• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

JBL M2 versus 4367 Shootout

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor

Phelonious Ponk

Addicted to Fun and Learning
So you're going to see if you like the sound of passive crossover distortions and a relative lack of driver control? :)

Tim

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Well yes, but I thought it might be Intersting to determine the degree of difference, ridiculous really as the wave guides are completely different.
Keith

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
I am trying to arrange a 'shootout' between JBLs passive 4367 and their active M2

You're testing a lot of gear (by my feeble standards) already now...

That would make at least 5 sets of speakers, plus the Superstream and Phison and Prism and Weiss and... what else?

I'm busy enough just testing what I've had for years against itself, can't really imagine trying to pick from and promote among so many peers.

Makes me glad I'm not a Desperate Dealer.

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
I am 'testing' the Manger C1's right now with Ryan Adams at Carnegie Hall, they are passing with flying colours.
I just made a list of interesting loudspeakers and the 4367 and M2s are on the list, and I like horns.
Keith

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
I am sure you have an opinion as an M2 user?
Keith

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I am sure you have an opinion as an M2 user?
Keith
The M2 is great but I have yet to hear the 4367. M2 should outperform the 4367 but question is, whether it can justify its cost difference.

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Amir how is the M2 sold in the US, here you can purchase as a 'pro' package with the Crown amps or an 'audiophile' package with the ML amps, needless to say one is much more expensive than the other.
Keith

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Dang you Keith, you get all the toys. ;)

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Amir how is the M2 sold in the US, here you can purchase as a 'pro' package with the Crown amps or an 'audiophile' package with the ML amps, needless to say one is much more expensive than the other.
Keith
That is how it is sold. You can however get exceptions to let the customer use their own amps. Whether they do it for every dealer, I don't know but with the ones that know what they are doing, they will allow it (concern is blowing up the amps and blaming it on Harman).

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I will try to hear both and perhaps lose all my hardly accumulated audiophile creds :(.. What not to like if they are they are purported to be? $20 K and be done. I still, however like the idea of multiple subs .. Seems to me the way we hear bass there is more to it than the FR we measure at one point in a room. Bass is IMO a whole room affair.

Last edited:

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The Full M2 package comes with room correction including multi-sub optimization Frantz. So you don't lose that ability at all.
Ok! You're selling:mad: the stuff to me now ? :D... From interested to much more interested.:eek:

NorthSky

Major Contributor
Canada West Coast/Vancouver Island/Victoria area
The M2 is the pro version, with its own amplification (Crown mono amps) and DSP EQ → $20,000

The 4367 is the consumer version, normal where you buy your own amps and DSP chips in the box (pre/pro) for the Room EQ → $15,000
_______

I've read some, and the M2 is the catalyst, the apotheosis of JBL speaker's expansion into the scientific stratosphere from HK genesis team.
Not many comparisons though; and both models are really liked by many. I would think the M2 for people who want simplicity, the full package.
_______

http://www.jblsynthesis.com/tl_files/catalog/jblsynthesis/4367/JBL Synthesis 4367 White Paper.pdf
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/M2System/
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/247050-jbl-m2-poors.html
_______

Aesthetically, they look boxy, not attractive. But in audiophile circles does that count? No. In ultra hi-end circles, yes.
...A lot cheaper than the BeoLab 90s. The BL 90...a nice friendly decor design? ...Yes, futuristic and unique plus all that internal amplification and acoustic feature.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Let's go shopping!

Theoretical Choice:

4 M2 pro systems (8 speakers)

1 Beolab 90 pair

Hmmm...

dallasjustice

Major Contributor
I bet the m2 wins that one. It's much bigger and is DSP'd out of the box down to 20hz. If you could hear the 4367 with a crossover to a pair of jl audio subs and Acourate DSP, the 4367 would be a much better challenger.

The interesting comparison is the waveguides. They are both SOTA waveguides. The m2 probably has wider off axis linearity in both planes. The 4367 probably has more of the focused off axis sound. I bet the difference is similar to the Beolab's different settings for one listener versus a wider sweet spot. The m2 will have a much wider vertical and lateral sweet spot.

Phelonious Ponk

Addicted to Fun and Learning
[QUOTE="NorthSky, post: 20988, member: 8"]The M2 is the pro version, with its own amplification (Crown mono amps) and DSP EQ → $20,000

The 4367 is the consumer version, normal where you buy your own amps and DSP chips in the box (pre/pro) for the Room EQ → $15,000

_______

I've read some, and the M2 is the catalyst, the apotheosis of JBL speaker's expansion into the scientific stratosphere from HK genesis team.
Not many comparisons though; and both models are really liked by many. I would think the M2 for people who want simplicity, the full package.
_______

http://www.jblsynthesis.com/tl_files/catalog/jblsynthesis/4367/JBL Synthesis 4367 White Paper.pdf
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/M2System/
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/247050-jbl-m2-poors.html
_______

Aesthetically, they look boxy, not attractive. But in audiophile circles does that count? No. In ultra hi-end circles, yes.
...A lot cheaper than the BeoLab 90s. The BL 90...a nice friendly decor design? ...Yes, futuristic and unique plus all that internal amplification and acoustic feature.[/QUOTE]

Sorry, this is not accurate. Yes, the M2s are active and come in packages with amps, and the 4367s are passive, allowing audiophiles to choose their own amps, but they are not versions of each other, they are different designs.

Tim

Top Bottom