• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

JBL Stage A130 Review (speaker)

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
i always wondered why the Arena 130 went from 7" to the 5.5" of the Stage 130?

i have a pair of the Arenas and that are pretty damn good for 7" and the money.

Again at RRP.... hmm... but when they're half price or less as typical of Harman sales... well...

375HP2482

For smaller enclosures, the smaller woofer will usually provide more extended bass response. Replacing it with a larger woofer tends to make the response overdamped with less bass. IOW, larger woofers require larger enclosures for equivalent low-frequency corner.

Head_Unit

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Gee these are inexpensive right now. Tempting to get 5...or what is it 9 to run Atmos...not too big (at one location I'm looking to get towers off the floor).
- If right smack against a wall, what would y'all comment if I blocked off the ports (and stuffed these, assuming they are not)
- That midrange peak, Audyssey/ARC/Dirac should be able to tame that down?

Juampa1989

Hello dear, I am thinking of buying the JBL Stage A130 and selling my Klipsch RP-160M, I just have one question. Before lis klipsch I had a jbl arena 120 and I changed them for these because in the arena the voice was heard as if they were underwater. I don't know if the same thing would happen with these? Because I still use the equipment to watch movies and if I can't even hear the voices it will be a problem.
I await your advice.
Unfortunately, because of where I live I can't test speakers.

Teeter

What equipment is driving your current speakers? IMO, buying the A130 is a few steps down from the RP-160M. If you don't have a good center channel, dialog is most questionable. I tried the A-130 a year ago and is okay for movies and very neutral to MY ears. Do you have a 5.1 surround system?

Juampa1989

Hello, I am currently using the fosi v3, in stereo 2.0. No center channel and no subwoofer.
When I used the Arena 120, voices were difficult to hear in movies and the excess bass bothered me. I think the Klipsch have a quiet bass, I like it, and the voices are heard very well, especially in movies. Although I do consider them a little bright, when bells or high-pitched metallic instruments sound it is a bit annoying.
I don't know if the stage 130s would work better for me, I'm afraid of selling them and the voices being lost, for films it would hurt me. In addition, I only hear through one ear, so I don't pick up sound effects very well.

Juampa1989

Since I can't try the stage 130, maybe it's better to stick with the Klipsch because I already know what they sound like and well, even though they aren't planar speakers, I can hear them clearly.

375HP2482

I don't know if the stage 130s would work better for me, I'm afraid of selling them and the voices being lost, for films it would hurt me. In addition, I only hear through one ear, so I don't pick up sound effects very well.
It might make a small difference with the slightly raised mids in the Stage A-130s. However, understanding dialogue in modern movies is a common problem these days regardless of equipment. See this article from the NYT.

Juampa1989

It might make a small difference with the slightly raised mids in the Stage A-130s. However, understanding dialogue in modern movies is a common problem these days regardless of equipment. See this article from the NYT.
Dear thank you very much, then I will stick with the klipsch. I can't try the 130, I don't want to risk it. My living room is an open wooden living room, it's not dedicated at all either.

Teeter

Yes, stay with the Klipsch that you have. I will give away my A-130's, couple Klipsch centers, and psb Imagine Center channel.

Head_Unit

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Before lis klipsch I had a jbl arena 120 and I changed them for these because in the arena the voice was heard as if they were underwater. I don't know if the same thing would happen with these?
I don't know either but I agree with @Juampa1989 keep what you have if it is clear.
- As a loudspeaker engineer my vague rule of thumb is to get a clear total improvement in a speaker (instead of just trading for different imperfections) you need to spend like 3X as much.
- Some places (Crutchfield for one so I hear) will let you try at home with inexpensive return/restock fees.
- 3-way systems with a separate midrange will tend to have clearer vocals. Maybe not always, but the dedicated midrange helps from a design point of view.

