• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

LEAF Dac Dual 9038Q2M VS Gustard X16 ! Pictures inside )

JoeSVK

Hi guys - have a comparison video / video2 (download it on your PC)- can you hear any difference? First half is the stock op amp configuration, the second half is with the 1612 in the I/V stage. But after hearing it on my dads speakers, the 1612 opens up the sound stage, the bass/mids/treble is more even, with the stock op amps it was like something stood out more and the sound was veiled, like behind some invisible wall, now it can expand. There is lot less distortion as well.

Last edited:

daggernc

Forum Donor
Thanks for the comparison audio files Joe. I am only playing thru my computer speakers, but I can absolutely hear a difference. Can't say which "half" is a more accurate representation of the recording, but I do get a sense of less pronounced mids, mid-highs on the second half of each clip..

BTW - AliExpress finally ruled in my favor and gave me a refund. I've ordered this DAC from a different seller...hopefully I will actually get it this time! I also ordered and received 4 pcs. of the OPA1612s, so I'll be doing the I/V stage swap when mine comes in.

JoeSVK

The sound is more even, more natural, the soundstage has more depth

wallaceho

Hi guys,

I also purchased this set with Lead Audio's linear power supply too.
I am also planning to upgrade the op-amp, and I just chatted with the seller in China regarding the op-amp upgrade.

Here is some info that I would like to share with you guys who may be interested in such upgrade:

There are 5 op-amps in the main board and 2 op-amp in the daughter card. On the main board, there are 2pcs of 5532, and 3pcs of 4580. According to the seller, the 2pcs 5532 op-amp are responsible for the balanced circuit in the DAC, while the 3pcs of 4580 are for RCA output.
The 2pcs of 4580 on the daughter card are responsbile for head amp circuit.

So, if anyone like me who is use this DAC/AMP for mainly headphone purpose, focus on upgrading the 2pcs 5532 on mainboard and 2 pcs 4580 on the daughter card.
The seller also recommend OPA627. Guys who has this may try this out.

Attachments

• IMG_20220502_224931_edit_823409017914981.jpg
    IMG_20220502_224931_edit_823409017914981.jpg
    142 KB · Views: 132

daggernc

Forum Donor
Isn't the OPA627 a single channel opamp vs the OPA1612 is dual (so you would need two 627s per OEM opamp replacement)?

JoeSVK

Hi guys,

I also purchased this set with Lead Audio's linear power supply too.
I am also planning to upgrade the op-amp, and I just chatted with the seller in China regarding the op-amp upgrade.

Here is some info that I would like to share with you guys who may be interested in such upgrade:

There are 5 op-amps in the main board and 2 op-amp in the daughter card. On the main board, there are 2pcs of 5532, and 3pcs of 4580. According to the seller, the 2pcs 5532 op-amp are responsible for the balanced circuit in the DAC, while the 3pcs of 4580 are for RCA output.
The 2pcs of 4580 on the daughter card are responsbile for head amp circuit.

So, if anyone like me who is use this DAC/AMP for mainly headphone purpose, focus on upgrading the 2pcs 5532 on mainboard and 2 pcs 4580 on the daughter card.
The seller also recommend OPA627. Guys who has this may try this out.
This is not the same DAC. What model number is on the back?

wallaceho

Isn't the OPA627 a single channel opamp vs the OPA1612 is dual (so you would need two 627s per OEM opamp replacement)?
Yes, you're right. it needs two pcs. like this one offered by the seller

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220503_085700.jpg
    Screenshot_20220503_085700.jpg
    438.4 KB · Views: 83

JoeSVK

Sure, and we should be talking the same DAC
Can you send me the link to the seller you bought it from in a conversation? I am interested in that power supply.

EDIT: found the power supply - https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001288668538.html?spm=a2g0s.8937460.0.0.69402e0eWn75BH but which version do you have? Also have you tested the power brick vs this PS? any arguable difference in the sound quality? Paying the same price for a power supply is a lot, you can buy some good power bricks for that or lower price.

Last edited:

Veri

Master Contributor
Paying the same price for a power supply is a lot, you can buy some good power bricks for that or lower price.
Something like this is readily available in the US and should remove any nervosa about clean power

I use this switcher and it's never given any noise or stability problem..

