• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

JDS Labs Atom DAC Review

debunker

From an era when the Atom amp was a trendsetter, to now where competition like the E30, SK mk2 and other AK4493 solutions exist, yes, price doesn't match performance.
It's like saying an older CPU like the 3770k is the same as the 9700k. Yes, the older is still enough for most purposes but it doesn't mean the newer one isn't better. Whether you can actually 'notice' there difference was never mentioned in my comment.

If I was feeling generous I'd call this a mischaracterization. At worst, flat out untrue. The SK mk2 has better SINAD performance, but falls way short on the 32-tone test vs the Atom. The E30 has modestly better SINAD and 32-tone vs Atom and are basically neck and neck for other measurements. But it's 30% more expensive, and not made in North America if that's a consideration for you. You mention "other AK4493 solutions", but there are none on the measurements index on this site that that offer this level of performance at a comparable price range. Someone else mentioned the Loxjie D10, but it's SINAD only matches the Atom and it has the (probably inconsequential) ESS hump.

In other words, Atom is the reigning champ in the under $100 DAC category. Price absolutely matches performance.

cshake

Forum Donor
I really want to get this, I've been waiting to match my Atom amp with a DAC for a while. However, the part that's bugging me is the need for yet another power adapter. Two wall warts that hog multiple spots on a power strip each, amp wants 16VAC and DAC accepts 15-16VAC but ships with a 15VAC adapter, really? Do they really have to be 1V different? How bad would it be to get a 16VAC supply that does more than 1.5A (like this one on digikey with screw terminals) and just drive both off the same secondary winding, would there be a ton of cross-talk or risk any damage?

I appreciate the engineering, I really like the performance as measured, it has all the inputs and outputs I need for my desktop use, and I like supporting manufacturing where people get paid living wages, but making the rats nest behind the computer even worse is unfortunate.

[edit]Ordered one anyway, hoping they'll come out with some cable simplification in the future.[/edit]

Last edited:

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
If I was feeling generous I'd call this a mischaracterization. At worst, flat out untrue. The SK mk2 has better SINAD performance, but falls way short on the 32-tone test vs the Atom. The E30 has modestly better SINAD and 32-tone vs Atom and are basically neck and neck for other measurements. But it's 30% more expensive, and not made in North America if that's a consideration for you. You mention "other AK4493 solutions", but there are none on the measurements index on this site that that offer this level of performance at a comparable price range. Someone else mentioned the Loxjie D10, but it's SINAD only matches the Atom and it has the (probably inconsequential) ESS hump.

In other words, Atom is the reigning champ in the under $100 DAC category. Price absolutely matches performance.
I mentioned loxjie D10 it has 5 dB better SINAD, cost's less, has optical input and headaphone Amp (all do not a great one), ESS hump is certainly something you won't hear. Topping E30 is 30$ more than Atom but you get display & remote. In the end Atom price is greater outside US (100+€).

Labjr

Major Contributor
I won't buy a DAC that doesn't play DSD and display some basic information. With the bugs that some of these products have, you have no idea what's going on inside a black box.

Yuno

I won't buy a DAC that doesn't play DSD and display some basic information. With the bugs that some of these products have, you have no idea what's going on inside a black box.
What bugs? They are reusing the exact same USB controller almost every single time, which is compatible with most modern operating systems without any third party drivers.

TheMarshal

Exactly, in EU, few months ago I paid for the Atom amp €162.5 (£129.95, crapy exchange rate)...
P.S. that's 183 USD in today's rate.

With the import fees in my country and the shipping, the import should be at around 140 euros, which is still a decent price. However, FedEx in Macedonia charges fees of 40 euros for processing the package, so the final price was 180 euros. It certainly lost the budget appeal - but it's a decent enough for the money.

debunker

I mentioned loxjie D10 it has 5 dB better SINAD,
Uh... no. Same SINAD as the Atom, 110 dB: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...phone-amplifier-audio-measurements-png.31956/

cost's less, has optical input and headaphone Amp (all do not a great one), ESS hump is certainly something you won't hear.
To reiterate, in absolute specs, the Atom wins in its price range. We both agree that the ESS hump is a bit overblown and not something to worry about in real world use, but we're talking about who has the best measured specs here. And in that respect, the Atom wins in its price range which was my original point.

