• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

JBL Studio 520c vs ELAC Debut 2.0 C5.2?

PS83Tec

I currently have the 520C in use with my Studio 580's but came across a local deal for the ELAC Debut 2.0 C5.2 for cheap but wondering if it's even worth trying. I know the Elac is not a 3-way but would it be even slightly better then the 520c? AVR is Denon x1600h

delta76

Major Contributor
Is it possible for you to try and return the elac if you don't like it? 520c is not very good to start with so it's hard to say, and apparently no body has measured the elac
how much are you getting it for ?

OP
P

PS83Tec

Is it possible for you to try and return the elac if you don't like it? 520c is not very good to start with so it's hard to say, and apparently no body has measured the elac
how much are you getting it for ?
Prob can't return it. $150 is the price. the 520c sounds ok to me but some of the reviews I've read give it not the best rating so I'm not sure what I'm missing out on.

fieldcar

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Prob can't return it. $150 is the price. the 520c sounds ok to me but some of the reviews I've read give it not the best rating so I'm not sure what I'm missing out on.
I've run the 520C, then the 530, and now the THX-365C. The criticism for the 520C is far too harsh. On-axis listening is satisfying after room correction(I have audyssey XT32), and you can get plenty of SPL out of it if you cross over at 100Hz. If you don't listen as loud, you can keep it at 80Hz. The horizontal off-axis lobing(directivity) of the 520C in seats out of the sweet spot isn't terrible. It just sounds slightly lower in volume as you get away from the sweet spot. To me, the biggest upgrade in the 530 and 365C over the 520C is having voices sound fuller/throatier. The uniform directivity is just a nice bonus for my family and visitors who all could care less about directivity and fidelity. In the end, it was a marginal upgrade compared to more/better subwoofers and audyssey room correction.

CEA2034%20--%20JBL%20Studio%20520c%20Center%20Channel.png

CEA2034%20--%20Monoprice%20Monolith%20THX-365C.png

AwesomeSauce2015

I have the 520c in my parents' home theater along with 4x 580 towers in a 5.1 config.
The 520c sounds good, in my opinion. It can handle getting loud and blends in pretty well with the towers.
Yeah, it doesn't measure perfectly on a klippel test, but it does handle SPL plenty fine for our use.
Could we get better sound with something else? Probably. But for the <$100 we paid for it, I'd say its pretty good value.

For the record, the receiver we are running is the Yamaha RX-V6a. It has plenty of amp power, but only "OK" room correction in my book.
Of course, if I was to build a system for me, I'd be using custom 3-way speakers, but I don't have the space in College Station...

Top Bottom