• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Kali LP6 / T5V / HS5 / KRK ROKIT 5 G4

jay420

yo, I make Boom Bap beats and I want to buy monitors for my home studio, my room is untreated, the size is: 3.7m x 2.7m.
I have 600$ to spend on. Help me choosing between the four or any suggestions or recommendation

staticV3

Master Contributor
For producing, you ideally want a full-range, well integrated 2.x system.

For the monitors, take a look at this website, which ranks all kinds of speakers by their preference score: https://www.spinorama.org/scores.ht...=false&power=active&priceMax=300&quality=high

(I've added appropriate filter values for your scenario: active speakers, up to $300 per piece, high measurement quality, sorted by best preference score with a sub)

As for the sub(s), you ideally want something with high-passed pass-through ports for your monitors, so that deep bass is handled exclusively by the sub and there's a nice crossover to the mains.

Some less expensive subwoofers with that feature include:
-Presonus Sub 8BT
-ESI Aktiv 10S
-KRK S8.4

Last edited:

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
they will be good for untreated room?
They have pretty good dispersion, so results should be about as good as you can expect given the circumstances. Bass also goes pretty deep.

You gave a room size, but what is listening distance going to be? For example, in nearfield the RP5G4 would do well, while the LP6v2s should hold up well at medium distances around 1.5 m (I wouldn't want to use them much below about 0.8 m though).

OP
J

jay420

They have pretty good dispersion, so results should be about as good as you can expect given the circumstances. Bass also goes pretty deep.

You gave a room size, but what is listening distance going to be? For example, in nearfield the RP5G4 would do well, while the LP6v2s should hold up well at medium distances around 1.5 m (I wouldn't want to use them much below about 0.8 m though).
my table is 0.6m so ill pass on the lp6, what u say about the hs5?

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
my table is 0.6m so ill pass on the lp6, what u say about the hs5?
Not bad, needs some EQ.

dfuller

Major Contributor
yo, I make Boom Bap beats and I want to buy monitors for my home studio, my room is untreated, the size is: 3.7m x 2.7m.
I have 600$ to spend on. Help me choosing between the four or any suggestions or recommendation
Any room is going to be an unmitigated nightmare sans treatment, but the Kalis are the best of these. Set it up so your speakers are firing the long way down the room, then (in order) treat ceiling, back wall, side walls.

sysfc6

任何房间都将是一个不加治疗的噩梦,但卡利是其中最好的。设置好它,让你的扬声器沿着房间的方向发射,然后(按顺序)处理天花板、后墙、侧墙。
赞同

kongkong

I recommend LP6v2. I think directivity is one of the most mportant element for speakers.
T5V has also good directivity. It could be slightly 'bright' at on-axis, you can adjust with toe-in / toe-out beacuse it has good directivity.

And for basic room acoustics, you should buying a cheap rta mic such as Umik-1. Just do EQ under schroeder frequency (maybe ~300hz in small room).
Good speaker give good performance up to owner's ability.

OP
J

jay420

I recommend LP6v2. I think directivity is one of the most mportant element for speakers.
T5V has also good directivity. It could be slightly 'bright' at on-axis, you can adjust with toe-in / toe-out beacuse it has good directivity.

And for basic room acoustics, you should buying a cheap rta mic such as Umik-1. Just do EQ under schroeder frequency (maybe ~300hz in small room).
Good speaker give good performance up to owner's ability.
i got an nt1a by rode for mic, and any recommendations for acoustic treatment companies?

kongkong

i got an nt1a by rode for mic, and any recommendations for acoustic treatment companies?
Umik-1 of Minidsp (usb RTA mic. calibration file provided)
ECM 8000 of berhinger (need phantom power, need calibration)
UMM6 of dayton (need phantom power, calibration file provide)

for professional, Earthwork mic is the most trustable(they follow CLASS 1 performance)

Or, if you buy genelec SAM system or Neuman MA-1 system, they provide RTA mic.

RTA mic is only for measurement. (Speaker or room accoustic)
RTA mic should measure without 'unique sound'. NT1A is normal mic for recording music or vocal. (frequency response and linearity are different with RTA mic).

kongkong

dfuller

Major Contributor
None of us speak Mandarin; please use English on this forum.
any recommendations for acoustic treatment companies
In the US, it's pretty hard to beat GIK for premade treatment. The "monster traps" without range limiters are the best value for broadband absorption as they can actually function down into reasonably LF well.

Top Bottom