• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Legal fund for Reviewers/Erin?

CleanSound

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I take great pleasure in fighting back against someone like Eric Alexander. And I wouldn't miss out on opportunities to do so. So count me in on donating to a legal defense fund for Erin.

But first we should wait for Erin to 100% confirm if a legal proceeding has indeed taken place as I am still suspecting that Eric Alexander is just barking right now.

I also would like to see a counter lawsuit by either Amir or Erin against Eric Alexander. Why? Because he will then think twice on inflicting harm to others in the future.

Barry_Sound

I dont know all the details but from a marketing perspective alone, wouldn't it be infinitely wiser to approach the Youtuber in a friendly manner instead of threatening legal action? All this is a disaster for Tekton and will certainly rank high in any Google searches.

I didnt watch Erins review. Did he say the speakers were terrible or what?

Golf

But first we should wait for Erin to 100% confirm if a legal proceeding has indeed taken place as I am still suspecting that Eric Alexander is just barking right now.

Uhm ... You don’t seem to think that Erin is the good guy here and that he therefore deserves big, big funding from us whatsoever. No?

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Wow just getting here. I will support Erin or Amir with some $ if needed but I think both should have general disclaimer to the affect:

That all measurements, setup and ancillary devices used in testing are disclosed with an attempt to reveal measured data in a scientific fact based presentation and comparison to the similar audio devices in our database. Any subjective comments are those of the reviewer and their experience in testing and listening to tested audio devices. We welcome comments from the manufacturer and website members and will make every attempt to disclose and rectify all omissions or unrecommend use of these products. Not every review will be positive.
(Not a lawyer)

Duke

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
I'm in. Thank you @amirm for quickly and decisively taking the lead in this.

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
There's resources for anti-SLAPP laws on the books, just depends on the state your located in.
Erin is domiciled in Alabama, whose legislature …isn’t exactly in the lead when it comes to passing legislation intended to protect actually alive humans. There are several instances of bad actors (notably that piece of work roy moore, and multiple groups who have sued the Southern Poverty Law Center for daring to point out anti-Muslim bigotry as a bad thing) filing defamation lawsuits IMO intended to chill speech in Alabama.

Endibol

Forum Donor
Agree-have Erin send the aformentioned speaker (with feet?) to @amirm . The measurements will most likely be similar if not identical and let Tekton sue @amirm . :p
I am not so sure. Erin says on his website that he doesn’t use Klippel anymore since 2015, but Dayton gear:
Quote:Before about 2015 I was using Klippel measurement gear. Post-2015 I switched to a simpler setup using the Dayton OmniMic and Dayton DATS because I didn’t have the time to do the full scale analysis with the Klippel product any longer.
EDIT: in his latest speaker reviews Erin does mention Klippel.. Now I am confused…

Last edited:

beagleman

Major Contributor
Dumb question but what is the exact purpose of pulling both speaker models from production?
I think I read that EACH speaker is produced when ordered from a customer, so not even sure "How" they are pulled from production, looks like removed from website, but in the end, more obviously a call "For attention", and "look at ME!"

muslhead

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
One of the easiest ways to support Erin, regardless of where this goes, is to vote with your pocketbook
I doubt Tekton would be getting much traction from ASR members who are in the market for speakers .... but just in case, those that are looking at their speakers as value (who else gives you 47 tweeters for each woofer included in a speaker?), please reconsider and keep Erin in mind

tomtoo

Major Contributor
All we need to end this nonsense is for another independent reviewer to conduct a separate review of these speakers. If the results are the same then that would essentially be the end of this story. The results Erin arrived should be easily reproduced thus proving that the test results are consistent and factual. This sounds much cheaper than hiring and paying Lawyers. JMHO. ;)

Yep @Amir should measure them. Not sure but hard to imagine that this small holes should make a real big difference. Thats the problem with measurements. If you say they look like sh+t or sound like sh+t its just your opinion,your tast and thats free but if a manufacturer says you measured wrong problems can start.

