• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Kef blade 2 meta frequency response

OP
D

dogmamann

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I think there are lots of speakers which has similar PIR and cost less. None of them in real life sounds like the blade 2 metas

steve59

Major Contributor
The Blade 1 sounds so good that I can find no reason to upgrade to the meta's. I see the spins and appreciate how they can help determine in room sound or placement, but When I post direct threads questioning how to measure resolution and the responses I get all say resolution isn't measurable except for a lack of distortion. Just compare the salon 1 to the salon 2 and the biggest difference is soundstage, imaging, and resolution. With soundstage and imaging I get answers that those things are imagined and irrelevant because they confuse accuracy? When we get to the $10k price the things that we don't have measurements for become more important otherwise we'd all own the same 1 of half a dozen offerings.

BrokenEnglishGuy

Major Contributor
The Blade 1 sounds so good that I can find no reason to upgrade to the meta's. I see the spins and appreciate how they can help determine in room sound or placement, but When I post direct threads questioning how to measure resolution and the responses I get all say resolution isn't measurable except for a lack of distortion. Just compare the salon 1 to the salon 2 and the biggest difference is soundstage, imaging, and resolution. With soundstage and imaging I get answers that those things are imagined and irrelevant because they confuse accuracy? When we get to the $10k price the things that we don't have measurements for become more important otherwise we'd all own the same 1 of half a dozen offerings.
First gen blades are all good, just a big distortion at 500hz~
I remember the measurements from the german mag, unlike the new blades… these lack of distortion
First blades and metas blades are quite different, the first ones have a lot of time in the market

steve59

Major Contributor
IDK what volumes the distortion becomes a distraction, but I don't hear it and for the investment required to make the change I would definitely need to be distracted by it.

BrokenEnglishGuy

Major Contributor
IDK what volumes the distortion becomes a distraction, but I don't hear it and for the investment required to make the change I would definitely need to be distracted by it.
is quite high vs newer KEFs, in 14~ years kef improved a lot their drivers

index.php

Sorry for the tinny image but as you can see, the distortion from the new models are much better
1710518646331.png

Tangband

Major Contributor
is quite high vs newer KEFs, in 14~ years kef improved a lot their drivers

index.php

Sorry for the tinny image but as you can see, the distortion from the new models are much better
View attachment 356628
Yes, lower distortion in the newer models. Both old and new need some shelving in the deep bass to be fullrange if freestanding away from walls .

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, lower distortion in the newer models. Both old and new need some shelving in the deep bass to be fullrange if freestanding away from walls .
That cannot be generalised as it depends also on the amount of room gain.

Vacceo

Major Contributor
I probably saw it and interpreted it all wrong, but I think I saw, quite some time ago that a non Meta Blade can be "updated" after contacting KEF. Do not take this as a certainty because my memories of reading that are foggy.

steve59

Major Contributor
The Blade cannot be updated to the blade meta, at least KEF hasn't offered a kit to date.

Tangband

Major Contributor
That cannot be generalised as it depends also on the amount of room gain.
True, the undertuning of the reflex system might even be an advantage with smaller rooms with lots of roomgain.
But in a big room, an undertuning slightly above 30 Hz is not particularly low, and the frequency slope of the bass needs some boost if there is little roomgain.

This is not a really big problem, cause noone buys streamers nowadays without inbuilt PEQ ?;)

Edit: reading the Kef paper about blade 2 meta they say the speaker is perfect for smaller rooms.

Last edited:
OP
D

dogmamann

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The Blade cannot be updated to the blade meta, at least KEF hasn't offered a kit to date.
The crossover points are different, the woofers are improved. Cabin also has a different arrangement of absorbing materials. Theoretically it can be upgraded but it’s going to cost hell lot.

Reddoc

smaller rooms.
What would you call "smaller rooms"?
Money aside, and with appropriate and adequate subs to support good bass support across the listening positions, is there any reason to choose one over the other (Blade Meta 1 vs 2)?

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Money aside, and with appropriate and adequate subs to support good bass support across the listening positions, is there any reason to choose one over the other (Blade Meta 1 vs 2)?

The new paradigm in high budget home audio is the use of full range speakers and Dirac ART.

Tangband

Major Contributor
I dont know what Kef means with smaller rooms with blade 2 meta ( they say so in the paper , not my words ) .

Maybe they mean european living rooms ?

No problem using subs below 30 Hz but why should you in such an expensive speaker ? its 8 bass drivers 6.5 inch big so there would be no problem making them fullrange in the first place, … except for maybe marketing reasons ( buy the bigger blade 1 or buy Kef subwoofers ) .

Last edited:

Vacceo

Major Contributor
I dont know what Kef means with smaller rooms with blade 2 meta ( they say so in the paper , not my words ) .

Maybe they mean european living rooms ?

No problem using subs below 30 Hz but why should you in such an expensive speaker ? its 8 bass drivers 6.5 inch big so there would be no problem making them fullrange in the first place, … except for maybe marketing reasons ( buy the bigger blade 1 or buy Kef subwoofers )
Euro living rooms are around 20 to 30 square meters. In that space, you can get good SPL with relatively small speakers.

I see no reason for not using the Blades watching tv/films/gaming, so subwoofers in non-music content are a good idea.

Top Bottom