• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Kali IN5 or ADAM T7V or Focal Alpha 65 EVO?

vuljami

Hi y'all,

newbie here considering new monitors. I've narrowed the options down to these three after going through dozens of threads here and elsewhere as well as multiple A/Bs on Youtube (+ intend to go to a local retailer and listen to each of them asap) and still seem to be unable to make up my mind, hence this thread.

Primarily the monitors would be for mixing (mainly rock but also experimental / electronic), but also for just listening to music and some producing and mastering. Almost exclusively nearfield. So preferably flat, revealing and suited to above-mentioned needs, but if they also sound "fun/pleasant/immersive" then all the better. My room is about 4x4m with no proper treatment but doesn't sound horrible either. I like my mixes to be a bit scooped-sounding and relatively heavy on upper mids and highs.

The mids on the Kalis impress me the most so far, which is crucial considering the type of music I make. I think vocals sounded the best on these also. I'm a bit worried about their highs though. The width/soundstage and separation seems great as well.

The Focals' bass is definitely their best part, but I also heard that the upper mids around 3k and highs can be harsh due to a lousy tweeter, which could result in some problems with guitars and vocals (no less given my love for some screech in that area). The separation and width on these seems really impressive though.

The overall sound on the Adams is probably the least impressive according to some of the A/Bs on YT, but then again I've only read good things about them and love the top end clarity of the ribbon tweeters.

Any input is greatly appreciated :)

3125b

Major Contributor
+ intend to go to a local retailer and listen to each of them asap)
Do that.

I haven‘t heard the Kali in person, but between the other two I vastly prefer the Focal.
Pay attention to self-noise too, in the quiet environment of your home that will be way more noticeable than at most dealers.
It will probably not be possible to try them with EQ, however if you can, the Focals have a narrow peak at 14.1kHz, try to bring that down. The Kali have a dip at ~9kHz, bring that up. That will improve the treble quality on both of them.

The comparisons on Youtube can be misleading, I wouldn‘t pay too much attention to that.

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
Good thread. I'm also wondering why in the thread: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...cal-alpha-65-evo-review-studio-monitor.28832/ they only have a preference score of 4.1, when amir likes them and they also measures pretty flat.
Emphasis on pretty flat. There's still a fair few warts to be noted.

I wouldn't write off the T7Vs just yet. They clearly need EQ (much more so than the smaller T5V model), but with that applied they are overall better-behaved than the Focals. Both are very different in terms of dispersion though, the ADAMs get increasingly narrow towards the highs while the Focals are a much wider-radiating affair. It'll ultimately come down to actual listening distance. In nearfield the Focals will give you more freedom of movement, but they would probably sound bright in an untreated room while the ADAMs would keep that under control substantially better, including imaging. (On the flipside, in heavily damped rooms, the ADAMs would probably tend to sound dull.) In general, Focal along with KRK and Yamaha are more aiming towards nearfield use while ADAM, Kali and JBL are generally going for somewhat larger distances. (Exceptions obviously exist.)

If using a regular PEQ VST for speaker playback EQ (after using REW and a measurement mic) is too much of a hassle, I would consider getting Sonarworks or something. The SoundID Reference mic is a pretty good, rather low-noise omni if nothing else. (Lifehack: REW can load the calibration file as a measurement, after which you can devise an EQ for that.)

OP
V

vuljami

Thanks for all the replies so far!

I'll have a listen to the Kalis and Focals this week. Unfortunately none of my locals have the Adams right now, but I'll see if a friend can drive me to a store an hour away. Will bring my own laptop to apply EQ to the speakers according to your advice and to listen to my own mixes along with other music. I'll report on the test listening and my initial decision eventually.

Considered the T5V as well given the praise they've gotten here, but they don't reach quite as low as I'd wish.

Lord_Balkan

Thanks for all the replies so far!

I'll have a listen to the Kalis and Focals this week. Unfortunately none of my locals have the Adams right now, but I'll see if a friend can drive me to a store an hour away. Will bring my own laptop to apply EQ to the speakers according to your advice and to listen to my own mixes along with other music. I'll report on the test listening and my initial decision eventually.

Considered the T5V as well given the praise they've gotten here, but they don't reach quite as low as I'd wish.
Any update with your impressions?

OP
V

vuljami

Any update with your impressions?
Hey,

totally forgot to update, sorry about that.

Adams sounded nice overall. The tweeter deserves its praise. There was some irritating resonance in the lower midrange though, probably due to the light plastic cabinet.

Kalis sounded good as well, significantly less bright than the rest. All in all they're very different from the Adams and Focals, way more mid-forward. Despite all the praise they get for their clarity and separation, I didn't feel like it was THAT great but good nonetheless.

So I ended up going with the Alpha Evos. Really impressive low end, great stereo image and separation. However, after some weeks of listening I started to notice the shortcomings of the tweeter more and more. They're really unforgiving and 'tense' in lack of a better word (which is not always necessarily a bad thing), especially in the upper midrange, which was really fatiguing and not serving my needs. Probably wouldn't be as big of a problem for someone else.

So I ended up checking out the second hand options available in my price range, had some test listens and ended up buying Focal Shape 65s. I've had them for a couple months now and have absolutely zero regrets. They possess all the things I liked about the Alpha Evos (although the low end is not quite as astonishing) but without the tweeter harshness while still being very bright - the Alphas have an aluminium tweeter whereas the Shapes have an aluminium-magnesium mix.

Which one of the three speakers would I choose in hindsight? The Kalis... maybe... but I can't speak for anyone else but myself. They're all very competent and each of them have their strenghts and weaknesses - it really just comes down to preference between the three in my opinion.

So I ended up checking out the second hand options available in my price range, had some test listens and ended up buying Focal Shape 65s. I've had them for a couple months now and have absolutely zero regrets. They possess all the things I liked about the Alpha Evos (although the low end is not quite as astonishing) but without the tweeter harshness while still being very bright - the Alphas have an aluminium tweeter whereas the Shapes have an aluminium-magnesium mix.

I'm in a similar position... I was just about to order the IN-5's but a set of Focal Shape 65s have come up for a bargain price. Now I'm undecided and unfortunately I don't have the option of auditioning ANY of these same models in my town (except for maybe just the Adams).

dfuller

Major Contributor
I'm in a similar position... I was just about to order the IN-5's but a set of Focal Shape 65s have come up for a bargain price. Now I'm undecided and unfortunately I don't have the option of auditioning ANY of these same models in my town (except for maybe just the Adams).
Owned and worked on Shape 65s for a bit. I'd rather the Kalis.

dfuller

Major Contributor
Hmm. Interesting... by a long shot or more subjective? Can you put it into words?
The wide dispersion of the Shapes makes them just so, so bright in room. Excessively so.

delta76

Major Contributor
Good thread. I'm also wondering why in the thread: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...cal-alpha-65-evo-review-studio-monitor.28832/ they only have a preference score of 4.1, when amir likes them and they also measures pretty flat. Maybe its because of the pref. rating aren't near field... ?
very late reply, but pref score is made for far field listening (3m IIRC). those active monitors are meant to be put at 1m from your ear. @MZKM always discloses that when he calculates the pref score.

Slyman

very late reply, but pref score is made for far field listening (3m IIRC). those active monitors are meant to be put at 1m from your ear. @MZKM always discloses that when he calculates the pref score.
better late than never. Thanks :)

Top Bottom