• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

jbl hdi-1600

dlazer11

JBL-HDI-1600 How does a speaker owner go about testing and modifying a speaker with PEQ? I'm specifically referring to the review of this model-and the writer's use of of it to flatten out peaks, dips and phase issues with speakers that generally test out well? Is there an app that can do it or does the owner have to buy equipment for this purpose?

NTK

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Welcome to ASR.

You can find the PEQ settings here.

If your source is a computer, here is a big list of EQ software.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
If using Windows install EQ APO and then Install Peace Equalizer, disable auto updates for the Peace EQ so you don't lose settings when a auto update occurs. From now on use Peace PEQ, buy one of these calibrated microphones and install REW (Room EQ Wizard). Then if you have questions we can get moving along from there.

If you are using Mac install this or this for the PEQ.

Theriverlethe

Shouldn’t the frequencies below the Schroeder frequency be compensated in room? It’s debatable that anything above the Schroeder frequency needs correction with this speaker.

AwesomeSauce2015

JBL-HDI-1600 How does a speaker owner go about testing and modifying a speaker with PEQ? I'm specifically referring to the review of this model-and the writer's use of of it to flatten out peaks, dips and phase issues with speakers that generally test out well? Is there an app that can do it or does the owner have to buy equipment for this purpose?
This question has many parts, and therefore many answers.

Q1: How do I apply PEQ to a speaker?
A: You can apply it through software (Like Equalizer APO) or through hardware (like a miniDSP). Though, you probably should do some research into the differences between PEQ (Parametric EQ) and graphic EQs.

Q2: What is the deal with Amirm's use of EQ in his HDI-1600 review?
A: If you notice, in the "CEA2034" graph, between 10,000hz and 20,000hz (10^4 -> -the next line-), the frequency response dips by a few db. The audibility of this dip is debatable due to various psychoacoustic effects. Additionally, the true nature of this dip is uncertain due to various issues when measuring horn tweeters.
From my understanding, he applied EQ in order to attempt to correct the dip, but found basically no difference.

Note: PEQ alone does not fix phase issues. In order to fix those, you would need to implement FIR filtering. This gets far more complicated, and is beyond the scope of this post.

Now for my 2 cents:
For the HDI-1600, the only real frequency response issues I see are below 600hz. However, given that a typical room will completely butcher everything below 400hz, and that you will need EQ in order to correct for any room modes at play, these are not really big issues.
The major strengths of the HDI-1600 are the good directivity and high output capability of its horn tweeter, which JBL seems to have done a good job of tuning.
If you are concerned about a few db dip between 10khz and 20khz, then you might as well lock your head in a vise since (with any speaker, mind you), moving a few degrees off-axis will cause a few db dip in that region.

So in conclusion, you really only need EQ for room modes with the HDI-1600s, as they are basically perfect out of the box. However, if you prefer a different house curve, then you could use software or hardware to implement EQ.

For what it's worth, I use Equalizer APO to implement my audio system's crossover and EQ (2 subs + 2 mains). It works pretty well, though I am looking to alter things...

Top Bottom