• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

KOSS Porta Pro Review (On-ear Headphone)

Rate this headphone:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 14 7.7%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 53 29.0%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 88 48.1%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 28 15.3%

• Total voters

snaimpally

I have owned a pair of these for a long time - very light weight and comfortable and surprisingly good bass output. Koss also produced a pair called the "SportaPros" which were very similar, but at a lower cost. I recently bought a pair that Drop produces (MASSDROP X KOSS PORTA PRO X) that includes a microphone and use them for conference calls.

andivax

Forum Donor
without EQ it is the best cheap cans you can buy for bass heavy music or metal.
I've used it for years in GYM and on Bike.
Now I am user of Marshall Mid ANC and Model 4 and you know, I still miss Koss Porta pro! ))
It has very colourfull sound. Very inspiring )

mshenay

Here are some thoughts about the EQ.

Notes about the EQ design:
  • The average L/R is used to calculate the score.
  • The resolution is 12 points per octave interpolated from the raw data (provided by @amirm)
  • A Genetic Algorithm is used to optimize the EQ.
  • The EQ Score is designed to MAXIMIZE the Score WHILE fitting the Harman target curve (and other constrains) with a fixed complexity.
    This will avoid weird results if one only optimizes for the Score.
    It will probably flatten the Error regression doing so, the tonal balance should be therefore more neutral.
  • The EQs are starting point and may require tuning (certainly at LF and maybe at HF).
  • The range around and above 10kHz is usually not EQed unless smooth enough to do so.
  • I am using PEQ (PK) as from my experience the definition is more consistent across different DSP/platform implementations than shelves.
  • With some HP/amp combo, the boosts and preamp gain (loss of Dynamic range) need to be carefully considered to avoid issues with, amongst other things, too low a Max SPL or damaging your device. You have beed warned.
  • Not all units of the same product are made equal. The EQ is based on the measurements of a single unit.
  • YMMV with regards to the very unit you are trying this EQ on.
  • I sometimes use variations of the Harman curve for some reasons. See rational here: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...pro-review-headphone.28244/page-5#post-989169 NOTE: the score then calculated is not comparable to the scores derived from the default Harman target curve if not otherwise noted.
Good L/R match.

I have generated one EQ, the APO config file is attached.
The HF troughs are severely decreasing the score.
Quite a bit of boost on either end of the spectrum, beware and careful.

The score with EQ could be higher if the LF is not fully compensated as the regression error becomes flatter
But that's cheating(?)...
Filter 1: ON PK Fc 24.98 Hz Gain 8.32 dB Q 0.65 - >Filter 1: ON PK Fc 24.98 Hz Gain 3.32 dB Q 0.65 yields a score of 84.8

Score no EQ: 25.4
Score Armirm: 48.0
Score with EQ: 80.2

Code:
Koss Porta Pro APO EQ Flat@HF 96000Hz
December182021-162029

Preamp: -8 dB

Filter 1: ON PK Fc 24.98 Hz Gain 8.32 dB Q 0.65
Filter 2: ON PK Fc 151.98 Hz Gain -5.55 dB Q 0.70
Filter 3: ON PK Fc 1938.60 Hz Gain -1.77 dB Q 2.91
Filter 4: ON PK Fc 3934.00 Hz Gain 8.77 dB Q 2.68
Filter 5: ON PK Fc 5848.63 Hz Gain -11.24 dB Q 3.22
Filter 6: ON PK Fc 6632.01 Hz Gain 9.12 dB Q 4.74
Filter 7: ON PK Fc 8382.86 Hz Gain 9.04 dB Q 2.14
Filter 8: ON PK Fc 11343.35 Hz Gain -6.65 dB Q 3.24

View attachment 173184
View attachment 173949In case it’s helpful, here’s the EQ settings I use on mine with Yaxi pads. This is based off Oratory’s measurements with yaxi pads (which I believe he found slightly decreased the upper bass as well as the treble peak, but I forget). I probably made a few minor tweaks to taste, but I’ve been using this profile for about a year. I tested Amir’s and Maiky’s last night for fun - Maiky’s sounded quite a bit off in the treble, as if the treble peaks on my headphones don’t line up with the measured sample here, but I thought Amir’s EQ sounded pretty excellent. Perhaps clearer and slightly brighter than the profile I usually use, but with a touch less bass impact. For my music (especially extreme metal), and on my sample using yaxi pads, I think I prefer my starting EQ, but I’ll definitely experiment with Amir’s profile going forward.

