• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Looking for headphones + amp/dac recommendations for my desk

laucien

Hi!, new guy here... sorry for opening with a question as typical but after lurking the place and researching for a while I kinda have more questions than before haha. /Edit: Might or might not have posted in the wrong subforum... sorry!.

I want to get a decent headphones+amp/dac solution for my computer and could really use some pointers on what to look for. Right now its going to be used with my laptop but eventually with a desktop computer (once I get around putting one together) so I'm not looking for portability. Main uses will be in this order music (local, streaming and youtube) > gaming > movies.

Here are some important bits of info:
  • Budget: About 350ish Euro for everything. Could squeeze it a bit further along if needed and something is really worth it but that would be the ideal maximum.
  • Where will I be buying from: I'm in Germany and would like to be limited to whatever is available at Amazon.de as I have a couple gift cards to use towards this.
  • Expected use: As I mentioned. Music (local, streaming and youtube) > Gaming > Movies. Most likely in that order.
  • Type of sound I like?: I've seen this question popping over a few times and... I honestly have no idea. For reference the stuff I listen to the most are metal (GloryHammer, Amaranthe, Sabaton, Nightwish, Rhapsody, stuff like that) and musical theater stuff like Wicked, Anastasia, Heathers and Hamilton.
  • Closed/Open back?: I've never used open back headphones so I have no idea how they sound compared to closed back ones. I used to live in a studio apartment so sound leakage was a problem but now I have my own small office/computer room so could give those a try.
  • Future upgrade path: Eventually I also want to get a decent pair of bookshelf speakers so an amp/dac that could also be used in this scenario would be nice.

What I've looked at so far:
  • AMP/DAC Combo: Topping DX3 Pro. I don't think I'll need inputs other than the USB but looks like (to me at least) I could plug in a pair of speakers in the future as well as the headphones. Reviews are pretty good other than some early defects on the first batches?. The bluetooth part is a bonus so I can use it with my work laptop.
  • Headphones: Been looking at the DT770/880/990 trying to decide which ones to go with and which impedance... that last part is something I never thought about before so no idea what to go with. Would that depende on usage (as in, stuff I would be listening to) or assuming I won't use them without the amp I should just go with whatever the highest it can drive is?.

So... hopefully that's a good bit of info to get an idea if what I want but please let me know if I'm missing anything.

Thanks!.

Top Bottom