• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

JBL M2 versus 4367 Shootout

NorthSky

Major Contributor
Canada West Coast/Vancouver Island/Victoria area
"Whether or not the M2 or 4367 is a better value may come down to exactly what amp you want to pair with the 4367 and how much it costs.

I finally got some details on differences between the 4367 and the M2. While they are mostly the same speaker, here is a list of a few of the modifications that may cause someone to lean toward one or the other:

The M2 and 4367 use different waveguides and crossover networks. The woofers are slightly different - the M2 uses the 2216nd, and the 4367 uses the 2216nd-1 which has a resonance that is slightly lower in frequency. The M2 utilizes DSP processing which has trade-offs. It does allow the M2 woofer to extend lower in frequency, but if you are an analog audio enthusiast you may not want to be going through a separate digital DSP section.

The drivers themselves have the same power handling. Since it is geared more toward the consumer market, the 300 watts is a conservative power rating for the 4367. "

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I bet the m2 wins that one. It's much bigger and is DSP'd out of the box down to 20hz. If you could hear the 4367 with a crossover to a pair of jl audio subs and Acourate DSP, the 4367 would be a much better challenger.
Dallas, If you don't mind me asking, which subs are you running to compliment your 4367's?
I'm just a nosy son of a gun. ;)
TIA

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
<start of mini-rant> JBL models are pretty confusing to say the least. They have too many speakers models to remember, and the lineup spans from <$200 speakers, to >$50K speakers . JBL speakers seem to have been good and for the longest time, but for some odd reasons, perhaps only known to psychologists, American Audiophiles have all but shunned JBL. It doesn't register.
The psychological factor is stronger than we give it credit in audiophile perception and not of the audio sort ..of his/her reality and surroundings. Audiophiles don't fully trust their ears: I did hear a JBL 3-way horn and the sound was sublime. I also heard a TAD speaker and it sounded good too. within the same time span I heard a Magico Q3 and love it to this day. I recounted my recollection with all honesty to WBF (then it was virtually the only Audio forum I frequented , now I frequent 2 ) but didn't mention the JBL... Might have been subliminal but the darn thing sounded gooooood, yet I didn't mention in my report .. My explanation was that it might have been a case of the music playing too well on particular transducers... and it just went out of my memory ...
All that to say that very few audiophiles will want to have anything to do with Crown amps, with fan on top of that (or wherever these are placed on the amps :)). People have derided DallasJustice for his decision to replace the Giyas G3 with ....gasp :eek: JBL 4367. Now you would be an audiophile and use .... Crown amplifiers complete with built in processors for Room Acoustics!!!! in a system you would claim to be as good as that of a >$100K speaker and >$50 K amp!!????? WTF!??
<end of mini rant>
I am more and more interested in Horns and Waveguide speakers. I would like to include in my audition the very famous and from many accounts superb sounding Synergy horns especially he SH-50 from the brain of one of the most gifted speaker designer out there one Tom Danley. The Synergy horns are pretty unique in the industry and by all accounts, extremely good sounding speaker and with the kind of sensitivity to make people drool 100 dB/W/m.... Capable of taking continuously 1000 watts for an SPL of 127 dB !!!! and peak of 4000 Watts for then an SPL of 133 dB !!!!!!!! Requires subs , dropping very quickly around 60 Hz. I am also immensely interested in the Geddes New Summa .
I'll report to you of my auditions. They will start soon perhaps beginning with a trip to RMAF: I am an audiophile after all :)

Last edited:
OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Tony alluded to an active TAD do you know which model they have activated or is it a completely new design?
Keith

Phelonious Ponk

Addicted to Fun and Learning
"Whether or not the M2 or 4367 is a better value may come down to exactly what amp you want to pair with the 4367 and how much it costs.

I finally got some details on differences between the 4367 and the M2. While they are mostly the same speaker, here is a list of a few of the modifications that may cause someone to lean toward one or the other:

The M2 and 4367 use different waveguides and crossover networks. The woofers are slightly different - the M2 uses the 2216nd, and the 4367 uses the 2216nd-1 which has a resonance that is slightly lower in frequency. The M2 utilizes DSP processing which has trade-offs. It does allow the M2 woofer to extend lower in frequency, but if you are an analog audio enthusiast you may not want to be going through a separate digital DSP section.

