• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Kef R3 Trim ring/Shadow Flare not aligned properly

reaperxiv

Hi,

After a lot of reading I bought a pair of Kef R3s.

I am now worried about this shadow flare problem because on one of my speakers I cant push it in far enough for it to be optimal. I cant get it in any further than to baffel level.
I'm now worried that it wont perform optimal because of this and thinking about returning them and get a pair of LS50 Metas instead which doesn't have this manufacturing problem as far as I know.

What would you do in this situation ?

Last edited:

BrokenEnglishGuy

Major Contributor
Hi,

I am now worried about this shadow flare problem because on one of my speakers I cant push it in far enough for it to be optimal. I cant get it in any further than to baffel level.
I'm now worried that it wont perform optimal because of this and thinking about returning them and get a pair of LS50 Metas instead which doesn't have this manufacturing problem as far as I know.

Kef%20R3%20Response%20Variance%20per%20Shadow%20Flare%20Position.png

You only need the flare 0.5mm, are you sure the shadow flare cannot goes more futter than the baffle? it's only 0.5mm

Do you hear any problem?

Last edited:
OP
R

reaperxiv

Kef%20R3%20Response%20Variance%20per%20Shadow%20Flare%20Position.png

You only need the flare 0.5mm, are you sure the shadow flare cannot goes more futter than the baffle? it's only 0.5mm

Do you hear any problem?
Yes I've tried and its completely impossible to push it any further.

Nope I think it sounds really good. Just annoying to know that it could be better due to a manufacturing/quality control/design issue when you pay this much for speakers.
I mean speakers that cost like five times less doesn't have this problem with moving parts.

BrokenEnglishGuy

Major Contributor
Yes I've tried and its completely impossible to push it any further.

Nope I think it sounds really good. Just annoying to know that it could be better due to a manufacturing/quality control/design issue when you pay this much for speakers.
I mean speakers that cost like five times less doesn't have this problem with moving parts.
Hmm I'd say is a trade of no using screw
But yeah it could be better, the control quality was a failure

Last edited:

Laserjock

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi,

Return and purchase another pair?

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi,

The important thing is really the inner part of the shadow flare trim ring being flush with the outer edge of the Uni Q array. Are you able to get them to match up?

Laserjock

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I wanted some of these for awhile but being a Revel fan, I wonder if I’ll like them.

JRiggs

Don’t sweat it. If you can’t get over it, then exchange for another pair of R3.

Fahzz

Forum Donor
The important thing is really the inner part of the shadow flare trim ring being flush with the outer edge of the Uni Q array. Are you able to get them to match up?
What's a good way to push these in? One of mine is mis-aligned- top sticks out a little and bottom is recessed.

JRiggs

yep, maybe in 2024 we got R3 METAS :)
R series was launch in 2018, remember speakers aren't smartphones.
Yep, late 2018. I would not expect another R update for a minute. The ongoing sale is not just for the R series.

Fahzz

Forum Donor
I had taken a chance on a refurb, and rather than screw around with them, I returned them. I think I bought through Best Buy, so I just brought back to them.

I did break down and pay for a non refurb. Great speakers. Good luck.

Top Bottom