• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

JBL 708P Review (Professional Monitor)

birkbott

I don't use Spotify, but there are several places that can have volume controls Source device. Spotify app. Volumio. SHD. Speakers. If Windows is the source, there are volume controls in at least Windows and the SHD drivers. I'm not sure what syncs with what, and it seems to vary by software version. I turn windows to 100%, drivers to 100%, and playback software to 100% then use the SHD volume knob for actual volume. Literally 4 places to control volume, and I bet somewhere Windows has an extra volume control.
Yeah I’ll check again, maybe it’s the Spotify app, I’m using an iPhone

beefkabob

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
All my 708p settings set to maximum.

Attachments

• PXL_20231225_175318997.jpg
    PXL_20231225_175318997.jpg
    262.6 KB · Views: 56
  • PXL_20231225_175300375.jpg
    PXL_20231225_175300375.jpg
    391.3 KB · Views: 60
  • PXL_20231225_175241556.jpg
    PXL_20231225_175241556.jpg
    208.3 KB · Views: 57

birkbott

You use +4 db with the SHD? I’ve been using -10 maybe that’s one problem. Does input sensitivity affect the AES input?

Anyway I updated Volumio and it seems like maybe it’s louder but I have to wait until the extended family leaves to crank it.

beefkabob

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You use +4 db with the SHD? I’ve been using -10 maybe that’s one problem. Does input sensitivity affect the AES input?

Anyway I updated Volumio and it seems like maybe it’s louder but I have to wait until the extended family leaves to crank it.
I've had it at +4. I just experimented and put it to -10 but haven't listened. No idea if it matters or if it's for analog only.

birkbott

I went into the SHD software and boosted the gain by 12db in the settings, that outta do it.

KrafKloot

I am currently in the process of building my own version of the 708s thanks to mabats ath horn as seen on diyaudio.
I have settled for Eminence 151Ms in my own waveguide design, but i have trouble finding an 8" woofer playing well to 2kHz with reasonable clean SPL and lower end extension. If somebody has an idea, i would be delighted.

birkbott

I recently added a pair of LSR6312SP subs as stands under each speaker, crossed at 80hz. They are fantastic, too bad you can only find them used I don’t know what the current replacement for them would be.

Rahan

I recently added a pair of LSR6312SP subs as stands under each speaker, crossed at 80hz. They are fantastic, too bad you can only find them used I don’t know what the current replacement for them would be.
We are all waiting for a 7*** subwoofer... it's been a while now...

beefkabob

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
No reason to go all JBL with a sub. Other brands build better subs for less.

Rahan

It's really short cut to me. You said better. Well, better for what?
SPL capacity ? bandwidth? esthetic? connectivity?
There is no perfect speaker, it's a matter of compromise.
And at the end a matter of personal preference.

changer

Addicted to Fun and Learning
308p has wider horizontal dispersion, which increases the apparent size of the stereo image how you perceive it in front of you, and increases spaciousness in the listening space. 708p is more narrow and might present a slightly cleaner image (imaging vs. spaciousness and image size are a function of (horizontal) early reflections).

the 708p woofer is a low distortion high excursion design (for its age) which usually indicates an effortless, 'natural' reproduction, and the 2nd order harmonic distortion inherent to compression driver construction as seen with the 708p tweeter is usually held to be inaudible ad it is masked by the fundamental. This will contribute to a more refined sound of the 708p at higher playback levels.

The 308p features a port at the back that must be cleared by a couple of centimeters. If the speaker back is not to be positioned flush with the front wall, the advantage is that the lower-than-708p spurious frequencies of port resonance around 1 kHz will mostly be eliminated. The 708p showcases a considerably ancient approach to port design, that has been discussed in depth in this and the two 708i threads and was also chosen with the competitor Meyer Sound. However, even though the port resonance reaches the level of the fundamental at 500 Hz, it was not perceived as audible due to psychoacoustic masking effects.

The 708p is a high SPL design that enables sound engineers and mixers to produce for high SPL applications like cinemas. However, you might find yourself listening at SPL levels of only 65 dB, and distortion levels of the 308p might be well below your hearing's threshold. I always recommend to check at which levels you actually listen to music, and how dynamic it is. otherwise, you might dump a lot of money due to an over engineering approach which you will not benefit from.

If you consider a sound system for a block party, maybe get yourself a used PA.

patoulol

Forum Donor
I use strong correction in my room (audyssey DynEQ) and soon maybe DIRAC ART which also solicits

I'm listening to around 75Db

Logix

I just saw this post on Reddit about the 7 series and I wonder if someone knows something about this:
"The amp issue has largely been resolved. They were hesitant to create a mkII version which would admit some defeat for them. So they quietly rolled out an improved version with better thermals, which is on the shelf now."
So is it safe to buy a 708p right now?

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
I just saw this post on Reddit about the 7 series and I wonder if someone knows something about this:
"The amp issue has largely been resolved. They were hesitant to create a mkII version which would admit some defeat for them. So they quietly rolled out an improved version with better thermals, which is on the shelf now."

I don't know about that specifically, but I do know that they were having a TON of B-Stock sales from returned speakers early on, then I haven't seen any since.

I bought 9 of the 7 series monitors at half price and have been loving this setup for a few years now.

Pio

Forum Donor
Back in 2017 or 18, both of my 708’s had amp issues about a year apart. The amps were replaced and both have been perfect. In 2019 or so, I bought a pair of 705P’s (one was tested my Amir for this site), zero amp issues.

My 708’s run 6- 8 hours a day at home as my son uses them every single day.

The 705’s are in my office, I never turn them off and they’re subject to frequent significant listening levels.

Totally possible that the early versions had issues, but I would buy another set of 7’s without hesitation today. Hope this helps..

Logix

Grill vs no grill?
I'm not a big fan of the PA speaker look (or any speaker grill in general) and I just saw this picture on AVS, I might try to remove the grills but I'm not sure how easy it will be to put them back if needed... any experience from users here?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-03-21 at 3.56.39 AM.png
    Screenshot 2024-03-21 at 3.56.39 AM.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 53
Top Bottom