Note that this EQ profile is actually -6.0 db pre-gain (which is the default for Qudelix) even though it shows as 0.0.

EDIT: oof, no idea why a tiny screenshot came up so colossally huge, but I'm not sure how to change it.

I found the Oratory1990 Pull w/Yaxi an I made some changes to Maiky's curve and overall I enjoy! Thanks to @ishouldbeking for commenting on his Yaxi EQ

1691755986343.png

I can list the details out when I get home later if any one is interested, but I quite like the PortaPro xYaxi, I use it with my Surface Pro and a iFi GO Link any time I'm out of the house

Last edited:

Count Arthur

Major Contributor
Has anyone else tried the Koss KPH40?

1691756068728.png

The measurements look pretty similar, and to my ears, I don't think there's much in it, but I do find them more comfortable and, unlike the Porta Pro, the headband never traps my hair - ouch.

1691755882730.png

1691755910181.png

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Same driver as the newer PortaPro (which hass a little less bass extension than the earlier one), different headband, different price and different cable (a type of system).
a $ 10.- cheaper and less nice looking alternative is the KPH30i

The 'hook' of the PortaPro always kept poking in the top of my pinna.

dr0ss

Thanks for the fun videos! I wonder in how many countries the PPs became an icon? I bought both my current pairs(*) in Norway (one around 10 years ago, another 3 years ago) in part because every other person on the street had them and I needed something, but it is really not that uncommon to see American audio goods in Norway. I'm surprised they are well known in Japan.

(*) Actually, both pairs have been replaced under warranty, so neither are really from Norway. A pity, since the Norwegian ones had nice red accents and a hefty woven cord sleeve.

Moderate Dionysianism

I'm surprised they are well known in Japan.

Oh yeah, they seem to have quite a following there. Check out the Yaxi accessories for example:

BTW, their PortaPro pads are super comfy, way above the originals IMHO.

frogmeat69

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Oh yeah, they seem to have quite a following there. Check out the Yaxi accessories for example:

I agree, the Yaxi ear pads are very comfy.

dr0ss

Yes, I mention upthread (December '21) that I had just bought a set of the Yaxis. They are just starting to fade a bit (lots of outdoor walking), otherwise still holding up.

dr0ss

Yes, I mention upthread (December '21) that I had just bought a set of the Yaxis. They are just starting to fade a bit (lots of outdoor walking), otherwise still holding up.
Just a quick update to the above: the deterioration of my Yaxis has accelerated (even though since August I have only worn them inside, a few times/week while treadmilling). A lifespan of around 2 years is not terrible for the improvement in comfort, but people buying them should be aware of this. ('Standard' replacements from Koss might not last any longer, but they are only around $2/pair in 3-packs.)

paudio

Has anyone else tried the Koss KPH40?

Grabbed the KPH40X from Drop and it's my main headphone now. It's just too comfortable for me to reach for anything else unless it's too noisy to enjoy them. I haven't felt the need to EQ anything other than boosting subbass. I threw Yaxi pads on it right away. The stock pads are ok but way more abrasive then the Yaxi pads.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Just a quick update to the above: the deterioration of my Yaxis has accelerated (even though since August I have only worn them inside, a few times/week while treadmilling). A lifespan of around 2 years is not terrible for the improvement in comfort, but people buying them should be aware of this. ('Standard' replacements from Koss might not last any longer, but they are only around $2/pair in 3-packs.)
The original pads don't last very long when exposed to sweat, humidity and heat.
That's why Koss sells them in blisters for little money.

salmo

I bought my pair for ~27$ at sale, for that price (and with EQ!) they usable when I need good contact with my surroundings or during summers. Also nice pouch included. All in all nothing special. ;D

Top Bottom