• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

LEAF Dac Dual 9038Q2M VS Gustard X16 ! Pictures inside )

JoeSVK

@Veri I will definitely not use it. I just wrote what is in the package. But RC is a nice addition. I will pair it with a SMSL SP200 and test it with Hifiman Sundaras. Also had an idea to record it with my phone with my dad's speakers from a distance.

I want to replace the capacitors in the SP200 on the XLR input. But I want to hear it before with the stock caps.

Last edited:

daggernc

Forum Donor
My finger accidentally hit the left mouse key, so looks like I bought one of these :) I still have to see if this Sunfire Cinema Grand amp I have with XLR inputs works! If this DAC works/sounds good, then good. If not, then not a lot of money lost and then I'll follow others and try my hand on upgrading it.

JoeSVK

I've got some XLR interconnects, so I can test the RCA vs XLR output from the DAC :)

JoeSVK

Hi, I have installed the XMOS drivers just to test it out in work, but the foobar gives me an error: Unrecoverable playback error: Unsupported stream format: 96000 Hz / 24-bit / 2 channels

Does anybody know how to fix it? @jaatre @daniboun ?

EDIT: ok, so the problem was the WASAPI in Foobar first, after powering it down and back on it works, but the Windows setting is showing only 24/192 with the installed XMOS driver, 24/384 without the updated driver. no 32Bit setting in windows available?

Last edited:

JoeSVK

anybody knows how to setup Foobar to native DSD output for DSD256? can't figure it out :facepalm: DSD128 is playing but DSD256 gets an error, using USB input.

Last edited:

JoeSVK

Ok, so after a week, sorting out the stuff with playback I am here with a quick review.

The DAC out from the box sounds very nice, I can really compare it only to my Asus Xonar Essence STX with swapped op amps (49990 in the I/V and 1612 for the RCA), connecting to SMSL SP200. First thoughts were, that it is as close to that sound as it gets, switching the output in Foobar. The main difference came yesterday, when I replaced the I/V in the Leaf for 1612's. Man it has some umpf to it. The bass has some nice body, the slam is more powerful and all around the bass has slightly more detail and the speed of the bass is nice. Midrange has some nice detail, in fact I was maybe fooling myself when listening to tracks and hearing something, that maybe wasn't there or did not notice it with the Asus card. And this is also with the treble. More detail, super fast. Soundstage did not change as much as I thought it would change.

If anybody is buying this little DAC then this should be the first thing to do! Listen to it for a week and then replace the I/V for 1612 and you will hear a difference. It is not laid back sounding, has much more detail then the stock op amp configuration, for somebody maybe too much.

Also connecting it via USB you are not able to play DSD256 as described, also Windows is showing only 24/192 with the driver installed.

Last edited:

daggernc

Forum Donor
Thanks JoeSVK for the mini-review and good to hear you are liking it. Mine should arrive in a few more days...

May I ask the favor as I have never rolled any opamps before, could you provide me with a mini How-To guild with any pictures? You can PM me with it as an option? Much appreciated!

jaatre

Ok, so after a week, sorting out the stuff with playback I am here with a quick review.

The DAC out from the box sounds very nice, I can really compare it only to my Asus Xonar Essence STX with swapped op amps (49990 in the I/V and 1612 for the RCA), connecting to SMSL SP200. First thoughts were, that it is as close to that sound as it gets, switching the output in Foobar. The main difference came yesterday, when I replaced the I/V in the Leaf for 1612's. Man it has some umpf to it. The bass has some nice body, the slam is more powerful and all around the bass has slightly more detail and the speed of the bass is nice. Midrange has some nice detail, in fact I was maybe fooling myself when listening to tracks and hearing something, that maybe wasn't there or did not notice it with the Asus card. And this is also with the treble. More detail, super fast. Soundstage did not change as much as I thought it would change.

If anybody is buying this little DAC then this should be the first thing to do! Listen to it for a week and then replace the I/V for 1612 and you will hear a difference. It is not laid back sounding, has much more detail then the stock op amp configuration, for somebody maybe too much.

Also connecting it via USB you are not able to play DSD256 as described, also Windows is showing only 24/192 with the driver installed.
Congratulations @JoeSVK. Glad you are enjoying it.
Since I had not modified anything yet, maybe I should try with the 1612 Opamps first.

daggernc

Forum Donor
Here's a AliExpress horror story for everyone: Received email saying my LeafAudio DAC has been delivered yesterday!! Hmm, nothing on my porch, so went to my mailbox and there is a small plastic shipping bag that looks like it is one of those international mailers. I open it up and there is a bubble wrap with a single AA battery!? I check the tracking number on the package, and yes, this is the tracking number for my DAC...WTF??

So I login to AliExpress and file a claim and send a picture of the plastic bag/shipping label+bubble wrap + 10cent AA battery. AliExpress sends my claim to the seller ( XFJ21 Store ), and I get a message from the vendor saying "the leafaudio dac is not in stock now". I reply to XFJ21 saying why did you send me a battery and not notify me and give me a full refund....no reply back from XFJ21. AliExpress then responds to my claim saying I didn't provide the evidence showing the full contents of the package nor the original shipping label? What? I took a picture of everything I got and uploaded it to the case file? But, on close examination, the outside shipping label/tracking number is actually stuck over another label underneath. Spent some time carefully trying to remove the outer label to expose another original China label underneath. Just uploaded a picture of that. This appears to be a scam by the vendor that they can show they actually did ship "something" and it was "delivered" and thus their stats look good and the customer must be lying...

So - warning - never buy anything from XFJ21 Store, and it looks like AliExpress seems more biased towards their vendors than to customers...

JoeSVK

Here's a AliExpress horror story for everyone: Received email saying my LeafAudio DAC has been delivered yesterday!! Hmm, nothing on my porch, so went to my mailbox and there is a small plastic shipping bag that looks like it is one of those international mailers. I open it up and there is a bubble wrap with a single AA battery!? I check the tracking number on the package, and yes, this is the tracking number for my DAC...WTF??

So I login to AliExpress and file a claim and send a picture of the plastic bag/shipping label+bubble wrap + 10cent AA battery. AliExpress sends my claim to the seller ( XFJ21 Store ), and I get a message from the vendor saying "the leafaudio dac is not in stock now". I reply to XFJ21 saying why did you send me a battery and not notify me and give me a full refund....no reply back from XFJ21. AliExpress then responds to my claim saying I didn't provide the evidence showing the full contents of the package nor the original shipping label? What? I took a picture of everything I got and uploaded it to the case file? But, on close examination, the outside shipping label/tracking number is actually stuck over another label underneath. Spent some time carefully trying to remove the outer label to expose another original China label underneath. Just uploaded a picture of that. This appears to be a scam by the vendor that they can show they actually did ship "something" and it was "delivered" and thus their stats look good and the customer must be lying...

So - warning - never buy anything from XFJ21 Store, and it looks like AliExpress seems more biased towards their vendors than to customers...
this is so sad :( had a problem with my package, that it was lost but a new package was sent by the seller..

jaatre

Not sure about this particular store, but I always get products that were having a decent number of orders already.
And always Sort by Orders instead of Best selling

daggernc

Forum Donor
I did check the seller's "rating" and it was over 90%, but there wasn't a ton of reviews... It looks like AliExpress may refund my money, but their response to my claim is a bit cryptic, so will see in a few days.

Top Bottom