• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Kali Audio LP-UNF

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
It’s really too bad that there is no subwoofer output on these. It will be a nice pairing with the new WS-6.2 if you could connect it all directly via USB-C.

Oh well, RCA would also work, but then the volume control is useless because you can’t control the sub. The volume control on the front of the speaker is one of the defining features of this product.

Hexspa

I initially thought these were $299/ea. and were going to be a step up from the LP-6v2. 0.8m is untenable for me given that my midi keyboard has to be at that distance when I'm not using it. Even so, given the distance, I'm curious what the distortion specs are since the absolute levels will be lower per subjective phon.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
So, they are finally available now. Not much info on them so far though.

Ellebob

Forum Donor
Some online retailers have shown them in stock for a couple of weeks. No reviews yet but I think Kali is still not a very well known name among musicians. If you're a musician and upgrade your monitors every decade or a musician getting their first set of monitors one might go towards more established brands before trying a new model by a relatively new brand. They are more likely following the latest and greatest in guitars, keyboards or whatever they play then be up to date on the the monitor/speaker market.

stevenswall

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think @stevenswall might have heard them... Maybe he has some more detailed insights for us?
There was music in the background at the release party, but a solid closed door dampened a lot of it, and an echoey room to simulate less than ideal conditions. (No treatment.)

Better than the UNF with coaxial drivers, not quite as even sounding as the larger LP models, though surprisingly good bass at low volumes relative to the LP6 they had there.

Couldn't tell you frequency by frequency, but I'd consider it if the LP6 is too big. The volume controls on it are convenient too vs around the back.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Well, I ordered them anyway to replace my LS50s at my desk which are a bit too big. I also ordered the new dual 6.5" sub. It should be arriving today. The volume control will be useless in this configuration, but my keyboard is closer anyway ;)

Ciavatta

I'd consider it if the LP6 is too big

... That is exactly my situation.

I really liked my LP-6 V2, but I had to flip them for a pair of iLoud MTM due to space constraints on the desk.

I'm happy-sh with the iLouds, but as I'm using them to play on a synthesizers setup, I'd like some more headroom.
Really looking forward to this new little Kalis review as I'm trying to resist the urge to buy the KH80, as they'll will be overkill for an hobbyist like me

uwotm8

Powered, not active. All the disadvantages of passive and active in the same box
Totally wrong. Active with bi-amping with amps in main piece. And with USB-DAC (poor one 24/48 but still) and proper volume control.

LP-6 V2 are US$400/pair, and feature a 6.5” driver
Yes but require way more space. And a source w/volume control cuz there's no digital inputs.

I'm not a Kali fanboy by any means but MM-6 seem a truly great product - for like extra $10-20 you get LP-6 with digital inputs, BT and remote.
And these small ones, while, well, looking ugly af, are actually true active bi-amped speakers and hopefully even properly tuned - unlike, say, same sized powered Crapsouns Eris 3.5/4.5. Maybe $300 is still a bit too much tho; for 200-250 these would be a no-brainer (again, if tuned properly) for a small desk.

dfuller

Major Contributor
Totally wrong. Active with bi-amping with amps in main piece. And with USB-DAC (poor one 24/48 but still) and proper volume control.
I have been corrected multiple times in this very thread. You can stop now.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Well, I ordered them anyway to replace my LS50s at my desk which are a bit too big. I also ordered the new dual 6.5" sub. It should be arriving today. The volume control will be useless in this configuration, but my keyboard is closer anyway ;)
So, received them today together with the sub. Haven’t had time to set them up, but will do tomorrow. First impressions on feel and visuals: they look decent enough. They are very lightweight though and are a bit plasticy. The tapered shape make them look even smaller than they are.

The new dual 6.5” sub looks and feels like a beast. It’s small enough though for under my desk. It’s quite heavy and feels substantial, maybe even a bit premium. It’s easily twice the weight of the small monitors combined :oops:

fredoamigo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor

sejarzo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Does that DAC spec mean that they only handle 24/48, or other rates up to and including 24/48?

Why do I ask? I bought a omni USB desktop microphone last year that was advertised at 24/192, so I assumed I could set it for 16/44. Nope...it only operates at 24/192. As if online calls require that...in mono? :facepalm:

Almost all of my content is 16/44, so that's the default for my system. I am not a musician and don't produce anything.

EDIT: for some reason, I didn't get any notification on YouTube that my question was answered last week. I assume this is because the DSP converts all analog to 24/48 anyway.

1708196481343.png

Last edited:

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Yup, can confirm that this is the case: 48 kHz only

I've now set it up so that the monitors are hooked up via USB-C, and the sub via the headphone output of the Macbook. Filtering I do in Element. It seems to work pretty well, but I seem to be losing a lot of gain somewhere though... Looks like it's the Aggregate Audio device for some reason. Edit: found my gain issues, they were hidden in the MIDI control panel.

A few to-do's though: I used a 3.5 mm to TRS, and the gain seems to be way too low, so I'll change to a 3.5mm to RCA. Also, I still need to add some damping to my workspace, which I hope I can do this week. And, these things need some kind of stand or another way to raise them a bit. I'll probably just 3D print some small feet for this: raising the front by about 3 cm should be enough. Once done, I'll make some measurements and dial in Dirac. I may also try hooking it all up the analog way via the subwoofer.

For now, though, they sound excellent, especially with the subwoofer crossover in place.

Last edited:

Haskil

Forum Donor
I have been corrected multiple times in this very thread. You can stop now.
You should add a comment to your first post saying so! Otherwise, you will constantly be criticized for something settled...

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
BTW, I suspect that the woofers are the same as used in the IN-UNF:

1708348706937.png

They look very much the identical.

dfuller

Major Contributor
You should add a comment to your first post saying so! Otherwise, you will constantly be criticized for something settled...
Can't edit it.

Ellebob

Forum Donor
We got some stock in, so I took a pair home to test. Haven't had much time and haven't measured except SPL for comparison. My son and neighbor gave some opinions.

Compared to LSX II. A lot of back and forth and both people guessed the wrong speaker they thought they were between speaker A and speaker B. Picture below tried on different locations between inside Kef, outside Kef and on stands.
Kali better highs and dynamics
Kef better bass, warmer sound
Mids - Tie
Appearance - Kef unanimous
Features - Kef
Value - Kali

Overall closer than I thought it would be.

Compared to IN-UNF with just my son for quick comparison
Vocals - IN-UNF. This was the biggest difference between them. Otherwise close. Maybe an edge to the IN-UNF for bass and the LP-UNF seemed brighter with more pronounced highs.
Appearance - He thought LP-INF for being less obtrusive. He liked being able to move the monitor back not having the bass module.
Placement flexibility - Tie. I say this because it took a bit to get the bass correct with the IN-UNF in my set up, but the satellite base makes it easy to angle the globes. The LP-UNF needs stands. I currently have them with some Auralex Mopads angled up.

I'm sure I will be testing more soon. Haven't used the WS-6.2 with them yet and I have one here. Normally, it is connected the the Kef. I had to disconnect it for the comparison. So, all testing was only speakers for this quick impromptu comparison.

Attachments

• PXL_20240220_000126660.jpg
    PXL_20240220_000126660.jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 203

Ellebob

Forum Donor
A couple notes.
When using BT on the LP-UNF volume was not controlled via BT. It made no difference when adjusting volume on my Pixel 8 Pro. Had to to use volume on the speaker.
Using THX Onyx DAC connected to my phone and using 3.5mm to RCA cable going to the Kali sounded noticeably better than BT using same source.
Haven't tried USB directly yet.

Top Bottom