Juampa1989

I don't know either but I agree with @Juampa1989 keep what you have if it is clear.
- As a loudspeaker engineer my vague rule of thumb is to get a clear total improvement in a speaker (instead of just trading for different imperfections) you need to spend like 3X as much.
- Some places (Crutchfield for one so I hear) will let you try at home with inexpensive return/restock fees.
- 3-way systems with a separate midrange will tend to have clearer vocals. Maybe not always, but the dedicated midrange helps from a design point of view.
If I thought that for it to be a significant leap I should aspire to something like the kef r3

Thank you very much

MJC310

How do you implement the PEQ fixes that Amir suggests in his initial review? Have the WIIM Pro which has (4) and not sure how to make the suggested adjustments. Currently have everything crossed over at 80hz in my Yamaha and running with dual subs. Thank you!

Attachments

• IMG_9845.jpeg
    IMG_9845.jpeg
    92.2 KB · Views: 51

ruinarantes

I'm a beginner and I'm trying to get my first stereo setup for music. My budget was meager so I got some considerations from cheapaudioman videos. I got an Aiyima T9 Pro and I was getting a JBL Stage A130. I got some good feedback from other guys on youtube comments who paired T9 Pro and A130. I intend to use the T9 Pro until I have some budget for a Yamaha or something else. But the store I was getting the JBLs ran out of them and offered me a JBL Studio 620 for $340 while the A130 is very expensive in the other stores, around $340-$360. Unfortunately, there are not many options where I live and it's pretty hard to find something good for less than $300. I have no clue if the JBL Studio 620 would be a good match. I saw that the 620's is slightly lower than A130, 84 dB. My room is around 20m2 and I like to listen to rock/heavy metal music. What do you guys think about it?

tw 2022

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I'm a beginner and I'm trying to get my first stereo setup for music. My budget was meager so I got some considerations from cheapaudioman videos. I got an Aiyima T9 Pro and I was getting a JBL Stage A130. I got some good feedback from other guys on youtube comments who paired T9 Pro and A130. I intend to use the T9 Pro until I have some budget for a Yamaha or something else. But the store I was getting the JBLs ran out of them and offered me a JBL Studio 620 for $340 while the A130 is very expensive in the other stores, around $340-$360. Unfortunately, there are not many options where I live and it's pretty hard to find something good for less than $300. I have no clue if the JBL Studio 620 would be a good match. I saw that the 620's is slightly lower than A130, 84 dB. My room is around 20m2 and I like to listen to rock/heavy metal music. What do you guys think about it?
jump on that 6 series offer...

cbracer

Forum Donor
The 84 dB is very low so you really need a strong amp if you want to turn up the volume. Normal listening no problem but the loud the T9 Pro won't do it. The 620 is a different class of speaker than the A130, sound and quality.

ruinarantes

The 84 dB is very low so you really need a strong amp if you want to turn up the volume. Normal listening no problem but the loud the T9 Pro won't do it. The 620 is a different class of speaker than the A130, sound and quality.
Well, I see now that the 620 is a higher quality speaker. But when you say normal listening, I think about what it would be. I live in an apartment so I can't put my music too loud. But I wouldn't like to get a sound that does not fill the room or sounds thin and not exciting. As I got good reference from a130/T9 pro users, do those 2 dB make a big difference?

I know it would be much easier if I could listen to the speakers somewhere before buying but online shopping is all I can get here.

Laserjock

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Welcome to ASR. What is your location?

Erici

Forum Donor
Well, I see now that the 620 is a higher quality speaker. But when you say normal listening, I think about what it would be. I live in an apartment so I can't put my music too loud. But I wouldn't like to get a sound that does not fill the room or sounds thin and not exciting. As I got good reference from a130/T9 pro users, do those 2 dB make a big difference?

I know it would be much easier if I could listen to the speakers somewhere before buying but online shopping is all I can get here.
Here is a link to an online calculator that will tell you how loud (in dB) the music will be based on speaker sensitivity and amplifier output. It also shows the relative loudness of various environments. At a normal listening distances you should be fine.

Top Bottom