• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What cables shoudl I use? (KRK monitors to interface)

NilsenB

Hi!

New to the forum but been producing for many years as a hobby. Just recently started focusing more on improving my overall sound quality and have a kinda new beginners question.
Finally was able to buy an apartment with an extra spare room so Im now planning this to be my little home studio. So Im trying to make it the best possible place to produce.
The room itself is planned considering layout, acoustics and soundproofing. But when it comes to cables I never seem to find good information.

I have KRK Rokit 5s with balanced TRS and XLR inputs. My interface (Focusrite) has XLR outputs. Im now using XLR to XLR.

So my question is..is it better to stick with this or is it any improvent/pros (if so please explaine why) of using TRS to XLR?

Also, Im pretty sure many people will say i should not use KRKs :)cool:) So for those who feel that way please recommend an better option in the same price range!
I know they are bass heavy. These were my first monitors like 8 years ago, and Im open to something new and maybe better. I just want monitors that have the most clean and honest sound.

I might as well add on more thing...

I have a M-audio Oxygen49 midi keyboard that I hate. I dont use the faders and knobs and dont like the feel to the tangents. I mainly use it for simple melody composes for electronic music, but i also enjoy trying to learn more serious piano skills. So i want something with a more realistic feedback, more clean surface and with 61 tangents.
Is the Nektar Impact GX61 a good buy? Or does anyone have any suggestions up to 2-400$? I know i cant get weighted tangets at that price :confused:

Thanks for reading and hope for some good response!

staticV3

Master Contributor
So my question is..is it better to stick with this or is it any improvent/pros (if so please explaine why) of using TRS to XLR?
TRS and XLR carry the same exact signal. XLR has one advantage over TRS, which is that short-circuits are impossible when plugging/unplugging the cable.
TRS has no advantage over XLR (except it's a bit smaller I guess)

Also, Im pretty sure many people will say i should not use KRKs :)cool:) So for those who feel that way please recommend an better option in the same price range!
I see the Rokit 5 G4 for $190 on Sweetwater.
Here are some alternatives in the price range.
The Kali LP-6 V2 for example is really good.

OP
N

NilsenB

TRS and XLR carry the same exact signal. XLR has one advantage over TRS, which is that short-circuits are impossible when plugging/unplugging the cable.
TRS has no advantage over XLR (except it's a bit smaller I guess)

I see the Rokit 5 G4 for $190 on Sweetwater.
Here are some alternatives in the price range.
The Kali LP-6 V2 for example is really good.
Thanks! Guess I might as well save the money and stick with the cables Ive got. I will check out the monitor alternatives. Kinda love the KRKs but at the same time I dont think they give me the best and honest sound, so I think Im better off selling them and upgrade.

Appreciate the feedback and I will try to stick around to post more. Gotta love a forum full of life and knowledge :D

OP
N

NilsenB

Thanks to staticV3 Ive got most things figured out.
But if anyone have experience with the Nektar Impact GX61 i would appreciate your opinion!

Top Bottom