• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Legal fund for Reviewers/Erin?

ta240

Major Contributor
A lesson I learned long ago. People like to believe they've stumbled on some great new audio discovery so they latch on to these brands and their creators and it forms into a type of cult. In audio, for every one fringe brand that has some merit there's fifty that are just passing through, and will eventually be forgotten. I've seen it so many times.
It isn't just audio. Conspiracies, cults and scams tend to build based on "I know something you don't know" or "I know someone that knows things most people don't know". I think it is hardwired human nature to not only want to belong to a group, but belong to one that has an edge on everyone else.
And, no offence to all the charismatic people here but scientists don't tend to be as personable as salespeople.

Emlin

Addicted to Fun and Learning
It isn't just audio. Conspiracies, cults and scams tend to build based on "I know something you don't know" or "I know someone that knows things most people don't know". I think it is hardwired human nature to not only want to belong to a group, but belong to one that has an edge on everyone else.
And, no offence to all the charismatic people here but scientists don't tend to be as personable as salespeople.
Thanks for sharing your personal biases with us.

Power Pop 23

Forum Donor
I can watch the review here but not on Youtube directly.

Got to say I'd like to know what the hoo-ha and maker's criticism is about as it's not at all a bad review as stated days ago.
I was able to watch the video before it went private again. The review doesn't call the loudspeaker 'bad'. I now think even less favorably of Mr. Eric Alexander.

ta240

Major Contributor
Thanks for sharing your personal biases with us.
That is the current catchphrase for this:
1712619450016.png

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My girlfriend thinks I'm quite charming.
Objection - surviorship bias! ;)
A bunch of you are famous now. @CleanSound

The Youtube comments are pretty well in line with the threads here:

The MOAB is by far one of this best speakers I've ever heard. Just a weird dude who doesn't act professionally. He'd probably have a much bigger business if he hired a PR/Marketing team and just stayed out of it.
Pretty much in a nutshell.

Any decent marketer will tell you a "bad" review like this is an opportunity to improve your perception among the public. Show a little class, be gracious, and respond to the review by restating the key USPs of your brand, your philosophies on design, and encouraging people to hear it for themselves. That's about as good as you can do in these situations.

If there's a real problem, respond to it in good faith and make yourself seem earnest, trustworthy and hardworking. If there's just a difference of opinion, take the opportunity to make your opinions seem wise.

Generally it's a better option than "publicly threaten someone who is popular with your customer base".

But we'll see how it works out for them.

Last edited:

pablolie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Don't all people that group together round a conspiracy theory think that? It's an easy observation these days.
That's called a "non sequitur". It has zero connection to the paragraph you wrote above. And generalizations never ever work, there are more sleazy salespeople than non-personable scientists, IMO, but I never generalize.

Gwreck

Anyway, I was actually suprised by the review and it seemed overall positive. That may because I expected the speakers to be complete garbage when measured.

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Anyway, I was actually suprised by the review and it seemed overall positive. That may because I expected the speakers to be complete garbage when measured.
Honestly, using a bunch of tweeters as a mid and to gain flexibility with regard to the crossover point is interesting and IMO not crazy at a basic level.

The crazy idea this man has is trying to threaten his way to a good reputation.

CleanSound

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Honestly, using a bunch of tweeters as a mid and to gain flexibility with regard to the crossover point is interesting and IMO not crazy at a basic level.

The crazy idea this man has is trying to threaten his way to a good reputation.
If you read his Peter Pan patents, the reason why he have that design is to match moving mass of instruments. The explanation is the utmost ridiculous pseudoscience BS.

Monitor audio does something similar for their hyphen but their reason is to create a point source without IMD.

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If you read his Peter Pan patents, the reason why he have that design is to match moving mass of instruments. The explanation is the utmost ridiculous pseudoscience BS.

Monitor audio does something similar for their hyphen but their reason is to create a point source without IMD.
I started reading the patent and I agree, it didn't really make sense except as marketing material to subjectivist audiophools. It also seemed like it was trying to patent the idea of low moving mass, which... okay, good luck.

However, the basic idea of putting a bunch of tweeters together to keep THD low at low frequencies is kind of interesting if you ignore the patent.

CleanSound

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
However, the basic idea of putting a bunch of tweeters together to keep THD low at low frequencies is kind of interesting if you ignore the patent.
Yes, but his Peter Pan patent mentioned nothing about IMD, at least the one patent that I looked through.

Top Bottom