JoeSVK

Something like this is readily available in the US and should remove any nervosa about clean power

I use this switcher and it's never given any noise or stability problem..
Checked that Allo power supply, shipped from EU the price is $15 for the brick and $19.50 for the shipping :facepalm::D

EDIT: what do you think about this power brick? @daniboun bought this for his DAC, it is a much cheaper alternative to the ifi power brick.

Last edited:

Veri

Master Contributor
EDIT: what do you think about this power brick? @daniboun bought this for his DAC, it is a much cheaper alternative to the ifi power brick.
Don't you have any OEM Samsung or Apple 5V charger at home? The one you link just seems bog standard, it's probably fine but can't vouch for it..

JoeSVK

Don't you have any OEM Samsung or Apple 5V charger at home? The one you link just seems bog standard, it's probably fine but can't vouch for it..
Have one Apple power brick, but don't have a cable. Also I don't think the power output of that brick is enough for the DAC but I can be wrong.

wallaceho

Can you send me the link to the seller you bought it from in a conversation? I am interested in that power supply.

EDIT: found the power supply - https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001288668538.html?spm=a2g0s.8937460.0.0.69402e0eWn75BH but which version do you have? Also have you tested the power brick vs this PS? any arguable difference in the sound quality? Paying the same price for a power supply is a lot, you can buy some good power bricks for that or lower price.
Sorry didn't test against normal power supply..
For this DAC, the voltage must be 5V. So any power supply with 5V voltage and 3A+ should be fine.
And I bought them directly with Leaf Audio official online store in China, so the price is quite reasonable(less than 50% of the DAC) .. The link that you referred to has charged quite high, though the power supply is quite heavy making the shipping cost higher.

Veri

Master Contributor
Also I don't think the power output of that brick is enough for the DAC but I can be wrong.
I would find it hard to believe just a normal DAC would draw more than 5W ;) easy load.

wallaceho

As I ordered the combo in set, the seller did not send me their normal power supply, assuming I will use the Linear PS directly.
Anyway, I have a cheap 5V 1.5A power supply left over by my other gadgets, which is definitely not intended for Hi-fidelity purpose.
So I have done a quick A-B test using two different power supply.

First of all, I am a newbie in Head-Fi, and so my feeling may not as accurate as other KOL.

From my impression, the Linear PS will have less background noise, resulting in more solid, more pure sound.
The difference is noticeable, but I think it is not really 'significantly' large enough to rush in buying this Linear PS, given the price on Aliexpress is quite high. Since I purchased it directly in China, it is much cheaper and so I would say it somwhow justifies the cost.

I suspect a well built power supply should do a better job than my legacy power supply.

JoeSVK

Checked the Taobao site, the price for the PS is really good, but they are selling it only in China and as a combo with the DAC. The price on Aliexpress is 4-5x higher :-/

Would be interesting to have this kind of precise linear PS for the DAC. Also the DAC there is much cheaper.

daggernc

Forum Donor
Good news is I did receive this unit (finally)! Quick check and my Windows 11 PC via supplied USB cable connected with no manual driver installations required. My audio control panel shows I have 3 Output options: nVidia, Realtek Digital, and Speakers HiFi DSD. If I choose Realtek, then I can only go to 24/192, but if I choose HiFi DSD then I can go to 24/384! Remote works well (and FYI takes a 2032 button battery).

OK, what is the preferred filter - "fast roll-off minimum" ? I don't see a "fast linear" but there is a "hybrid fast"?

JoeSVK

Good news is I did receive this unit (finally)! Quick check and my Windows 11 PC via supplied USB cable connected with no manual driver installations required. My audio control panel shows I have 3 Output options: nVidia, Realtek Digital, and Speakers HiFi DSD. If I choose Realtek, then I can only go to 24/192, but if I choose HiFi DSD then I can go to 24/384! Remote works well (and FYI takes a 2032 button battery).

OK, what is the preferred filter - "fast roll-off minimum" ? I don't see a "fast linear" but there is a "hybrid fast"?
Good to hear, that you finally received yours. I am using Fast roll-of minimum as that filter was more pleasing for me? There are minimal differences between them that we could hear on speakers.

Top Bottom