The drivers themselves have the same power handling. Since it is geared more toward the consumer market, the 300 watts is a conservative power rating for the 4367. "

Somebody is going to have to help me understand this. they have different cabinets, different woofers, a different waveguide, one is active, one passive, and they are "mostly the same speaker?" Color me confused.

Tim

Phelonious Ponk

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I would like to include in my audition the very famous and from many accounts superb sounding Synergy horns especially he SH-50 from the brain of one of the most gifted speaker designer out there one Tom Danley. The Synergy horns are pretty unique in the industry and by all accounts, extremely good sounding speaker and with the kind of sensitivity to make people drool 100 dB/W/m.... Capable of taking continuously 1000 watts for an SPL of 127 dB !!!! and peak of 4000 Watts for then an SPL of 133 dB !!!!!!!! Requires subs , dropping very quickly around 60 Hz. I am also immensely interested in the Geddes New Summa .
I'll report to you of my auditions. They will start soon perhaps beginning with a trip to RMAF: I am an audiophile after all :)

Yeah, I think there's a 12-step program for that.

Tim

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
They use the same two drivers Tim!
Keith

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
<start of mini-rant> JBL models are pretty confusing to say the least. They have too many speakwrs to remember and the line span from $200 speakers for PCs to >$50K speakers . For starters JBL speakers seem to have been good and consistently for the longest time but for some odd reasons perhaps only known to psychologists, the American Audiophiles have all but shunned JBL. It doesn't register.
The psychological factor is stronger than we give it credit in audiophile perception and not of the audio sort ..of his/her reality and surroundings. Audiophiles don't fully trust their ears: I did hear a JBL 3-way horn and the sound was sublime. I also heard a TAD speaker and it sounded good too. within the same time span I heard a Magico Q3 and love it to this day. I recounted my recollection with all honesty to WBF (then it was virtually the only Audio forum I frequented , now I frequent 2 ) but didn't mention the JBL... Might have been subliminal but the darn thing sounded gooooood, yet I didn't mention in my report .. My explanation was that it might have been a case of the music playing too well on particular transducers... and it just went out of my memory ...
All that to say that very few audiophiles will want to have anything to do with Crown amps, with fan on top of that (or wherever these are placed on the amps :)). People have derided DallasJustice for his decision to replace the Giyas G3 with ....gasp :eek: JBL 4367. Now you would be an audiophile and use .... Crown amplifiers complete with built in processors for Room Acoustics!!!! in a system you would claim to be as good as that of a >$100K speaker and >$50 K amp!!????? WTF!??
<end of mini rant>
I am more and more interested in Horns and Waveguide speakers. I would like to include in my audition the very famous and from many accounts superb sounding Synergy horns especially he SH-50 from the brain of one of the most gifted speaker designer out there one Tom Danley. The Synergy horns are pretty unique in the industry and by all accounts, extremely good sounding speaker and with the kind of sensitivity to make people drool 100 dB/W/m.... Capable of taking continuously 1000 watts for an SPL of 127 dB !!!! and peak of 4000 Watts for then an SPL of 133 dB !!!!!!!! Requires subs , dropping very quickly around 60 Hz. I am also immensely interested in the Geddes New Summa .

A very familiar rant. LOL
http://audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/introductions-anyone.65/page-4#post-15872
pwk.jpg

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
A few notes:

1. Michael has started some kind of movement with his purchase of 4367. Many people are trying to listen to them and/or been to his house and most impressed. Harman should hire him as their evangelist but can't afford his hourly rate. :D

2. You are so right with the reaction of Americans to the JBL line. Almost all of their "luxury" sales (Everest, etc.) are in Asia where they cherish the look and the sound of these products as they listen to classic American music.

