• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

JBL 4429 vs 4349

changer

Addicted to Fun and Learning
No need to measure IR, it’s useless. Until you have a DSP, this speaker is nothing but two raw drivers running in the same box, with a HP and a LP. That’s not a speaker.

OP
cany89

cany89

No need to measure IR, it’s useless. Until you have a DSP, this speaker is nothing but two raw drivers running in the same box, with a HP and a LP. That’s not a speaker.
At least there is a passive crossover. That’s something :D

OP
cany89

cany89

UPDATE!

After I saw the FR without DSP and how wrong it should be sounding (credits to @changer ) I tried my best to apply convolution. Got some help from @aac - thank you so much mate - and I'm shocked. I'm really humbled. Anyone reading this: please do not use studio monitors that need DSP without DSP. This is probably the wrongest wrong that I have ever done.

Anyway, not gonna use adjectives to describe how the sound changed. I'll make some measurements as soon as I got time and share the comparison here. Thanks, everyone.

OP
cany89

cany89

Some measurements:

- This is without room EQ, right channel. Orange is without filter, highlighted with filters.
(This measurement is around 1m away, others are from my listening area 2.5m appr.)
Screen Shot 2021-11-08 at 12.28.04.png

- Red one is 705, green is sub.

Screen Shot 2021-11-08 at 12.31.45.png

- This is how it looks final - without room EQ.
I hope bass will be a lot better when I change my crapy subs to SVS. But first I'll try my luck with EQ to see how it goes.

Screen Shot 2021-11-08 at 12.33.52.png

Left is almost the same after around 200 Hz, the room is not symmetric so the bass response is a bit different. If anyone can point to the region that would change the SQ most, I can try to fix it.

Cheers!

Jim Matthews

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Ok, I will ask a similar question as a total noob here... So you are saying, even with a single wire (no bi-amp hence, using the internal crossover) connection, I might still need more than PEQ - like delay, or rePhase in your M2 example?

So right now the horn and woofer might be out of phase!?
If you wire the connection with AES/EBU the signal remains in the digital domain and assigns "channels" I haven't read the impenetrable ADI-2 DAC manual deeply enough to verify how many channels can be assigned.

Certainly it can manage 2. I use mine with the 708p - which provide more than enough midrange and midbass energy in my room.

To pursue the same approach, I used a MiniDSP SHD studio which allowed 4 channels to be assigned and manages crossover to subs.

I ran the native DIRAC but determined the filter didn't make an appreciable improvement to the presentation - it just sounded different.

Short version - the 708p will provide most of what you're after from the passive JBL models *and* allow more flexibility for DSP.

OP
cany89

cany89

If you wire the connection with AES/EBU the signal remains in the digital domain and assigns "channels" I haven't read the impenetrable ADI-2 DAC manual deeply enough to verify how many channels can be assigned.
This might be the PRO version as normal ADI-2 FS that I have only got analog outs. But I got the idea.

I used a MiniDSP SHD studio which allowed 4 channels to be assigned and manages crossover to subs.
I just saw that while looking for a digital crossover with XLR in / out. My only complaint would be ADI-2s specs are probably better. So I'm not 100% convinced to put another powered unit after the ADI. Otherwise, it's just what I need - and a bit more since it's also a DAC and streamer. Still, it's much cheaper than an analog crossover that I was looking for.

Short version - the 708p will provide most of what you're after from the passive JBL models *and* allow more flexibility for DSP.
+1. They are probably the best route to upgrade along with new subs. Really looking forward to it.

Edit: salty a bit because you already have a great setup haha

Jim Matthews

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Edit: salty a bit because you already have a great setup haha
That was dumb luck. Other people sorted out most of these problems before I even thought about an upgrade.

I must admit to feeling a little deflated after getting this gear.
Within my budget, this is probably my last loudspeaker.

FaFaFa

Has anyone then been able to compare the 4429s with the 4349s in person? :)

Top Bottom