• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Looking for suggestions for a budget setup under 300$ to play CDs in my dorm

DanielT

Major Contributor
Sorry for the extremely late reply. The desk in my dorm room is pretty small, and I might have to lean them against the wall (as my desk is right against the wall) with a meter apart. If that's the case, will headphones be a better option? And if I eventually decide to go with headphones, must I buy an amp to make my headphones function?
Hello! :)

Then we take new healthy steps. Not that big you say. Would you need a pair of desktop speakers? Maybe with a little sub in your room?:)

If you have a really small room and are sitting very close to the speakers, you should think about some suggestions in this thread. Certainly nothing wrong with those speakers, but they should fit in your room.

Are you crowded and sitting close to the speakers. Small active NEAR field monitors are a good choice then. :) Plus then try to include a small active sub in the equation (you can always buy sub later, just check how to plug a sub into your active small speakers). I had added sub, but it's a matter of taste. Maybe nothing you need.

Take advantage now on Black Friday! Find something fun.:)

Edit :
Right. Used, pros and cons. I managed to buy the good Denon I mentioned earlier..Worked perfectly. The remote control as well.

Until it did not work. Stuck, do not want to start (batteries in the remote control are new). Then it's time to tinker.:)

Attachments

• IMG_20211126_091259.jpg
    IMG_20211126_091259.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_20211126_091307.jpg
    IMG_20211126_091307.jpg
    128.6 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_20211126_091739.jpg
    IMG_20211126_091739.jpg
    149.5 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:

Walter

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Not yet, was actually waiting for Black Friday sale, but now I'm hesitant again about whether I should go for a speaker setup or a headphone setup. Do you have any advice for a headphone setup with around the same budget? And a stupid question, is amp a must for headphones to function?
I don't use headphones so I can't be of much help here. The Sennheiser 58X and 6XX for about $130 and $180 on drop.com both looked really appealing but I'm not sure if the price is still valid. Whether you HAVE to have an amp will depend on the quality and power of the headphone output on your source device, and on the specific phones you choose.

Walter

As for small, the Kali Audio LP-6 v1 have been on sale lately. They are medium size but don't need a separate amp.

DanielT

Major Contributor
As for small, the Kali Audio LP-6 v1 have been on sale lately. They are medium size but don't need a separate amp.
Given all the suggestions in the thread, mine and others', I would have gone for them. If they fit in Kvluo room that is.:)

Just a question. Some active speakers MAY have some audible noise. Is that what Kali improved with v2? Lowered the noise level?

Note this is a question. I do not know if this is the case with v1 of Kali. Then there is the question of the year audible, how close you have to be to the speakers to hear the noise.

Walter

Just a question. Some active speakers MAY have some audible noise. Is that what Kali improved with v2? Lowered the noise level?
I believe that was actually the main improvement. It is good that you pointed this out, as Kvluo may not be aware of this fact. @kvluo, if you buy powered speakers, buy them from a source that allows returns or at least where you can listen to them first in a quiet room, to make sure they do not have a hiss at low volume that will bother you.

OP
K

kvluo

I believe that was actually the main improvement. It is good that you pointed this out, as Kvluo may not be aware of this fact. @kvluo, if you buy powered speakers, buy them from a source that allows returns or at least where you can listen to them first in a quiet room, to make sure they do not have a hiss at low volume that will bother you.
Thank you so much for the advice! I think I'll be going for headphones instead as my roommate said that speakers would be an issue for him

Walter

Thank you so much for the advice! I think I'll be going for headphones instead as my roommate said that speakers would be an issue for him
I would definitely consider the two Sennheiser models I mentioned, but they are open back so they might emit just enough sound to be even more annoying than speakers. Maybe stick to closed back phones or IEMs like the Moondrop Aria or Etymotic E2/E3 range.

DanielT

Major Contributor
That sounds reasonable!:)

Tip. Our ears are very different. Ear canals differs. Imagine a speaker. You know that it is absolutely crucial that the volume of the box itself matches the speaker elements. The volume / quantity of the box should be in sync with speaker elements. It is basic course 1A when it comes to speakers.

Okay, we'll take headphones. Take a pair of closed headphones. What happens? Well the manufacturer of headphones has constructed these based on a standard model of an ear. But what is it that says that this standard model is the same as your ears? Absolutely nothing because it is not. Then you have practically a couple of speaker elements in a speaker box, with a different volume than the ones they were designed for. That is, the volume of your ears (speaker box). Will the sound go wrong then? You can trust that it will be not that good. Really wrong even. Solution? EQ. The ABSOLUTELY most important thing when it comes to headphones (all models but mainly closed headphones) is to EQa and set the frequency response. It can be at least 10 dB (that's a lot!) in difference in the frequency response between the same headphones and two people's different ears.

