• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Looking for suggestions for a budget setup under 300$ to play CDs in my dorm

DanielT

Major Contributor
Old but nibbling good. A classic little racer. Get ready for "the killer":cool:

Kvlou, just have fun. You will surely be satisfied with what you end up with.:p

Then like, I think everyone in the thread said. Put the gunpowder on the speakers. They are on to something one can almost start to suspect.;)

It should also be added that active speakers are very smart.

Edit:
Then I suspect this, if you are not so experienced and look at used speakers and of you see for example these (I checked a little quickly now on a Swedish site). for sale. The active ones a little more expensive then you get amplifiers included in the price:

Active:
KRK Rocket 8 g3
Pioneer S-DJ50x

Passiv:
CHARIO SYNTAX 200
Wharfedale Diamond 12.1

That's the question, if choosing Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 then you need in this case considering your budget. not much money left for CD / DVD player and amplifier. However, the gunpowder on the speakers, but will the amplifier then be enough for Wharfedale Diamond 12.1? ....maybe still those active KRK Rocket 8 g3....But Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 got good grades, reviews when Amir tested them ... so ..

and so on. ....this is really fun with Hifi I think, to think back and forth. :)

Some examples if you are going to translate suggestions on how to choose Hifi in this thread it to sharp action and buy something. What do you choose?

You do not have to answer. It was mostly to show how it can be in a sharp situation.It usually ends with trying, testing what fits, what you like. It's kind of like that.:)

Attachments

• shot_2021-11-01_05-08-05 (1).png
    shot_2021-11-01_05-08-05 (1).png
    2.4 MB · Views: 55
  • shot_2021-11-01_05-08-30 (1).png
    shot_2021-11-01_05-08-30 (1).png
    1.9 MB · Views: 85
  • shot_2021-11-01_05-08-52 (1).png
    shot_2021-11-01_05-08-52 (1).png
    1.1 MB · Views: 79
Last edited:

Erici

Forum Donor
In the end, I would probably go for the Kali LP-6 and connect it to a computer. This puts all the money into speakers. The computer's analogue output may not be great, but these days it will not be horrible either. You can always add a DAC with volume control like the Topping E30 later. Unless you have a massive collection of CDs, I would go for streaming.
Great Idea!
And if your folks have an Amazon Prime subscription, they have one free Amazon Prime Music account, which you could probably borrow from them. The Amazon player works on cell phones, tablets, and PCs. Then you could spend all of the $300 on a good set of powered speakers like the LP-6.
Or just buy the Edifier R1280DB Powered Bluetooth Speakers for $140 and use Bluetooth from your phone to stream Amazon Prime Music.

DanielT

Major Contributor
Many fun and exciting tips in this thread based on the budget.

In the end, it is up to you Kvlou to decide what you like. :)

If you buy an amplifier with tone controls, bass and treble, you can test with your friends with a few songs. You may set them differently depending on your liking and taste. For example, there are those who like elevated bass, others do not.Extra elevated bass can have a bit of new pleasure over it, which can pass .. or not. You have to figure it out yourself. :)

Maybe you're a bass maniac? Maybe you would like small bookshelf speakers and a subwoofer? Though the neighbors can go crazy.:)

What kind of music do you listen to?
If you were to choose between sheer, precise, light clear sound with not so much bass compared to a more "hard" pumping bass sound, what would you choose?

I think, for example, that amplifiers that have a loudness function (button you press to get extra bass) are nice to have sometimes when playing at low volume. I like that, maybe you Kvlou would not like that. Some like to turn on more bass on bass-poor recordings. Others do not like to do that at all, so it is a matter of taste.

You know, for example, if you're just listening to music like this, the advice in the thread might look a little different:

Last edited:

coonmanx

CD player. Get a Panasonic SL-S160 (basically Technics). Takes up very little space and sounds great. You can probably get one for 30 to 40 bucks off of Ebay. Sounds every bit as good or better than my much larger units.

coonmanx

How about $20? One available right now for that price. I use one and also a friend uses the exact same one.

Attachments

• Screenshot at 2021-11-11 10-50-52.png
    Screenshot at 2021-11-11 10-50-52.png
    303.1 KB · Views: 91

coonmanx

You don't need a separate DAC unless you feel like getting into streaming. The DACs in some of those older CD players are very good. I like the Technics MASH units but I also have two other CD players, a Scott and a JVC that both sound great.

