ear " experience.

BillG

Major Contributor
I simply stated the odds of poor sources with dwarf the possibility of hardware limitations, when chasing SQ issues on CCA.

You're the one who decided this was Twitter, got nasty, then used the term "save face" (a Chinese saying). Then go and accuse me of poor English?

Riiight! OK, well I'm not interested in dealing with your personality disorder, either. We won't encounter each other thanks to the ignore function... :cool:

bigx5murf

Riiight! OK, well I'm not interested in dealing with your personality disorder, either. We won't encounter each other thanks to the ignore function... :cool:

Wow, textbook case...

Psychological projection is “a psychological defense mechanism where a person subconsciously denies his or her own attributes, thoughts, and emotions, which are then ascribed to the outside world, usually to other people. Thus, projection involves imagining or projecting the belief that others originate those feelings.”

Top Bottom