• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Kali SM-5-C Project Santa Monica 3 way passive monitor announced

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
They were announced almost a year ago:

Ellebob

Forum Donor
The active version is supposed to be coming in May/June. The passive version should be used with their recommended amp and you use two channels of amplification for each speaker. One channel for the woofer and the other for the coaxial midrange/tweeter. You can use it in full passive mode but it is still recommended to use their DSP settings. I have tried it three ways withe the same amp, no EQ passive, EQ passive and bi-amped with EQ which was definitely best of the three. I don't know if the active version will be tri-amplified but its MSRP is supposed to be less than the passive version when you use the recommended Lea amp.

voltronic

The active version is supposed to be coming in May/June. The passive version should be used with their recommended amp and you use two channels of amplification for each speaker. One channel for the woofer and the other for the coaxial midrange/tweeter. You can use it in full passive mode but it is still recommended to use their DSP settings. I have tried it three ways withe the same amp, no EQ passive, EQ passive and bi-amped with EQ which was definitely best of the three. I don't know if the active version will be tri-amplified but its MSRP is supposed to be less than the passive version when you use the recommended Lea amp.
What are your thoughts on its performance compared to their powered monitors, if you have been able to compare? I just got a pair of IN-5 and I'm very happy with them so far, particularly after REQ.

Ellebob

Forum Donor
Definitely a good step up from the IN-5. I also have a pair of IN-5 in my home and really enjoy them. I liked the IN-5 better than the Kef R3 and I had a chance to get the R3 less than half price and below dealer cost when they were discontinued and replaced with the Meta. I also liked them better than the Meta.
Back to the SM-5-C I think they are going to compete in Genelec 8331/8341 territory. We didn't have any of the 'ones' at my work at time or I would have compared them. I would definitely take them over the IN-5 but they are ~6 times the price when you factor the price of the amp. To me the Lea amp is required.

voltronic

Definitely a good step up from the IN-5. I also have a pair of IN-5 in my home and really enjoy them. I liked the IN-5 better than the Kef R3 and I had a chance to get the R3 less than half price and below dealer cost when they were discontinued and replaced with the Meta. I also liked them better than the Meta.
Back to the SM-5-C I think they are going to compete in Genelec 8331/8341 territory. We didn't have any of the 'ones' at my work at time or I would have compared them. I would definitely take them over the IN-5 but they are ~6 times the price when you factor the price of the amp. To me the Lea amp is required.
Wow, that's some very high praise.

Top Bottom