• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Lexicon DD8 Review (Multichannel Amplifier)

patoulol

Forum Donor
Thank you for your answers!

a friend has just lent me a Yamaha P5000S which delivers nice stable power at 2 - 8 ohms

I will listen if there is a difference with CT 8150 and can be measured with REW.

Attachments

• IMG_3410.jpeg
    IMG_3410.jpeg
    236.2 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:

patoulol

Forum Donor
Yep - so that equates (very roughly) to 17W@8ohm

In my setup with inefficient 86db/wm speakers, I average around 3.4W to 4W and peaks never get to 16W

Also depending on your setup in terms of subs and crossovers - that minimum around 100hz may not be a big issue as the heavy lifting at that point may already be on the sub.

In my setup, I could hear no difference between the 440W XLS2500 (1200W@2ohm) and the 130W Quad606 (90W@2ohm) - as long as you have "enough" power for your SPL's, and the amps are stable into the load - you should be OK.
no because in stereo my two right and left speakers are cut at 60hz. but I am in a 16m2 room so no need for high power to reach 100db peaks

I switched to the CT 8150 because the amplifiers integrated into the Denon 3700 are not stable at less than 4 ohms on the ASR test

Last edited:

patoulol

Forum Donor
One other benefit of these amps is attenuators on every channel. That can help preserve digital headroom in a multichannel system and lower noise floor from upstream components.
are you talking about the crown? I don't understand, does that mean if a amp channel lacks power it recovers the power of another amp channel?

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
are you talking about the crown? I don't understand, does that mean if an amp channel lacks power it recovers the power of another amp channel?
Look at the picture on the OP. There are level controls for each channel. So you can attenuate in analog from the amp instead of digitally upstream. That can reduce real world noise. But no power sharing to my knowledge.

dlaloum

Major Contributor
Look at the picture on the OP. There are level controls for each channel. So you can attenuate in analog from the amp instead of digitally upstream. That can reduce real world noise. But no power sharing to my knowledge.
Well, sort of, I am pretty sure they share a switch mode power supply - so there is a constraint at the PSU level, which will therefore imply the possibility of reaching constraints before all channels are maxed out ... ie: power sharing...

On the other hand I am pretty sure that Crown rates their version in "all channels driven terms" so it may be that the PSU is not a constraint.

patoulol

Forum Donor

So here's what I chose:

Yamaha P5000S on my L + R ( so I'm sure that at 2 ohms there is enough power)
and

CT8150 / CT4150 on C and other surround speakers

LR crossover 60hz and C 80hz crossover

Do you think it's okay if L C R don't have the same power amplifier? @dlaloum

Attachments

• IMG_3606.jpg
    IMG_3606.jpg
    158.3 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:

dlaloum

Major Contributor

So here's what I chose:

Yamaha P5000S on my L + R ( so I'm sure that at 2 ohms there is enough power)
and

CT8150 / CT4150 on C and other surround speakers

LR crossover 60hz and C 80hz crossover

Do you think it's okay if L C R don't have the same power amplifier? @dlaloum
I've done something very similar myself, except my primary amp is the Crown XLS2500 - and for the other speakers I use the internal amps of the AVR... a lowly Integra DRX3.4, with theoretical 100W@8ohm stereo - it was unhappy driving my mains (even in just stereo) - the Crown sorted that out nicely, and with that load lifted, it proved capable of handling the rest of my 5.1.4 setup quite nicely.

So no - you don't need identical amps, and that seems a very reasonable solution to me!!

patoulol

Forum Donor
Thank you because my passionate friends make fun of me because I don't have the same amps... They say I suck :facepalm::eek:

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Thank you because my passionate friends make fun of me because I don't have the same amps... They say I suck :facepalm::eek:
I'd say to them: right back at ya ;) Do they have the same speakers for L, R, and C? The speaker makes orders of magnitude more of a difference than any decent amps would ever.

Top Bottom