• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Kef R Meta Series Release

Daka

I just picked up my R6 Meta in white to pair with the Blade One Meta.
Don’t ask me how it sounds compare to the non meta version. I don’t know. I never had R series before this.
I think someone was asking if it has mounting hole on one of its side, it does not. You can use this as LCR without having to hide the holes.
I honestly don’t know how long I’m going to keep this. I thought this would match with my white Blade but the drivers color look more mismatched than I would like. Maybe I’ll build a new console and painted white or something. Or maybe I’ll order another one in black and change out the drivers to white and black. But by then, I can custom order a reference 4C in white with blue UniQ and black drivers to match the blade.
I did have to push all the shadow flares on the drivers to make it flush with the cabinet.
View attachment 268600

View attachment 268601
Have you got bass traps in the back as well or only in the front?

this is me

Just panels on the back corners. I don’t even know if they do anything.
F1AC2CE1-C7D9-4E7B-8C5A-08C0860843B6.jpeg

sifi36

Must be some special super luxury matt.
Many speaker manufacturers do matt with no issues. Never heard this is overcomplicated.

this what you’re describing is third party plastic coating - if you get it done in good place there won’t be any lumps if you do it yourself or skimp then yeah you will get that. Regular proper Matt paint you would not see any lumps but it’s proper expensive job - probably 4x more than plastic coating.

BMW offer matt paint as a factory option on the M4, the finish is questionable and maintenance is a nightmare. Given the car specified it’s probably paint rather than a wrap.

this is me

I only have this for a couple hours and I don’t know how much longer I can stand the color. The white and silver drivers are :vomit:
5C590DAE-C688-46DF-9482-C50156C98C34.jpeg

Daka

BMW offer matt paint as a factory option on the M4, the finish is questionable and maintenance is a nightmare. Given the car specified it’s probably paint rather than a wrap.
Wrap would not have lumps nor the paint should. If it’s factory paint coming off like this, thats a total f’up on BMW part and can be simply rejected.
Merc’s had used matt for awhile and always flawless paint finish. Indeed as with every matt finish it’s a total pain in the ass to keep it clean.

Daka

I only have this for a couple hours and I don’t know how much longer I can stand the color. The white and silver drivers are :vomit:
View attachment 268610
Used to like white and silver but now I’m like grey or total black. Put the grill on and job done. If you use room correction, you can correct a slight dip around 14-15kHz. Otherwise I found grills in my room to either make no difference if not slightly improving the frequency response between 100-5kHz (smaller variations).

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Used to like white and silver but now I’m like grey or total black. Put the grill on and job done. If you use room correction, you can correct a slight dip around 14-15kHz. Otherwise I found grills in my room to either make no difference if not slightly improving the frequency response between 100-5kHz (smaller variations).
I like all the colorways, but, thing is, my Kef's double as home theater speakers. Given that, I want something that disappears not only sonically, but visually when I kill the lights. So it's black, graphite or carbon for me.

exm

I just picked up my R6 Meta in white to pair with the Blade One Meta.
Don’t ask me how it sounds compare to the non meta version. I don’t know. I never had R series before this.
I think someone was asking if it has mounting hole on one of its side, it does not. You can use this as LCR without having to hide the holes.
I honestly don’t know how long I’m going to keep this. I thought this would match with my white Blade but the drivers color look more mismatched than I would like. Maybe I’ll build a new console and painted white or something. Or maybe I’ll order another one in black and change out the drivers to white and black. But by then, I can custom order a reference 4C in white with blue UniQ and black drivers to match the blade.
I did have to push all the shadow flares on the drivers to make it flush with the cabinet.
View attachment 268600

View attachment 268601

Nice setup. Any reason you wouldn't get the Reference 2C Meta customized? If you keep the same cabinet, I think a closed box would work better.

Also, are you planning to keep your LS50 as side/rear surrounds? I have front 3 Reference speakers and am using a R3 as side/rear surround; I have the R3 Meta ordered to replace it. However, I'm considering a Reference 1 (used, non-Meta) also but that might be a waste. Curious what your thoughts are.

Last edited:

this is me

Yes please tell the internet where nice Blades are located
Lol. If I’m a thief, I would find something easier to move, easier to sell, and something that holds better value on the used market than hifi audio gear.

Daka

Lol. If I’m a thief, I would find something easier to move, easier to sell, and something that holds better value on the used market than hifi audio gear.
Maybe an audiophile thief lol
Just checked it’s 57KG per speaker? Wow - yeah definitely not easy to move. Did the guys who brought it to you - unpacked it and put it into place as well?

this is me

Nice setup. Any reason you wouldn't get the Reference 2C Meta customized? If you keep the same cabinet, I think a closed box would work better.