The main thing here is to figure out if you want passive or active speakers. Parts Express has some speakers that are fairly low cost and do well. The bookshelf speakers are smaller and will fit into smaller environments, like a dorm room. You won't get any hardcore bass but you could always add in a sub later. With passive speakers you will need to get a small amp.

Some of these speakers from Parts Express are dirt cheap. I don't know how they sound but you can read the reviews...

coonmanx

More expensive speakers...

DanielT

Major Contributor
Fun to with different suggestions. I'm putting in hm ... some power this time. This one used for $130 I bought this spring. Drives my subwoffer. The seller had sat in silence Noctua fans in it.Of course, it also works to power a pair of passive full-range speakers with it :)

Mostly just to show that there are many different types of solutions that more or less fit within the budget.

Can you have too much effect? No.
(Basically)

Can you have too little effect? Yes

Mostly just to show that there are many different types of solutions that more or less fit within the budget.

Amplifier:
the t.amp E-800
Power: 2x 500 W at 4 Ohm, 2x 350 W at 8 Ohm, 1 x 1000W bridged at 8 Ohm

Attachments

• 20211111_224555393.jpeg
    20211111_224555393.jpeg
    82.6 KB · Views: 50
  • t-amp_e800-amplifier-front.jpg
    t-amp_e800-amplifier-front.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 69
Last edited:
OP
K

kvluo

Is this the first time you are going to connect, get a Hifi system up and running?
It is an advantage for us in the thread when we give tips and suggestions to you if we know a little more about what your experience and knowledge is/are.:)
Yea I have zero experience with audio setup, this is my first one!

DanielT

Major Contributor
Some of these speakers from Parts Express are dirt cheap. I don't know how they sound but you can read the reviews...
A little hesitant about them, but Dayton otherwise has very interesting and affordable Hifi solutions. :)

DanielT

Major Contributor
Yea I have zero experience with audio setup, this is my first one!
We are all children in the beginning.:)
I have some experience but Im learn gradually. The advantage of a forum like ASR. There are many with a lot of experience. You get many good tips and advice.

Take it easy. This will be good. We take it step by step then.From the beginning then. If you did not mention it.

How big is your room where you should have the stereo? How far, approximately, will it be between the speakers and the place where you will be listening?What kind of music do you listen to?

If you want to tell us about the above above that is. Of course, you do not have to do that if you do not want to.:)

Edit:
Carpets and furniture can affect the sound in a positive direction. Only mention it in passing if you do not know that regarding sound, acoustics and HiFi.

Edit 2
Although you can check here. What size of speaker fits in small rooms? How you place the speakers, distance from where you listen, how wide apart those speakers should be and how you angle them affect the sound VERY much. Different speakers spread the sound in different ways. It has great significance regarding how it sounds

Small rooms and good bass a chapter in itself.In a small room, it can be a little too much (bass) of the good stuff so to speak. If you exaggerate. Imagine half your room occupied by extremely large subwoofers. Not the best solution.:)

Not for nothing that there is a completely separate section here at ASR called: Room Acoustics and General Speaker Discussions

Use the search function and search for: small room
So a lot will turn up.

Acoustics in rooms
If you are not interested in the theory, check out 2:10 in the video and you will understand. You hear the difference between before and after. A lot can be done with ordinary furniture and carpets, I can add:

You can see here. It's not just you as a beginner who is thinking about what type of speaker is right. Everyone does it, regardless of level of knowledge and experience. Advantage of ASR. You can discuss with others and get tips, ideas and advice: :)
(skip read that thread so carefully most shown as an example)

Last edited:

DanielT

Major Contributor
How much performance you can get for little money.

Denon DBP-2012UD little used and in good condition.
$ 35

In Sweden, but I suspect that it looks quite similar in terms of price in the used market for DVD players.

Audio formats: PCM, DD, DTS, MP3, WMA
Signal to Noise Ratio: 125dB
Dynamic range: 110dB
Total harmonic distortion: 0.0008%
Digital Output: Coaxial
Video Connections: HDMI, Component,

I emailed the seller. Will see if I get it. But at that price, it is probably sold now. Not in need of another DVD player but well could not help it. He he. :p
The chance that you kvlou live in Sweden is minimal, but if you do, buy it yourself. I'll skip it in that case. Still have a decent player. :)

