• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required as is 20 years of participation in forums (not all true). There are daily reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

JDS Atom Amp+ Review (Headphone Amplifier)

Suppa92

I'm powering my atom+ stack with a simulated sine wave UPS. Is it ok or could that affect the sound quality in a negative way?
@jseaber any advice if you're not busy. :)

Jimster480

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I was just checking this out on their site, glad to see there is a measurement here and it is great.
Debating on getting this stack for my "downstairs desk" now that I am mostly situated in my new house.

pk500

I was just checking this out on their site, glad to see there is a measurement here and it is great.
Debating on getting this stack for my "downstairs desk" now that I am mostly situated in my new house.
It's a terrific stack, period. A veritable steal at $220 new.

Plus JDS' customer service is incredible. Company founder John Seaber (JDS himself!) personally answers my emails to support when I have questions about the product. John usually answers within an hour or two. One time he answered me at 11 p.m. on a Sunday night! :)

zack20cb

Hi, simple question: is there some sort of trick, or modification that I can do to avoid having to pull out the headphones to engage preamp mode?

I hate to say it, as I’ve been very happy with my Atom Amp+, but Topping L30 V2 is tempting me with its physical switch for preamp/headphone selection.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I ordered the JDS Labs ATOM DAC+ and had instant invoice email and within 3 hours it was in Fedex hands and thereafter 3 days delivered in Canada. I also ordered a Schiit Magni Heresy headphone amp and invoicing and delivery where the same. The Heresy is the black colored model in the pics.

The small RCA cable from JDS Labs is fantastic as it holds it's shape.

Dunring

Forum Donor
Just got one of these the other day, have two of the original stacks but it's the first + version. Wow, on the Beyerdynamic T90 they sound exceptional, just tons of power in low gain for 250 ohm stuff. Going to leave it setup until this week when a Black edition DT880 600 ohm is coming in to see how it does. I usually have a Topping A90/D10b stack and to switch I can't hear anything I'm missing on the Atom stack. Only real downside is not being XLR with the added voltage which is helpful for the He6se. Quiet noise floor even plugged into a hub on the monitor which I know has some noise on other DAC's, even all the way up on pause no noise. They figured something out to eliminate that.
May keep this stack as my daily driver since the T90's are my new permanent headphones.

Jimster480

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Just got one of these the other day, have two of the original stacks but it's the first + version. Wow, on the Beyerdynamic T90 they sound exceptional, just tons of power in low gain for 250 ohm stuff. Going to leave it setup until this week when a Black edition DT880 600 ohm is coming in to see how it does. I usually have a Topping A90/D10b stack and to switch I can't hear anything I'm missing on the Atom stack. Only real downside is not being XLR with the added voltage which is helpful for the He6se. Quiet noise floor even plugged into a hub on the monitor which I know has some noise on other DAC's, even all the way up on pause no noise. They figured something out to eliminate that.
May keep this stack as my daily driver since the T90's are my new permanent headphones.
It is quite eye opening (or maybe ear opening?) when you test an affordable stack and it sounds the same as an expensive one. The JDS Atom stuff is great!

Top Bottom