In the end Atom price is greater outside US (100+€).

I concede on this. Outside of North America, there are probably cheaper options thanks to shipping, exchange, VAT etc. But inside the continent, it feels like a no-brainer at this price point. I'm not going to be ordering one because my Khadas Tone Board sounds just as great today--even with the ESS Hump that I can't hear--as it did when I bought it, but if it ever dies on me, the Atom DAC is likely what I'll get to match my Atom amp.

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
@debunker my bad it's two dB SINAD better than Atom as you can see in the picture in this very own review. It wins regarding futures, performance, price (in US and outside of it) and pretty much everything else. Its not the most elegant solution aesthetically but esthetics are arguable and no one will really stare at it.

Edit: did we meet regarding Atom headphone amp?

BP420

But jds is no longer sold in Germany by any resellers
I got the Atom amp from the UK www.hifiheadphones.co.uk They offer the option for eu plug. 130 british pounds, kinda expensive compared to us price, but at least it came fast to france.
I see you can preorder the atom dac from there too. Same price.

I think Topping E30 is a better option for people in EU. Metal case, extra inputs, no huge transformer and it's cheaper 130eur www.audiophonics.fr

P.S. My first post here. Long time lurker. :)

3125b

Major Contributor
130 british pounds, kinda expensive compared to us price, but at least it came fast to france.
Well, thats probably all changed with GB leaving the EU.

JDS really need a distributor in the EU with fair pricing.
Say 129€ for Atom AMP/DAC, that would make them worthwhile (the AMP at least).

thefsb

Addicted to Fun and Learning
It's like saying an older CPU like the 3770k is the same as the 9700k. Yes, the older is still enough for most purposes but it doesn't mean the newer one isn't better.
No. It's nothing like that. Thanks for making my point for me.

TurtlePaul

Addicted to Fun and Learning
How bad would it be to get a 16VAC supply that does more than 1.5A (like this one on digikey with screw terminals) and just drive both off the same secondary winding, would there be a ton of cross-talk or risk any damage?

I asked John this on the JDS labs blog. His response:

"This will result in ground loop, as you would bypass AC transformer isolation between the two devices. The separate linear regulators driven by a single AC outlet would create ground loop, likely audible. Strongly discouraged. "

Timbo2

I asked John this on the JDS labs blog. His response:

"This will result in ground loop, as you would bypass AC transformer isolation between the two devices. The separate linear regulators driven by a single AC outlet would create ground loop, likely audible. Strongly discouraged. "

Part of the reason I like JDS. I have a Subjective 3 EQ and asked the same question when I was running it with my O2. John replied with the same issue when I sent him an email with this same question. They are responsive and care about their customers.

My current stack is a hodgepodge, but it's grown on me - bottom is an Atom that replaced and O2, middle is a Topping D50s, and the top is the Subjective 3.

I gave up and put all three components and their wall warts on an octopus extension cable.

Thorskin

Damn, i was really looking forward to this to see what they were going to bring to the table and its such a letdown in MY opinion.
It has nothing to offer except that it matches the Atom for stacking.....
I think that is the only reason to buy one of these as there are so many other DACs that already do this (and some in much smaller form)
Sorry, I just think there are too many DACs flooding the market right now and if they all sound the same now, they really need to start focusing on features (inputs etc)
IMO

Last edited:

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Damn, i was really looking forward to this to see what they were going to bring to the table and its such a letdown in MY opinion.
It has nothing to offer except that it matches the Atom for stacking.....
I think that is the only reason to buy one of these as there are so many other DACs that already do this (and some in much smaller form)
What would you have had had it do for the price? And for some more money?

Top Bottom