Here comes the tricky question. Okay EQ. It's good and there are many who do with ordinary speakers. Mainly subwoofers because they can have an awful fluttering frequency response. It can do wonders for the sound. A measuring microphone is used for this. You sweep a ton to get a graph. After that, you set the frequency response via an EQ. Okay but what do you do with your ears? Can you get a measuring microphone in your ears? Think about it then you can read here for tips and suggestions for EQa with headphones: :)

A sensible EQa headphone that costs around $ 100-150 will sound better than a non-EQa headphone that costs well no matter how much. Take the most expensive headphones available. The cheaper one with EQ for your ears will still sound better. Sound better every day of the week. It is the frequency response that is the most important parameter for good sound, sound reproduction.

EQ is now done in the digital world. Should you use physical CDs and EQa so hm. Sorry. I do not really know how to do then in a sensible way. Hopefully someone more experienced can help you with that.

Or you ignore EQa with headphones. The only thing you need to care about then is to buy headphones that are comfortable for your ears and are not heavy to push for the amplifier.:)

Edit:
Well for the sake of sound then even if frequency response is the most important thing as low distortion. Now I'm not exactly a headphone guy so I can not tell you about models that have low distortion. You can ask more experienced about that. In addition, the eternal question when distortion becomes audible. There are many threads about that question on ASR.

Last edited:

Walter

That sounds reasonable!:)

A sensible EQa headphone that costs around $ 100-150 will sound better than a non-EQa headphone that costs well no matter how much. Take the most expensive headphones available. The cheaper one with EQ for your ears will still sound better. Sound better every day of the week. It is the frequency response that is the most important parameter for good sound, sound reproduction.
I am absolutely no expert on headphones, but I have been doing a fair amount of reading here. I will probably be needing a pair of closed back headphones soon, myself, as I've found that IEMs distract me when working. While your basic comments are certainly sound, I think you overstate a bit what EQ can do. Yes, it can make a good headphone great and a bad one OK, but you are still much better off starting with one that is good to begin with. This is especially true when it comes to bass. Most headphones that are otherwise good seem to be VERY deficient in bass. That is also where the highest distortion occurs. So if you need to raise the gain significantly in the bass, you quickly run into unacceptable levels of distortion. I'm probably going to go with an Audio-Technica ATH-M40x or M50x, as they get good marks for comfort and reasonably good sound--and most importantly, they are one of the few models I can buy here in Cambodia. If I find that I like wearing them but want better quality, the next most likely candidate seems to be the Dan Clark Audio Aeon Closed X from drop.com when they are on sale for $379, as they are now. However, when combined with even a good dongle, that is getting out of the OP's price range (and mine, right at the moment).

DanielT

Major Contributor
I am absolutely no expert on headphones, but I have been doing a fair amount of reading here. I will probably be needing a pair of closed back headphones soon, myself, as I've found that IEMs distract me when working. While your basic comments are certainly sound, I think you overstate a bit what EQ can do. Yes, it can make a good headphone great and a bad one OK, but you are still much better off starting with one that is good to begin with. This is especially true when it comes to bass. Most headphones that are otherwise good seem to be VERY deficient in bass. That is also where the highest distortion occurs. So if you need to raise the gain significantly in the bass, you quickly run into unacceptable levels of distortion. I'm probably going to go with an Audio-Technica ATH-M40x or M50x, as they get good marks for comfort and reasonably good sound--and most importantly, they are one of the few models I can buy here in Cambodia. If I find that I like wearing them but want better quality, the next most likely candidate seems to be the Dan Clark Audio Aeon Closed X from drop.com when they are on sale for $379, as they are now. However, when combined with even a good dongle, that is getting out of the OP's price range (and mine, right at the moment).
Good tips!:)

Maybe I'm exaggerating this with EQ and headphones but imagine that Amir would review a pair of speakers and it would flutter 10 dB up and down in the frequency curve. A couple of such speakers would go in the trash right away. But not so with headphones. It can also, due to the fact that our ear canals are different, differ 10 dB in frequency response even with really expensive headphones.

Well one thing that kvlou should think about is headphones with a cord or not and if headphones should only be used in the listening room or when he is out and about, running for example.

Although you can have several different headphones, for different purposes.:)

Will3

Used Oppo 970hd plays CD, SACD, DVD video on your computer monitor (has HDMI & toslink out + remote) $50-100 on Ebay plus the best powered speakers on ASR review index $200-250. Done

Also FYI: http://noaudiophile.com/Behringer_Truth_B2031A/ Used $250
AGREED
I run an OPPO DV971 thru a Bifrost 2 into Edifier 1280DB's and old 8" powered sub and it sometimes shocks me when a listen to it!

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The worst part of old Oppos are what $ they go for now! Altho Oppo does still offer service (in the US at least). One of the best universal players in general, tho.

Top Bottom