Also, are you planning to keep your LS50 as side/rear surrounds? I have front 3 Reference speakers and am using a R3 as side/rear surround; I have the R3 Meta ordered to replace it. However, I'm considering a Reference 1 (used, non-Meta) also but that might be a waste. Curious what your thoughts are.
I listen to music 100times before I watch a single movie. So my priority is the stereo set up.
I was looking at reference 2C and 4C but the price is something I would have to think about and probably not worth it since I don’t really watch a lot of movies. Despite the importance of a center channel in movies, I just don’t think it’s worth it for me specifically to spend reference line price.
I think surround speakers would be the least of my priorities even if I do watch a lot of movies. They just don’t do much. I would rather get more speakers for Atmos set up and spread out subwoofers before I spend Reference 1 for surround. They’re certainly look impressive though. :D

this is me

Maybe an audiophile thief lol
Just checked it’s 57KG per speaker? Wow - yeah definitely not easy to move. Did the guys who brought it to you - unpacked it and put it into place as well?
Moving speakers with their boxes is a lot easier and more feasible than bare speakers. KEF really improved on their new meta reference and blade line packaging that I was able to do it all mostly by myself with a Uhaul truck. If you watch any of the unboxing video of the reference meta, you’ll see why. They’re package more like how a new TV would with the plastic clips. Once you remove the plastic clips, the box breaks down and you don’t have to lift the speaker off the floor. You can just slide it out. Although the R6 meta didn’t have this kind of packaging, I assume the larger floorstanding R meta models do.

exm

Moving speakers with their boxes is a lot easier and more feasible than bare speakers. KEF really improved on their new meta reference and blade line packaging that I was able to do it all mostly by myself with a Uhaul truck. If you watch any of the unboxing video of the reference meta, you’ll see why. They’re package more like how a new TV would with the plastic clips. Once you remove the plastic clips, the box breaks down and you don’t have to lift the speaker off the floor. You can just slide it out. Although the R6 meta didn’t have this kind of packaging, I assume the larger floorstanding R meta models do.
I listen to music 100times before I watch a single movie. So my priority is the stereo set up.
I was looking at reference 2C and 4C but the price is something I would have to think about and probably not worth it since I don’t really watch a lot of movies. Despite the importance of a center channel in movies, I just don’t think it’s worth it for me specifically to spend reference line price.
I think surround speakers would be the least of my priorities even if I do watch a lot of movies. They just don’t do much. I would rather get more speakers for Atmos set up and spread out subwoofers before I spend Reference 1 for surround. They’re certainly look impressive though. :D

I have the non-Meta Reference Series and boy, it's a project to get those unboxed. I guess the Meta's got the new box treatment. Well done, KEF.

What processor do you have? I love to listen to music also, but I'm having my Lyngdorf upmix to surround this with great success. Additionally, lots of streaming services are spatial audio. But I guess if you do more old-school like vinyl, 2 channel makes sense.

this is me

I have the non-Meta Reference Series and boy, it's a project to get those unboxed. I guess the Meta's got the new box treatment. Well done, KEF.

What processor do you have? I love to listen to music also, but I'm having my Lyngdorf upmix to surround this with great success. Additionally, lots of streaming services are spatial audio. But I guess if you do more old-school like vinyl, 2 channel makes sense.
Before all this madness, I had Paradigm Prestige 95F, 55C, and 15B for 5 channel set up with NAD M17, and M27. It was a great movie set up. Never felt like I need a sub with those 95F. The Paradigms are great for the action movies I watch but I was too bothered by the high end frequency sound reproduction when I listen to music on them. So I started to look into Kefs because of their measurement and they’re readily available for demo at my dealership. I started out with the LS50 meta. The more I listen to the LS50m, the more in love with the vocal and image they produce. At the time, I would rather listen to music on the ls50m than the Paradigm 95F even though it lacks the bass. That was solved pretty nicely with a KC62.
I still have the M17 and M27 for movies but the FL and FR are directed to the two Luxman M-10X for the blades. The M27 still powering the center and rear surrounding channels. When I’m listening to music, I use my Lumin T5 directly connected to the M-10x. I can’t quite come to term with the M17 as a music preamp. There’s some onboard dsp happening. There’s a feature called dynamic eq on it. If I turn it off, the sound is hallow and thin. If I turn it on, the high is exacerbated and the bass is bloated. For this reason, I never like to use it even though I love the built in BluOS streaming app.
I’m in the process of getting a preamp for the stereo set up. My natural go to would be the Luxman C-900U(which I have brought home to try for several weeks). However, a replacement C-10x is on the horizon and I might as well wait.
I’m looking into Atmos set up. If I can get to a demo room with Atmos set up and experience the sound and like it, I can upgrade the NAD M17 processor to handle Atmos. Then I will get the R6m and mount them in the ceiling.
Center channels and auxiliary channels are rarely talked about so it’s hard to research/demo before buying them yourself.
But if you’re running Kef for 2 channel listening, these R series speakers are a great match(sound wise) for home theater duty.

Reactions: exm

pjn

R7 metas just installed - nice! Measuring....
They do - very easy to unbox - instructions on the outside of the box. Good thinking.

Last edited:
Top Bottom