• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Legal fund for Reviewers/Erin?

welwynnick

Forum Donor
I used to be the retained amplifier reviewer for AVForums, and I got a load of grief for not saying nice things about one particular product from a well known manufacturer.

I have a very strong conviction about transparency and trust, but in the end it's not worth the extreme grief.

Nick

JRG

Apart from everything else, the guy from Tekton has made the worst possible decision to defend his business. From a marketing standpoint, it’s a devastating move that will probably sink his company. People don’t want to buy products from someone they dislike.
And this man has managed to alienate pretty much the entire community—a situation he can't undo now. I can’t imagine how he ever thought it was a good idea. Where has he been for the last 25 years? There are tons of examples that say, 'Dude, don’t do it because the cure will be worse than the disease'... It’s like the Streisand Effect.

Even if he were right (which he isn’t), it’s never a good idea to try to defend oneself in that way because the audience perceives it as an attack on the content creator, who, needless to say, will be seen as the victim, not the villain. I can’t understand who advised this man, but it’s the worst decision he has ever made. Even if he were to win a hypothetical lawsuit, his company has created a burden of animosity that it won’t be able to shake off in any way, not even with tons of marketing money.

En español se dice... "salir de Guatemala para entrar en Guatepeor" jajaja.

Dialectic

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I used to be the retained amplifier reviewer for AVForums, and I got a load of grief for not saying nice things about one particular product from a well known manufacturer.

I have a very strong conviction about transparency and trust, but in the end it's not worth the extreme grief.

Nick
Now you have to tell us which manufacturer :)

holbob

Nick

Off topic but what do you think of the current hifi main reviewer on AV Forums? Comes across as a what hi-fi wannabe. Shame as their tv reviews have always been technical excellence.

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Wondering if all this unwarranted threatening and saber rattling by Teckton could met with combined effort by ASR, EAC, AH and others with cease and desist request filing with a Fed or State court?

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor
We might be thinking it. But thinking to oneself and posting it are two entirely different things. If you make another post like the previous post expect to be banned and posting privileges revoked.

Keep these posts clean and professional or don’t post. We have let this thread go unmoderated for the most part but we have limits. Please don’t push us into a corner. ;)
Quoting myself as a second reminder to keep this conversation respectful and professional. No personal insults will be permitted.

Thank you for your cooperation and understanding. ;)

CedarX

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
From a marketing standpoint, it’s a devastating move that will probably sink his company. People don’t want to buy products from someone they dislike.
And this man has managed to alienate pretty much the entire community—a situation he can't undo now.
I’m not so sure about that…. You’re probably correct for this community, but the buyers interested in Tekton high end speakers don’t care at all about ASR or Erin Audio reviews & comments. [EDIT: no data to support the statement]
We all hope Mr. Alexander is going to invest in serious measuring equipment, listen to comments & critics, work hard, and come up with a new range of great speakers
But he could just as well discontinue his range of low end speakers and focus instead on the super high end & custom business—business as usual…

Last edited:

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
the buyers interested in Tekton high end speakers don’t care at all about ASR or Erin Audio reviews
I don't think that's true at all.

welwynnick

Forum Donor
Now you have to tell us which manufacturer :)
It was this review of the Onkyo TX-SR608 that tipped me over the edge. My experience with receivers at that point was mixed to say the least, and I thought this one was the worst I had heard. I tried hard to be impartial, and find positive things to say about it. I actually managed to dig up an old Sony receiver for comparison that was even worse, so I could put some positive spin on it. I still got raked over the coals, like the importer thought it was my duty to provide him with another promotional channel. My view was that at that point I had generated some trust within the community that I would tell them what they wanted to hear, rather than what the advertisers wanted to hear. Otherwise what's the point of reviews. I hope I came across as saying that it was compromised, without being too rude.

All the current reviews get high scores, and are "recommended" or "top pick" or whatever, and people are starting to push back and complain about the value of the review.

Nick

Salt

Forum Donor
It was this review of the Onkyo TX-SR608 that tipped me over the edge. My experience with receivers at that point was mixed to say the least, and I thought this one was the worst I had heard. I tried hard to be impartial, and find positive things to say about it. I actually managed to dig up an old Sony receiver for comparison that was even worse, so I could put some positive spin on it. I still got raked over the coals, like the importer thought it was my duty to provide him with another promotional channel. My view was that at that point I had generated some trust within the community that I would tell them what they wanted to hear, rather than what the advertisers wanted to hear. Otherwise what's the point of reviews. I hope I came across as saying that it was compromised, without being too rude.

All the current reviews get high scores, and are "recommended" or "top pick" or whatever, and people are starting to push back and complain about the value of the review.

Nick
Thanks for the revealing, courageous.

Morpheus

Forum Donor
68 pages is waaay too much to deal with right now..
Can someone tell me where we are at on this subject, and how I can contribute monetarily, as I have o relevant skill to offer?

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
68 pages is waaay too much to deal with right now..
Can someone tell me where we are at on this subject, and how I can contribute monetarily, as I have o relevant skill to offer?
No need to donate anymore. An attorney member kindly helped Erin to get through this and he has post an updated review, showing that issues that Eric Alexander of Tekton had brought up were immaterial. He also showed threatening emails he had received from Eric telling him to delete his review or else.

We are discussing in the parallel thread if we need to have a formal organization to help with these matters in the future.

Salt

Forum Donor
So close up here and swap to parallel thread, not?

Salt

Forum Donor
This thread is not about some technical but legal stuff, and the other thread is just about that.
We all have only one life to live and only one second at time to follow ....

DMill

Forum Donor
At page 69, I will say they have an email, if it has not already been said. You certainly can let them know your thoughts.

Lsc

This will all blow over soon. One rogue manufacturer isn’t going to start copycat litigations, in fact it’s a good lesson to not be so rash. I was just at Axpona yesterday. It’s a tough world being a manufacturer and break through. No one wants bad press.

A foundation to protect hobby reviewers seems like an overreaction but what do I know?

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Top Bottom