• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Legal fund for Reviewers/Erin?

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Erin would have to spend a lot of money on lawyers
Not worth it. Revenge through lawyers is a hobby for the rich.

Real revenge would be to measure more of his stuff in an objective and fair fashion.
UJEOv9R.jpeg

Who remembers the old man with the "electricity washing machines"? He didn't learn either.
Amir continued measurements and eventually he went silent.

Maybe that's the way to send counter threads, "leave me alone or i will measure more of your wares"

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
All this over a 250 Hz resonance
BTW, it occurred to me that this resonance could just be a loose cable or screw or something else that is entirely benign.
1Vv.gif

tomtoo

Major Contributor
Right, the spinorama is a model based on theory to interpret the raw data (or convert data to information). This is subjective to the extent it not does not include all dimensions that affect sound quality, such as SPL capability and distortion.

The spinorama is nothing else than measuering the spl at many points at many frequences.

No model, no theory, nothing subjective.

Nobody said its something else....than highly informative data that can be usefull for people that understand the usefullness of that data.

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
BTW, it occurred to me that this resonance could just be a loose cable or screw or something else that is entirely benign.
View attachment 364009
The fact that EA can't just look at Erin's review and quickly conclude it doesn't show his product in a bad light is bizarre. A tiny 250hz resonance, (by all accounts inaudible) is it really even worth an email, let alone a lawsuit?

For him to have this much of a problem with it, he'd have to be functionally illiterate when it comes to audio measurements, or just not have any of his own to reference, but according to his own postings, neither is true. On the other hand, reading between the lines of everything we've seen so far, IMO either or both could be true.

Last edited:

Bruce Morgen

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
In his second review, Erin (IMO correctly) surmised that the resonance was the result of inadequate bracing of the top of the enclosure by simply turning the speaker upside down and remeasuring. Having the full weight of the speaker pressing down on that side of the enclosure apparently stabilized it and eliminated that pesky resonance.

JohnBooty

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
According to what Erin posted,
I've measured *both speakers with *two different measurement systems*: Klippel and Dayton DATS. All had the same results: a 250Hz resonance.
I wouldn't expect a "loose screw/cable" sort of issue to show up in precisely the same way in both the left and the right speaker. Then again... maybe! I would assume the speakers were made at the same time. So, if somebody forgot to tie down a cable or something, maybe they did repeat the same error.

God, this whole thing is so dumb. Even Erin's original measurements and subjective opinion didn't point to the resonance being an actually audible problem. And it's not like Tekons are sold as ultra accurate studio monitors.

edit: right and as @Bruce Morgen pointed out, inverting the speaker prevented the issue. I guess theoretically it could be something loose inside the enclosure that doesn't vibrate when inverted but yeah I think everybody's money is on cabinet resonance

Mnyb

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Maybe Erin should counter-sue Eric Alexander for defamation and causing emotional distress/damage, and also sue Tekton for selling misleading products?
Also to be fair Tekton advertising is not any more misleading than any other speaker company that promises the world for you if buy thier speakers.

You could then equally well sue B&W that have an deliberate inaccurate response to sound impressive ( showroom sound ) that they claim is very HiFi and correct.

The tweeter array is a questionable feature they ( Tekton ) over sell with bogus arguments , you might just get a good midrange and be done . But other brands have silver binding post they promote or special hifi capacitors in the xover.

Design process migth be a bit shoddy but that not unheard of from others .

Speakers that typical ASR members migth not buy , but might interest others. Some like oddball designs , the speaker market has quite a selection of those .

The real problem is EA himself and has been in the whole process.

He also went ballistic ( Tektonic ? ) over Amir’s EQ adjustsment ? That’s a tool that’s now readily available to almost everyone but was not in the past ! Every speaker migth take advantage of this ! Due to the nature of especially high sensitivity speakers EA could embrace this and suggest adjustments of his own to each model if he had any real measurement ?

Wonder if EA knows that some AVR EQ everything automatically :) and advice customers for a more manual approach could be a marketing tool.

Other brands does that indirectly by actually publishing measurements , you can see for yourself :)

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
"Never wrestle with a pig. You just get dirty, and the pig likes it."

Jim
I had several meat pigs. The only good thing about the pigs was the resulting ham and bacon. I hate those things. They are to be avoided at all times because they cannot be trusted unless I guess if they are those domesticated pot belly pigs. As far as Eric is concerned I think he should be avoided and not carry on a relationship with him. He apparently can't be relied upon to do the right stuff, he is unpredictable and goes too far! :facepalm:

Thomas Lutro

Forum Donor
I just noticed a good/not so good thing. There are scambots on Erins youtube now. This probably means a significant increase in activity and views on his channel. Otherwise, they'd probably not bother.

:cool:

Newman

Major Contributor
"If a measurement is inaccurate I discern it in an instant". Like he instantly discerned the 250 Hz impedance bump was due to the missing feet. It wasn't.

Newman

Major Contributor
Last edited:

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I had several meat pigs. The only good thing about the pigs was the resulting ham and bacon. I hate those things. They are to be avoided at all times because they cannot be trusted unless I guess if they are those domesticated pot belly pigs.
Hey, don't talk bad about pigs, they are some of the most intelligent animals and have nothing mean inside them but on the other hand provide us with so many benefits and pleasure, something that cannot be said about many humans. ;)

Tell

Also to be fair Tekton advertising is not any more misleading than any other speaker company that promises the world for you if buy thier speakers.
I've been saying for years that what many high end audio companies does is illegal. I know I'm probably preaching for the choir here, but best example to me is Paul McGowan, what he is doing with his daily videos ranges from sometimes correct to often extremely misleading in an (to some people) very obvious way of trying to sell his extremely overpriced stuff that some of it ranges from good while other is just pure snake oil. That man is disgusting!

Last edited:

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I've only just seen the updated review both written & Youtube from Erin (I'm late to the party)!
I think he handled that well, I reckon he can & already has drawn a line under it, saga is over! Hopefully Tekton can learn something from this going forwards both in how to sanely communicate & deal with reviewers, as well as (if they want) speaker design - hopefully they take it constructively on both fronts. (It wasn't a bad speaker really, but most speakers can be improved in some ways, particularly when good measurements are taken.)

Last edited:

delta76

Major Contributor
I've only just seen the updated review both written & Youtube from Erin (I'm late to the party)!
I think he handled that well, I reckon he can & already has drawn a line under it, saga is over! Hopefully Tekton can learn something from this going forwards both in how to sanely communicate & deal with reviewers, as well as (if they want) speaker design - hopefully they take it constructively on both fronts. (It wasn't a bad speaker really, but most speakers can be improved in some ways, particularly when good measurements are taken.)
yeah we all hope for that, but if I learn anything from people, old habits die hard. Eric has shown himself to be arrogance, thin skinned and full of ego. He is passionate about his speakers, no denying that, but also thinks a bit too much of himself.
We can't rely on people being nice and decent, we need something that has stronger binding power to protect freedom of speech.

Top Bottom