• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Looking for a budget DAC/AMP (~100€/$)

Barok

As it's my 1st post, I'd like to say hello :cool:

Now, the topic - I'm looking at something to replace my PC-audio ALC-1220 soundard (MSI X470 M7) becuase... I'm annyoed by some hissing in my headphones. And somehow I think these should be amped better because when I had Yamaha A520, headphones gave me better experience, definetly ;)

My current setup is:
  • headphones
    • AKG K530 LTD
    • ATH-M50xBT
  • Amp: Cambridge Audio A5
  • Speakers: Celef Domestic II Super
I've been searching for a good DAC/Amp for a few days, but as a news/review freak I often read some revievs and it's not that far topic... even if, I could say I'm green in audio.

My candidates are:
  1. FX-Audio X6mk2 (~280 PLN [~75$], Black Friday sale) - I'm a bit uncertain reading some revievs of 1st revision/version and if the quality is ok or not, LINK
  2. TempoTec Sonata iDSD (~100$ BF sale either), LINK
  3. SoundMagic Serenade DSD (~100€, new, a bit scratched during transport). LINK
Requirements...
I don't want something which sounds worse than current ALC-1220 implemented on my MSI X470 M7 :p

It should work flawlessly in Windows 10 environment... as I read about some people who needs to loop "silence" sound to not have gaps in signal after playing music.

If someone asked my about my kind of music or sound signature preferences... DAC/Amp doesn't have to color anything...
I like my current equipment - I enjoy both my long-term used AKG headphones and the new acquisition from ATH. Both pairs are slightly different, but each one fits my taste. It's even better than with women, because you can have more headphones that you like and it's just a matter of a budget ;):facepalm:

It seems to me that no. (3) is quite an opportunity, but I am asking for advice, because technically I do not know the music equipment at all, although it seems to me that audio from the launch of SoundMagic Serenade DSD (~2014/2015) has not made a leap, especially in my budget.

Other suggestions also come into play, although... I will rather not toss more coins, even to the Witcher. And the problem might be that I live in Europe, in Poland to be specific :)

Best wishes,
Paweł (Paul) ;)

OP
B

Barok

This very forum has a huge listing of tested DAC/phones amps. An entire forum dedicated to them. You should be able to find something available to you.
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...nation-audio-dac-and-headphone-amplifiers.53/

Well, there's nearly nothing about my picks and I don't like "dongles" - best option is to use both RCA>AMP>speakers and Jack>headphones.

If you know anything about technical specifications (used parts, quality, etc), that might be helpful.

The only one option I thought may be ok was Sabah D3 but I wasn't tempted by Amazon reviews and some other opinions about quality (I know D5 is good but it's too pricey).

M00ndancer

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
EU or US?
Hard to get for €100...
In EU:

FX-AUDIO DAC-X6 MKII

Why not get an external soundcard? I found many that are really good as DAC/headphone amp with volume control...

OP
B

Barok

EU or US?
Hard to get for €100...
In EU:

FX-AUDIO DAC-X6 MKII

Why not get an external soundcard? I found many that are really good as DAC/headphone amp with volume control...

Hmm, I thought that sound card = some kind of DAC anyway. I was looking at Creative G6 or X3 but these are above the budget and couldn't find any used nearly it. Did you have something in mind?

The X6 mk II looks nice and I'll have 2 years local warranty but even at this forum, the previous version, got rather cool reception. I am concerned a bit of quality for the price becuase that things is "all-in-one", with even a (so-so) bluetooth included.

I won't hide that TempoTec Sonata iDSD or SoundMagic Serenade DSD, even if older, seem to hide better interiors and supports more formats .

M00ndancer

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Did you have something in mind?
At €100 it's hard to find anything useful, but this is what I found:

Focusrite Scarlett Solo 3rd Gen
Swissonic UA-2x2

Motu M2 would have my vote but that's twice the price, and well up in the very good DAC/AMP territory.

At €100 you will get what you pay for... hard to find anything really good with all the features you want.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Honestly i would invest in an Topping L30 (130$) as an Amp and get the Apple USB type C dongle for 10$ as a DAC

once you get more money you can buy a standalone DAC, but the Apple dongle is well above audible limits with a SINAD score of 96db

Mike B

At €100 it's hard to find anything useful, but this is what I found:

Focusrite Scarlett Solo 3rd Gen
Swissonic UA-2x2

Motu M2 would have my vote but that's twice the price, and well up in the very good DAC/AMP territory.

At €100 you will get what you pay for... hard to find anything really good with all the features you want.
I know Focusrite products are popular with musicians for their analog to digital path. Are they optimized for good D to A as well? (I am not arguing I am asking, I have only seen them used the opposite direction, with the analog out just used as a headphone driver.)

More to the point I have only seen Focusrite Solos and 2i2's plugged into computers and talking to recording software. Could I plug a CD player output into the USB port on a Focusrite audio interface and then connect the analog out to an amplifier with no computer involved?

Last edited:
OP
B

Barok

Thank for all your replies.

I reconsidered my thought and after some time and longer research I'm going to buy headphone amplifier/preamp.

Why? Because line-out of mine ALC1220 is dead silent (no noise on my speakers) so if I can't afford a good DAC/AMP, I found barely used and recommend there Monoprice Monolith Liquid Spark with 1,5 year warranty :cool: Well, the price is still ~100$, but the new one costs ~170-190$ where I live.

I think in the future I could find just a good DAC and don't care about it's amplified outputs. I suppose it's not a bad idea ;)

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
Sounds like a plan.

BTW, you don't happen to be judging performance from a front panel headphone output? Lots and lots of PC cases have screwed up front panels that cause ground loops... and even if you manage to interrupt those by bravely taking a cutting instrument to the front panel PCB, HDA cabling may still not provide a ground return resistance low enough depending on headphone impedance and wire gauge.

Top Bottom