3. The M2 was the first joint design between the luxury group and "Pro." Traditionally they were rivals and not wanting to adopt the other group's virtues. This is why I think the M2 has been such a success (in Pro world and some outside). With that success behind them, there should be more products of this kind.

4. JBL products sold through the Pro channel are sold at much lower margin than luxury speakers through high-end dealers. The Pro channel comes with no hand holding, often no demo products, etc. and the customer specs them rather than the dealer suggesting. They also run on high volume and hence can afford the low margins. What this means is that traditional high-end retailers won't touch them with a 10 foot pole. This is why it is so difficult to find a place to hear them.

NorthSky

Major Contributor
This, an audio science review forum. The M2 and 4367 are very similar from what I've read; and you can check JBL official home page:
http://www.jblpro.com/www/products/recording-broadcast/m2/m2-master-reference-monitor#.V6oWJ5grK00
http://www.jblsynthesis.com/tl_files/catalog//jblsynthesis/4367/JBL 4367 Spec Sheet.pdf

I'm no expert but I think a complete JBL Synthesis surround sound system setup would be awesome for watching Dolby Atmos 4K Blu-ray movies.
A minimum of 11.2 speakers. And it comes with Auto Room EQ. Is it Trinnov! Is it Acourate? Is it Dirac Live? ...I think it's Trinnov with space mapping.
Yes, it is. But does it have DTS:X yet?

Just imagine for a second; eleven M2s all around you, including four above your head, and a minimum of two JBL subwoofers, and you're watching Tron: Legacy in Dolby Vision/Atmos/4K/UHD/HDR and on Blu-ray. It must be one of the best ride in immersive sound.

We live in exciting times, with kids playing Pokemon Go on their tablets and even in Rio! Do they use JBL speakers in Rio, like for the opening ceremonies?
If not do you know what brand of speakers and amps they used?

Last edited:

dallasjustice

Major Contributor
image.png

A friend came over to my house a few weeks ago to hear the 4367 and ordered a pair as soon as he got home. I'd welcome anyone over to my house to listen. I am proud of the way the system sounds. Everyone who hears it is shocked. JBL is for the true music lover. It's not for audiophiles.

As long as I get a free pass to CEDIA under a secret name and get to hear the Harman demo room, I'm happy.

Michael Wolf

A few notes:

1. Michael has started some kind of movement with his purchase of 4367. Many people are trying to listen to them and/or been to his house and most impressed. Harman should hire him as their evangelist but can't afford his hourly rate. :D

2. You are so right with the reaction of Americans to the JBL line. Almost all of their "luxury" sales (Everest, etc.) are in Asia where they cherish the look and the sound of these products as they listen to classic American music.

3. The M2 was the first joint design between the luxury group and "Pro." Traditionally they were rivals and not wanting to adopt the other group's virtues. This is why I think the M2 has been such a success (in Pro world and some outside). With that success behind them, there should be more products of this kind.

4. JBL products sold through the Pro channel are sold at much lower margin than luxury speakers through high-end dealers. The Pro channel comes with no hand holding, often no demo products, etc. and the customer specs them rather than the dealer suggesting. They also run on high volume and hence can afford the low margins. What this means is that traditional high-end retailers won't touch them with a 10 foot pole. This is why it is so difficult to find a place to hear them.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pio

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
View attachment 2414
A friend came over to my house a few weeks ago to hear the 4367 and ordered a pair as soon as he got home. I'd welcome anyone over to my house to listen. I am proud of the way the system sounds. Everyone who hears it is shocked. JBL is for the true music lover. It's not for audiophiles.

As long as I get a free pass to CEDIA under a secret name and get to hear the Harman demo room, I'm happy.

Michael Wolf
Umm.. You worked out the effect of all that hair on your frequency response?

Does it help with slap (head) echo? :D

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

NorthSky

Major Contributor

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
HiFi is a fashion business.
When I was working in France I was amazed that the brands which had rave reviews in the UK press were of no particular reputation in France, and vice versa.
One only needs to see the flip of "value" of vintage classics following positive reports to realise that most audiophiles are drawn to whatever is the flavour of the month.

Top Bottom