• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Legal fund for Reviewers/Erin?

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I have always counseled clients to avoid filing defamation lawsuit. Stirs up too much trouble.
Don't ask me how I know this but Eric Alexandar's lawyer has advised him of the same. Yet he continues.....

Multicore

Major Contributor
If this thread stays longer open tekton cut in there finger much worse they ever could imagine. The real damage just starts.
Does it, though?

Isn't it clear enough that the Tekton value proposition is more to do with size, weight and number of drivers than conforming to psychoacoustic preference targets? I just needed to watch a couple of Tekton's own YouTube bragging videos years ago to catch that. Maybe it's just me but it seems obvious that the products represent a kind of heavyweight muscle design aesthetic that stands almost in confrontation to the finesse in engineering, acoustics and validation that's more typically appreciated at ASR. So I can well imagine some people being attracted to Tekton's really unique products and not caring what we think. And maybe, Idk, they are also attracted to a combative personal style too, see Amir's post exactly one up ^.

OCA

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Let me make this clear one more time: while I appreciate the sentiments, I do not need any monetary help from the membership myself. I have the knowledge, wherewithal, and resources to defend myself should it come to that. As I noted, I worry that Erin is not so situated and is a) stressed over the cost of the initial defense and b) may cave, pull the review, and from now on, be cagey to say anything negative about a product even if it is justified. Worst case situation is that he stops reviewing products altogether out of this fear! To be sure, if he is in the wrong, he will face the consequences but he deserves a level playing field and us as consumers, defending the benefits we get out of his work.

So to cut to the chase, and not deal with such commentary, someone please convey this to Erin. I will fund $10,000 for initial defense of Erin. The money is immediately available. He should select an attorney and have him/her send the bills to me. I can be reached int he Contact Us link at the bottom of each page of ASR and will sign the engagement letter with said law firm so we can move on this.
I would like to chip in for Erin, too. I tried to find out how but the thread is 16 pages long already. Can someone kindly write or pm me the account details please? Thanks.

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor
Wouldn't the court then order the one that sued to pay her legal costs?
Each State has its own rules. In Florida if you are sued and you win your defense. You are permitted to sue for all legal costs to mount your defense. Other states may not allow this. All depends on the State the suit is filed in.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I would like to chip in for Erin, too. I tried to find out how but the thread is 16 pages long already. Can someone kindly write or pm me the account details please? Thanks.
The donation process has not been made yet. :D

Reactions: OCA

tomtoo

Major Contributor
Does it, though?

Isn't it clear enough that the Tekton value proposition is more to do with size, weight and number of drivers than conforming to psychoacoustic preference targets? I just needed to watch a couple of Tekton's own YouTube bragging videos years ago to catch that. Maybe it's just me but it seems obvious that the products represent a kind of heavyweight muscle design aesthetic that stands almost in confrontation to the finesse in engineering, acoustics and validation that's more typically appreciated at ASR. So I can well imagine some people being attracted to Tekton's really unique products and not caring what we think.

Its not about if this speakers are good or bad. Its about the way a company behaves. This influences my buy decision a lot.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Don't ask me how I know this but Eric Alexandar's lawyer has advised him of the same. Yet he continues.....
OK, so confirmed, he doesn't need a legal fund, he needs a sack. The attorney is rightfully concerned about sanctions for a frivolous filing. There really seems to be no actual legal peril.

_thelaughingman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I smell greed, and that speaks volumes about Tekton.

_thelaughingman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I smell a awkward and annoying personality disorder and money too. :facepalm:
Are we sure we want to say things about him? Should we quake in our boots because he'll sue us for slander and defamation?:p

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor
I don’t have deep pockets and I live on a limited pension. It’s why I volunteer my time more than my money. Your gesture of generosity and compassion under the circumstances is inspirational and I will pledge $500 USD to add to the kitty. This will hurt but in a good way :cool:

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I don’t have deep pockets and I live on a limited pension. It’s why I volunteer my time more than my money. Your gesture of generosity and compassion under the circumstances is inspirational and I will pledge $500 USD to add to the kitty. This will hurt but in a good way :cool:
I am on a fixed retirement income too but I will loot the kitty and toss in a hundred+ each month for multiple months till this is over. The principle matters here...

Induna

Some people genuinely ARE their own worst enemies and will not stop until they have destroyed others or themselves. If they are very very lucky the may "hit bottom" before that point but that is beyond our control. It is very gratifying to see this community stand up so that Erin will not be another casualty of Mr. Alexander's shameful bullying. In my opinion of course. ;)

Thank you @amirm for such a concrete demonstration of your support! If it comes to it I will contribute as well.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
So I can well imagine some people being attracted to Tekton's really unique products and not caring what we think.
That's fine, there are tons of products in the Hi-Fi industry that could be said of.
You can either strive for SOTA reproduction performance or play with the toys of your choice.
They're the losers IMHO.

douede

Tekton thinks the threat of lawsuit is the right course of action.

The problem is that the community (on Erin’s facebook, YouTube channel and Patreon) and even here on ASR, supports Erin.

Which means that Tekton is doing reputation damage to themselves at this point.

It’s likely that many people will never buy any Tekton products as a result of this development.
I will never buy any Tekton products as a result of this development...
And i think that anyone which is aware should never buy...

testp

I will never buy any Tekton products as a result of this development...
And i think that anyone which is aware should never buy...
good point, there could be a small chance getting sued as well :confused:

Last edited:

Multicore

Major Contributor
Its not about if this speakers are good or bad. Its about the way a company behaves. This influences my buy decision a lot.
I know and agree.

But what's the probability that you would have bought Tekton prior to this legal fiasco? We have to discount your choice's effect on Tekton's sales by that probability.

For example, it makes zero difference to me because I had already made my judgements about the products and the owner years ago. There was zero a priori chance I would buy them so I cannot boycott the brand.

Only those potentially in Tekton's market count. My question is about them. Maybe people attracted to Eric and his heavyweight, extravagantly muscular speakers aren't upset about his behavior in this matter.

I don't know. But I don't think it's safe to project my own distaste onto those with non-zero a priori interest in Tekton.

AudioJester

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
So, being totally naive about legal matters.

But, does the owner who sent the speakers for review have a case that they are not delivering what was advertised/claimed by the manufacturer?

Do all owners of said spraker have the same issue?

Top Bottom