• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Linkwitz-Transform or BR subs?

AstroMik

I have four Peerless SLS12 woofer. I had a plan to use them for 3ways... changed my mind.
The SLS12 not a subwoofer, but the lack of xmax (18mm P-P) or power (100W) can be managed by using more... like the 4 I have, in my 'man-cave'
The max SPL is OK with need only a modest amp power. My question is should I make 4 'smallish' sealed enclosure and do a Linkwitz Transform (musical?), or 4 bigger BR (fun?) tuned to 25Hz-ish. Anyone compared L-Transform to BR tuning? If it has enough displacement, should the equalized sealed box can compete with the BR?
Also, is a double up push-pull sub has real merit? Like the M&K subs.
Mostly music, and a bit of movies.
Cheers,
Mik

ppataki

Major Contributor
The sealed boxes will sound tighter and faster - simply more precise
But be aware that an LT filter will consume a LOT of amp power + you will need a HPF as well to get rid of the lowest frequencies
Another option is using a simple low-shelf filter instead of an LT filter - that puts less burden on the amp and the speaker too and maybe you won't even need a HPF in that case (this is what I am also doing with my sealed DIY system that is in my signature)

And about push-pull: instead of that I would just simply do a DOS subwoofer (or more.... :))
Examples:

fineMen

Major Contributor
I have four Peerless SLS12 woofer. I had a plan to use them for 3ways... changed my mind.
The SLS12 not a subwoofer, but the lack of xmax (18mm P-P) or power (100W) can be managed by using more... like the 4 I have, in my 'man-cave'
The max SPL is OK with need only a modest amp power. My question is should I make 4 'smallish' sealed enclosure and do a Linkwitz Transform (musical?), or 4 bigger BR (fun?) tuned to 25Hz-ish. Anyone compared L-Transform to BR tuning? If it has enough displacement, should the equalized sealed box can compete with the BR?
Cheers,
Mik
There is no good 'small' ported bass, because mostly the port's noise will limit the avaiable (clean) output severely. Passive aka drone assemblies won't help because they tend to become too heavy to work reliably over time. But if internal volume is not the most pressing concern a ported design will +6dB (~double) the output for a given cone surface area and same amp power.

Sidenote: it doesn't make sense to compare closed vs sealed without proper equalization to the same response.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Cheers,
Mik
You do realise that in a closed box a single SLS12 can generate almost 100dBSPL at 20Hz in a stereo setup. 9mm Xmax is pretty decent.

OP
A

AstroMik

You do realise that in a closed box a single SLS12 can generate almost 100dBSPL at 20Hz in a stereo setup. 9mm Xmax is pretty decent.
Yes, I do. This is a plot of the 4 12" in 1/2 space... room gain still lift 20Hz more. So, sealed and L-Transform is the way to go. This Peerless woofer not need KWs of power. About 50W/per unit for the low end and a few Ws for upper bass sufficient I think.

Attachments

• Peerless SLS-P830669 SPL.jpg
    Peerless SLS-P830669 SPL.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 44

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, I do. This is a plot of the 4 12" in 1/2 space... room gain still lift 20Hz more. So, sealed and L-Transform is the way to go. This Peerless woofer not need KWs of power. About 50W/per unit for the low end and a few Ws for upper bass sufficient I think.
What is the power input for that chart?

OP
A

AstroMik

What is the power input for that chart?
250W for the 4 woofer on 8ohm... it's an academic exercise. Just to test max SPL/Xmax. At this level, will pin someone on the wall playing S.R. Vaughan :cool: For kick-drum need only a few Ws to play loud enough and the distortion will be low... for Hollywood's unoptanium space-weapons need the 50W below 30Hz.

Top Bottom