Attachments

• s-l640.jpg
    s-l640.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 85
  • 20211112_221938480.jpeg
    20211112_221938480.jpeg
    77.9 KB · Views: 96
Last edited:

coonmanx

You have gotten a lot of different replies, but most say the same thing: buy an inexpensive, preferably used, disc player with a remote and either buy a secondhand amp and speakers, or get a pair of good active speakers, which have the amp built in. The DAC in the CD player won't be great, but it will be good enough. If you are in the USA and you want a system ASAP, the Kali LP-6 on sale is the best option if buying new. Or you can gamble that either the JBL 305p or Stage A130 goes on sale on Black Friday. With the latter, you will need an amp like the A07. (Note: If you could buy some of the better Edifier speakers there at the prices they sell for in Asia, they would be worth considering, but not at their US prices.)
How do you know that "the DAC in the CD player won't be great"? I find it amusing that people automatically discount built-in DAC's yet there are many good to great ones in service as we speak. My little Panasonic SL-S160 has a very good sounding DAC that I would gladly put up against more expensive units.

Walter

Addicted to Fun and Learning
How do you know that "the DAC in the CD player won't be great"? I find it amusing that people automatically discount built-in DAC's yet there are many good to great ones in service as we speak. My little Panasonic SL-S160 has a very good sounding DAC that I would gladly put up against more expensive units.
I was not stating that. I was trying to summarize what had been recommended to that point, as I suspected the OP might be getting overwhelmed and confused. I haven't heard a CD player in a home in at least 15 years. I have no idea how good they are or are not these days.

DanielT

Major Contributor
Okay lets make it easy for kvlou. Remember budget and that this his first hifi system.

Kvlou, regarding CD player. Buy which one you likel. It will be fine.:)
Do not buy an expensive CD player, consider if you want one with a remote control or not.

The gun powder on the speakers.:)

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Used Oppo 970hd plays CD, SACD, DVD video on your computer monitor (has HDMI & toslink out + remote) $50-100 on Ebay plus the best powered speakers on ASR review index $200-250. Done

Also FYI: http://noaudiophile.com/Behringer_Truth_B2031A/ Used $250

Last edited:

Robin L

Master Contributor
Okay lets make it easy for kvlou. Remember budget and that this his first hifi system.

Kvlou, regarding CD player. Buy which one you likel. It will be fine.:)
Do not buy an expensive CD player, consider if you want one with a remote control or not.

The gun powder on the speakers.:)
Note that disc players eventually wear out, and when they do, they are usually hard to repair for reasonable money. I put as little money as possible on the disc player, and get one with digital coax out. While the sound of most CDs players is more than good enough, I need the flexibility of a DAC that also can play files or streaming. I spent about $7 for a Sony Blu-Ray player that can also play SACDs [including old, single layer discs], $10 for a new remote, but a little under $150 for a Topping E30 as DAC. Your mileage may vary.

DanielT

Major Contributor
Note that disc players eventually wear out, and when they do, they are usually hard to repair for reasonable money. I put as little money as possible on the disc player, and get one with digital coax out. While the sound of most CDs players is more than good enough, I need the flexibility of a DAC that also can play files or streaming. I spent about $7 for a Sony Blu-Ray player that can also play SACDs [including old, single layer discs], $10 for a new remote, but a little under $150 for a Topping E30 as DAC. Your mileage may vary.
Quite right, when buying used electronics so well that's exactly what it is, used. How much do old players wear? I've been unlucky with two out of three used Bluray players. That is, the two have worked well but with an audible buzzing sound. The third no buzzing sound. Of course, this can only be a coincidence. In this thread mentioned, do not remember who, that he had many different used players and they have worked well.:)

Before buying , listening or trust the seller's words when he says it works properly

Functionality and in and outputs must be weighed into the selection of players.My blind listening test Sony BDP-S570, vs CD player Marantz CD5001 I bought the Sony (it works well) for $ 11 plus a new remote for $ 17.

Results. I heard zero, zipp, nada, no difference at all.:)

Last edited:

coonmanx

Honestly if OP wants space saving in a dorm then a Panasoinc portable CD player with a MASH DAC would be perfect. Those units sound wonderful and just as good as the two full size units I have (one is a JVC XL-V151 and the other is a Scott DA952A). And you can get a Panasonic SL-S160 for as little as $20 shipped. Truly a bargain for good sound.

How long will it last? Who knows... But for $20 you can always snap up another one when it does take a crap.

coonmanx

Good sounding budget systems are totally doable if you take the time to do the research and maybe get a little lucky finding the right stuff. Good sounding speakers are always the most important thing and then I would say a good amplifier capable of getting you the volume level that you desire. Then after that you can worry about the rest of it. CD players can be had for dirt cheap these days and many still work great and sound great. But there are a ton of choices out there and really no right answers as long as you stick to quality made components and not junk.

Top Bottom