Last edited:
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Here’s my contribution to this »General Audio Discussion«:

I hardly fund anything that was brought to my attention by someone who may be biased by the funding purpose itself.
Let me make this clear one more time: while I appreciate the sentiments, I do not need any monetary help from the membership myself. I have the knowledge, wherewithal, and resources to defend myself should it come to that. As I noted, I worry that Erin is not so situated and is a) stressed over the cost of the initial defense and b) may cave, pull the review, and from now on, be cagey to say anything negative about a product even if it is justified. Worst case situation is that he stops reviewing products altogether out of this fear! To be sure, if he is in the wrong, he will face the consequences but he deserves a level playing field and us as consumers, defending the benefits we get out of his work.

So to cut to the chase, and not deal with such commentary, someone please convey this to Erin. I will fund $10,000 for initial defense of Erin. The money is immediately available. He should select an attorney and have him/her send the bills to me. I can be reached int he Contact Us link at the bottom of each page of ASR and will sign the engagement letter with said law firm so we can move on this.

CleanSound

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Uhm ... You don’t seem to think that Erin is the good guy here and that he therefore deserves big, big funding from us whatsoever. No?
I encourage you to do a search of all the comments I ever made on ASR with regards to Erin first before your dumb ass make another, uninformed and uneducated smart ass comment like this.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I am not so sure. Erin says on his website that he doesn’t use Klippel anymore since 2015, but Dayton gear:
That must refer to his old work of measuring DIY speakers and drivers. He actually went back and bought the klippel fixture. Then decided to move from driver testing to speaker testing and bought the Klippel NFS.

ampguy

Im conflicted. The speakers may measure poorly, like the mini lores, but if incites a bunch of folks who have never heard them to avoid them, not sure that’s a great thing. I own and enjoy the mini lores, as well as a couple of Smsl a300s that Amir’s copy measured poorly, many of us here enjoy the a300. Since Amir rarely listens to the components, I’m not sure I can in good faith support the specs only buying and recommending scheme

middlemarch

Forum Donor
I will happily add another $1000 on top of Amir's offer to support Erin. This is a clear case of intimidation by threat. We as a community cannot tolerate this kind of thing.

Multicore

Major Contributor
Let me make this clear one more time: while I appreciate the sentiments, I do not need any monetary help from the membership myself. I have the knowledge, wherewithal, and resources to defend myself should it come to that. As I noted, I worry that Erin is not so situated and is a) stressed over the cost of the initial defense and b) may cave, pull the review, and from now on, be cagey to say anything negative about a product even if it is justified. Worst case situation is that he stops reviewing products altogether out of this fear! To be sure, if he is in the wrong, he will face the consequences but he deserves a level playing field and us as consumers, defending the benefits we get out of his work.

So to cut to the chase, and not deal with such commentary, someone please convey this to Erin. I will fund $10,000 for initial defense of Erin. The money is immediately available. He should select an attorney and have him/her send the bills to me. I can be reached int he Contact Us link at the bottom of each page of ASR and will sign the engagement letter with said law firm so we can move on this.
This congruence of spatial location of money and mouth receives a high mean opinion score, in ASR terms. In others: Huzzah!

Last edited:

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I will happily add another $1000 on top of Amir's offer to support Erin. This is a clear case of intimidation by threat. We as a community cannot tolerate this kind of thing.
I'm in as well.

CleanSound

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It is simpler than that. Company owner post under Erin's youtube video that their measurements is different than Erin's. I asked Eric to post his measurements. He has not. If he was bluffing and he a) doesn't have proper measurements or b) they are not different than Erin's, then there is nothing more Erin needs to do.
I saw he posted somewhere stating that he needs to go ask Jay Lee, the YouTube reviewer who also review this speaker that Erin did, to get the NRC measurements. That implies that he does not have measurements of his own and that he does not have any others from other parties at hand.

What this idiot doesn't realize is that Jay Lee is a run of the mill YouTuber, he does not send any speakers he review to the NRC for measurement. Eric Alexander is confused because Jay Lee sometimes do a "second take" review for Soundstage, who does get NRC measurements. And these Tekton's, I don't believe are a "second take" review for Soundstage, hence there are not NRC measurements.

So what do we know here from this? Eric Alexander has never, ever measured his speakers!!!!!! Not even gated, nor outdoor quasi anechoic measurements!!!

Top Bottom